O-A VISA-Chicago Consulate Success

Got my O-A last Thursday by mail. Mailed it in the previous Thursday so 1 week turn around including mail time. I am starting travel to BKK in a hour or so.....27 hours with lay overs but if anyone has questions of my experience with Chicago I will try to help with your questions when I get there.

15 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Since you got your visa on or about  the dates for the new possibility of required health insurance. was anything mentioned about insurance by the consulate? 

As the maybe requirement date of Health Insurance being obligated for O-A Visas has passed (July 1st) and we have yet to see this being stipulated on O-A applications, I wouldn't be worrying about this. The latest fun rumour, if you want to fret, is a health insurance departure tax at the airport!

On 7/5/2019 at 4:35 AM, AAArdvark said:

Since you got your visa on or about  the dates for the new possibility of required health insurance. was anything mentioned about insurance by the consulate? 

Not required. Right before I sent everything, I checked the website to see if it had been added.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 6:28 PM, claynlr said:

Not required. Right before I sent everything, I checked the website to see if it had been added.

would be interested to read about the entire process you have the time.

My future life in Thailand will revolve around O-A visas 

Ok, here goes. 

1. Filled out the main VISA app form and the extra form.

2. Chicago wants “proof of retirement “. As I am not yet getting S.S. or a pension, I used the separation letter from my previous work and that was accepted. tried to phone and email Chicago for what they would accept but never got a response.

3. Medical Clearance...Right before my job ended, I had taken my annual company required physical. Took a copy of the results to my family doc and he did one blood test and signed off. Notarized by his staff.

4. Police clearance at State Police and notarized by them.

5. Last bank statement (3 weeks old) was below 800,000 so added a notarized letter from the bank showing the current balance was above after I transferred money to get it above.

Included a self addressed express small envelope for the return of the passport. Put everything in an express envelope including a money order for $200 and 2 passport pics.

Think that’s all. Ask anything and I will try to answer. Mailed on a Thursday and received back the following Thursday.