Elite visa - kiss of death for opening a bank account

13 minutes ago, simon43 said:

My decision to relocate to Luang Prabang, Laos (where I can open a bank account without any problem) was the right decision.

A bit extreme over a bank account. Why would you think donating to charities would get you an account? banks could care less about it

Edited by madmen
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

when I open a bank account I say "I want to put one million baht into a savings account. Can you help me with this?" 
I have only done it twice but both times no problems.  And of course I always dress like I am going to a important business meeting.

Will you be so kind and let us know the type of visa you have in your US passport?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, moana said:

How? The last time I tried to open a bank account in Laos they REQUIRED a work permit, and I tried all the big banks. A work permit in Laos is easy to get, but goes for around $600.

My business visa and WP cost about $500 per year,  very good value to avoid bank hassles, TM30 hassles, 90 day reports etc. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Well done to all of you who were able to open bank accounts - my thread was specifically about problems opening a bank account when on an Elite visa.

To reply to specific comments, Thailand Elite said that they couldn't help. My comments about the donations is to explain to the bank why I need the account. I'm not moving to Laos because of my banking problems! The regime for expats is a lot less intrusive (based on my own experiences when I lived there in 2012/13)

Elite Visa should open a bank account for you.

It's meant to be one of the benefits you get when you purchase it.

https://www.thailandelite.com/privilege?locate=en

and go to Banking - looks like accounts can be open with Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn.

You should contact them again

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

.. of course you didn't use that service because?!?!?!?!

...because as I already said,  I asked Thailand Elite and they said they couldn't help... 

[sarcasm]

You're obviously right -it must be me [/sarcasm]

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Having an expensive Elite visa is of no benefit if you want to open a bank account. 

As others stated, if you contact them they will help.

Same thing if you take a Thai friend with you and go to CIMB, you can open an account on any visa.

Or if you go to Bangkok Bank Headquarters with proof of residence or passport copy notarized by Embassy.

Or if you go to Krungsri, which is the friendliest. 

Or some Kbank branches.

It's been a hit and miss for years now with Thai banks. You somehow assumed that having an Elite visa would ensure red carpet treatment everywhere. That's mainly due to the false advertisment of the company a few years back, that "you can live like a Thai citizen", "you can open  a bank account". Yes, you can open a bank account at some Kasikorn (maybe), and Bangkok Bank Silom HQ with their "introduction", not anywhere else.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

Why don't you go to the branch that knows you .... having been here for so long ?

I am on retirement visa ... no salary .

I recently opened a Foreign Currency account and a new deposit account at Bangkok Bank .. takes a few days for forms to be sent to BKK ... but as long as you know the staff they will help you .... the main requirement is a proof of residency letter from immigration .

Yes as i already said we used that service, last week.

Not the EPL service tho, as we have 2 legs ourselves and don't need a babysitter.

simply walk with the invitation letter and your elite card to the bank address they give you...

You should post the email here where thai elite declines to help you, i am burning to know what they told you.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Going about this properly wouldn't support the confirmation bias Simon43 is persistently seeking and writing about in justification of his choice to leave Thailand. 

Well, I'll make it easier for him.

Thai Elite was not what he thought it was, people had higher expectations from it, such as IO's at land borders actually knowing what it represents.

But it's all a kitsch anyway, like many other things in Thailand.

My concern would be what will happen when Simon discovers the kitsch of Laos, that only people living there for a while can.

At least, to be on his side, 500 dollars gets you visa and work permit, and as far as I understand, access to Thai METV.

Edited by lkv

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

So many of us, and suddenly you too. Not sure why you would need a thai bank acc in LAOS tho, i heard their banking is so excellent it's even controlled by the IMF.

Lao banks are not supported by Paypal service - you cannot withdraw your Paypal funds to a Lao bank account.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

And of course I always dress like I am going to a important business meeting.

You nailed it. Every time I go to the bank, I dress like a king. And they treat me accordingly. In Thailand, money talks a little, but image takes you everywhere.

• Like 2

Last week I tried to open a bank account where I'm staying in Bueng Kan. I explained (when asked), that I do not work in Thailand but am a volunteer, teaching English for free, and I also showed my wad of donation receipts from registered Thai charities.

Bangkok Bank said no, (even though I have an account with Bangkok Bank since 2002)

TMB said that they don't open accounts for foreigners (even though I had an account with TMB about 15 years ago).

It's absolute rubbish that TMB don't open bank accounts for foreigners as a general policy.

What it likely means is that an (up-country bank) clerk either didn't want to deal with a foreigner for whatever reason (most likely) - you know: can't speak English, too difficult as they've not done one personally before, doesn't like foreigners, bad hair day etc etc; or that particular up country branch doesn't/ doesn't want to open accounts for foreigners  (possible). 

Even on TMB's website it alludes to the fact foreigners can open accounts. On the Thai version it says to bring "original ID card = bart prachachon tua jing" . On the  English one it says: 

"national ID card or other ID card bearing your photo and issued by government authorities."

As mentioned in your other thread, TMB Central Rama III was fine for us. Various staff speak OK English

Sounds like your issue generally in Bangkok was the Thai Elite Visa. So useful to know that. Again something out of the ordinary for your average bank clerk.

Glad you got it sorted ????

BTW Hope you also applied for internet banking. Their internet banking is fine. There are also other accounts you can open online once started. Occasional limit issue around channels used. Mobile banking is fine too.

Edited by fletchsmile

22 hours ago, simon43 said:

Well done to all of you who were able to open bank accounts - my thread was specifically about problems opening a bank account when on an Elite visa.

To reply to specific comments, Thailand Elite said that they couldn't help. My comments about the donations is to explain to the bank why I need the account. I'm not moving to Laos because of my banking problems! The regime for expats is a lot less intrusive (based on my own experiences when I lived there in 2012/13)

Bangkok Bank absolutely open bank accounts for those on Elite visa. Part of the Elite visa service is to assist in opening bank accounts. I had two lovely assistants meet me at Silom BB headquarters to supply this very service. A few months later I went back to Bangkok bank on my own to open a second account, showed them my first account details and my Elite card and was out with a new account within 1 hour.

Not sure how you are approaching the Elite visa staff or what questions you are asking but as you can see from the replies here it is doable.

• Like 2

(To the OP)

You sound like a bit of a drama queen. Take a friend with an account at the bank you wish to open an account with. A referral is one of the options that Bangkok Bank, and probably others, accept in lieu of their more ridiculous requirements.

Not really sure why you’re pretending you’d be in deep trouble if you lost your atm card either. You can get a replacement at any branch, while you wait, so in the worst case you’d be slightly inconvenienced for a few hours (assuming you lost it when the bank was closed). You could also have just got a credit card with a very small limit if you wanted an extra card. Or two ATM cards for the same account...Why didn’t you just do that?

I’d hate to move to Laos. Very backward compared to Thailand.

You have to pay $500 for a visa and work permit (even though you’re not working), just so you can open a bank account in Laos, and you think it’s a better option than Thailand? That’s funny.

Edited by Mark1066
  • Confused 1