Blatant abuse of entry denials at Phuket Airport

14 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

You mean 'three-syllable adjective' not 'countable', Mr grammar police. 'Countable' refers to nouns not adjectives. If you are going to correct others, you shouldn't make worse errors, or should I say 'badder'.

'Stupider' is colloquial American usage. @dtag is off duty. 

Here's six syllables: Ready?

I was taking the pis*. Note the use of the word 'teacher.'

It's well known that Americans don't speak English anyway.

'I could care less.'

Pardon? That means you care to some degree.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Happened to me but was sent back to Laos and they cancelled my exit stamp. 

I didn't express it well. I recall your thread. Think you went back to Vientiane and entered via border with your intact valid TV. In any event, the guy I was typing about was refused entry to Thai and again to Vietnam. 

Guess you needed another Laos visa on arrival ?

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, acenase said:

I was surprised the visa isn't voided when you get denied entry.  This is what shocked me when I got denied entry. When I got my passport back I expected my Visa to have a "Void" stamp over it as well since I wasn't able to use it to enter.

Immigration is not allowed to void visas issued by embassies/consulates. Different ministries are involved. They choose to ignore the visas instead. Usually, immigration can only deny entry for the reasons given in Section 12 of the Immigration Act if you are entering with a visa. The stamp in your passport indicates one of the reasons under Section 12 which immigration claims apply (when they are quite aware their denial of entry is technically deficient). Indeed, there was a post recently by someone that suggests his denial was not even official as there was no entry in Immigration's computer system noting the denied entry.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dtag said:

I really find people trying to constantly change the facts of my story bizarre.

Does it bother you to share more about your Phnom Pehn visa story? I shared mine from February this year.

I'm just not clear of your previous history in Thailand before the non O (sorry non B), and how your application looked like in Phnom Pehn that generated that sort of stamp.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Very good question. Some time back a UK guy had a thread. He was obtaining setv back to back. Obtained last one Saigon. Denied entry DM. Flown back to Saigon. Refused entry even though UK are visa exempt Vietnam. Then sent to UK. 

They do not cancel exit stamp. 

Nope. U.K passport is not visa exempt. You can go without a visa for 15 days and then you cannot get another visa exempt period for another thirty days.

So you would need a visa. He could have applied for a visa-on-arrival whilst still in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Parker2100 said:

A new story that came out a couple days ago is that they are trying to attract East Africans to make up for the drop in Western Tourists.  <deleted>?!?!

To be fair to TAT, they must be wringing their hands in despair at immigration's recent tactics. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Very good question. Some time back a UK guy had a thread. He was obtaining setv back to back. Obtained last one Saigon. Denied entry DM. Flown back to Saigon. Refused entry even though UK are visa exempt Vietnam. Then sent to UK. 

When a person who used a visa exempt stamp to get into VN (Ppl from UK and a few other countries can get them, Americans and Canadians can't) , they can't get another one for 30 days after they departed. If they want to come in again earlier they need an actual visa. This would be a likely reason why this guy was refused entry. Some ppl have said an amount of money can stop this problem (pay some large amount at the airport and get let in) , but, a) i dont know for sure, and, b) it's a VN visa issue so no need giving it much airtime here.

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Nope. U.K passport is not visa exempt. You can go without a visa for 15 days and then you cannot get another visa exempt period for another thirty days.

So you would need a visa. He could have applied for a visa-on-arrival whilst still in Thailand.

Yes, the difference in the Vietnam situation is they would deny entry on a second successive 15 day visa exempt where there's less than a month since the previous one. A regular tourist visa for Vietnam would have allowed entry, but this requires pre-application, unlike Cambodia or Laos where you can get one on arrival at the airport.

Edited by lamyai3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's standard practice for teachers to enter on tourist visas or visa exempt after their Work Extensions are finished, while they look for a new job.

Then they are in Thailand illegally? On entering on Visa Exempt, or a SETV will they admit the reason as being, 'looking for employment'?

Then they are in Thailand illegally? On entering on Visa Exempt, or a SETV will they admit the reason as being, 'looking for employment'?
There is nothing illegal about looking for work while on visa exempt or a tourist visa. You find the job, attend the interview and then the school gives you the paperwork to apply for a non B visa and to start the work permit application process. In the past it was also possible to transfer to a non B at Immigration in Bangkok.
Once you have your work permit you start work.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes, the difference in the Vietnam situation is they would deny entry on a second successive 15 day visa exempt where there's less than a month since the previous one. A regular tourist visa for Vietnam would have allowed entry, but this requires pre-application, unlike Cambodia or Laos where you can get one on arrival at the airport.

Yes, you can apply on-line for visa on arrival approval letter to be sent within eight hours. Example here; https://www.myvietnamvisa.com/urgent-processing.html

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I didn't express it well. I recall your thread. Think you went back to Vientiane and entered via border with your intact valid TV. In any event, the guy I was typing about was refused entry to Thai and again to Vietnam. 

Guess you needed another Laos visa on arrival ?

Did not need to buy another visa but they made me write a letter saying I would leave the country within 5 days or something. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

What visa would you say is appropriate for someone in Thailand to look for work and attend interviews? The "genuine tourist" thing is frankly absurd. There are many uses of what is labelled a "tourist visa" which are not to do with visiting temples or swimming off the polluted beaches in Pattaya. The tourist visa is really a visit visa that does not allow working. That is one reason why the invented idea that you cannot use tourist visas for longer than some number of days (although there is no official rule) strikes me as wrong. If Thailand wants to restrict how long people can enjoy Thailand, and perhaps ban snowbirds who are not really regular tourists, they should promulgate rules to that effect.

Well certainly not Visa Exempt, or Tourist or Retirement as they certainly would be dishonestly using those types, not for purpose. Perhaps Non Imm B, EX. Or perhaps they should be recruited outside of Thailand. Do all the Cambodians, Burmese and Laotians pour over the border on Tourist Visas to then job hunt?

Edited by jacko45k

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well certainly not Visa Exempt, or Tourist or Retirement as they certainly would be dishonestly using those types, not for purpose. Perhaps Non Imm B, EX. Or perhaps they should be recruited outside of Thailand. Do all the Cambodians, Burmese and Laotians pour over the border on Tourist Visas to then job hunt?

There is only a Tourist or Visa Exempt available.  For a Non B you need an offer of a job; for an O visa you need a reason like being married to a Thai, having a Thai kid or retirement.  Looking for work is perfectly acceptable on a Tourist visa or Visa Exempt.  Working isn't, until you get the Non B and Work Permit.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Who has specified they are available to job seekers from all over the world?

They are available to anyone who meets the requirements.

There is no "job seekers" visa!

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

They are available to anyone who meets the requirements.

You mean?

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter Thailand for tourism and medical treatment purposes only.

Just now, jacko45k said:

You mean?

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter Thailand for tourism and medical treatment purposes only.

Nothing wrong with someone visiting looking for work. I don't know what point you're trying to prove.  But you have very little understanding about the visa process in Thailand.  Why not start a new thread, instead of hi-jacking this one?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You mean?

It has been officially announced, for instance, that you can use visa exempt entries or tourist visas to attend meetings and go to trade shows, including purchasing goods for your overseas company. Would you describe this as "tourism" or "medical treatment"?

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Nothing wrong with someone visiting looking for work. I don't know what point you're trying to prove.  But you have very little understanding about the visa process in Thailand.  Why not start a new thread, instead of hi-jacking this one?

Well you are not a moderator and I actually thought it was on topic wrt what people are using Tourist Visas for, and quite applicable to the OP. I was playing devil's advocate to a degree. 

Thailand may be aligning itself to other countries' perspectives. 

Edited by jacko45k

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It has been officially announced, for instance, that you can use visa exempt entries or tourist visas to attend meetings and go to trade shows, including purchasing goods for your overseas company. Would you describe this as "tourism" or "medical treatment"?

Ah, diversion. 

Has it been officially announced that Tourist Visas  can be used by all job seekers too?

This seems to be the crux wrt the OP.

Edited by jacko45k

On 7/7/2019 at 5:44 PM, FredGallaher said:

Comes off as being angry. Sorry to lecture but no one seems to have told you otherwise. To survive in Thailand a cool heart "jai yen" is required. Getting angry is viewed as low upbringing or status. Its not the way to get respect. Hope this helps you.

Yes, that is what they would like you to believe. It's a case of "do as I say, not what I do".

When I was having my house built, there were a lot of stupid errors. I was Jai yen yen and the errors and low standards persisted.

All this changed when I watched a few Thai soap-operas. I noticed that in all of them, the hi-sos would scream and shout at their servants.

Next time the builder made a stupid error, I jumped up and down and shouted at them.

Amazing what a touch of fear of being shouted at will do. Errors stopped and work quality went up.

I'm not saying Jai yen yen doesn't have a place, but, when it cl;early doesn't work and you get continuously taken advantage of, a good scream at the offending person can work wonders. The Thais do it, so, why not?

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Ah, diversion. 

Has it been officially announced that Tourist Visas  can be used by all job seekers too?

This seems to be the crux wrt the OP.

It is long established practice that you can use tourist visas to visit for all kinds of purposes that do not involve working, or (as I have pointed out) some limited kinds of work which is why they needed to be announced as acceptable. There is no way you are going to get a Non B or Non O visa to attend a job interview in Thailand, and spending 500,000 baht on an Elite visa because you might want to take up a job in Thailand seems excessive.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

and spending 500,000 baht on an Elite visa because you might want to take up a job in Thailand seems excessive.

Not to mention you can't actually get a work permit with Elite visa - you have to change to Non-B first.

• Like 2

Yes, the OP.

As I've already stated, there is likely to be more to this or it's a one-off Phuket error. There is no wider evidence that there has been any change. In fact, a number of ex-teachers I worked with have arrived recently on visa-exempt to continue their life here by (hopefully) finding a new job. 

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk