Harbor Mall- Very quiet....Can it survive?

fforest1

20 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

It should be closed and reinvented as a nightlife area along the lines of the four floors of whores in Singapore, with gogo bars and beer bars and so on. There won't be any prostitutes, of course, so it can be called four floors of no whores.

forget your four floors name...but that is actually a good idea...go go like nana plaza, but more up class

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

There's also a good D.I.Y. store in "The Chilled" mall on Khao Noi, about 3 kms east of Sukhumvit. That mall, however, is also missing the boat for overall business. It has a decent Tops market on the first floor; and the aforementioned D.I.Y. is on the second floor. But there are no good fast food shops or chain restaurants, when there is a desperate shortage of those (Carl's Jr. or Burger King, Subway, Santa Fe, Black Canyon, Fuji, etc.) on the Darkside.

They have a food court, but it's a joke. Recently, they've started clogging up the first floor with open racks of cheap clothes and other stuff that's only attractive to very low income Thais. The owners need to wake up to the fact that there are significant numbers of Farangs on the Darkside who would very much like to make use of such businesses without dealing with the ordeal of crossing the RR tracks and Sukhumvit, and getting swallowed up in the west side traffic. 

Never seen a food court in Chilled. They do have a good restaurant there but no customers. The downside of the restaurant is that it has a large outside area and a stage that hosts bands on Friday and Saturday nights. The noise is horrendous and can be heard all over the Darkside, much to the annoyance of the locals.

There is a good little restaurant inside Tops. Older guy with a chef's hat really knows his stuff. Popular with Thais and farangs. I've seen Lam Morrison eating in there a couple of times.

H.M. is fairly busy during the weekends, Thais coming with their kids.

Doubt the shops and restaurants can survive if only some businesses during the weekends.

Its a odd building, very deep and narrow (likely because of the land plot they could get), Central and T21 are much better layed-out in my opinion.  

Yes, Petemoss, the restaurant you mentioned is called "Over The Moon". I've eaten there a few times; but not recently. For some time, they had changed their opening time to 3 PM. I had gone there for lunch in the past, so that ended with the 3PM time. They've now gone back to opening at noon. I would recommend it to anyone. It's a comfortable place, with good service, and good, reasonably priced food. ... But I still believe they'd get a lot more traffic if they convinced some well known fast food chains and restaurants to open there. ... I also agree that the little diner-like restaurant inside Tops is a decent food option. It's similar to the popular diner inside Foodland; though doesn't have nearly as many menu options. ... The food court is on the second floor, opposite the D.I.Y. store, beside the large (and nearly always empty) dim sum + restaurant. 

Let me make it clear that, despite my criticisms, I am very happy that "The Chilled" opened. I visit there at least twice a week; usually to shop at Tops, one of only 2 super markets here on the Darkside. The other is Fresh Market on Siam CC Road, about 1 km from Sukhumvit; and a bit better than Tops, actually. The presence of those two markets saves me a lot of time and frustration, as they serve most of our needs, and minimize the need to deal with crossing the disastrous RR "bypass" intersection and Sukhumvit!

3 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

H.M. is fairly busy during the weekends, Thais coming with their kids.

Doubt the shops and restaurants can survive if only some businesses during the weekends.

Its a odd building, very deep and narrow (likely because of the land plot they could get), Central and T21 are much better layed-out in my opinion.  

IMO, Harbor Mall would have been MUCH more successful had they built it a few kms east of Sukhumvit, on Siam CC Road. I don't understand why Thai and foreign developers continue to ignore the opportunity for a major mall on the Darkside. The population, both Thai and Farang, is definitely there to support it. ... "If you build it, they will come!" 

40 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

IMO, Harbor Mall would have been MUCH more successful had they built it a few kms east of Sukhumvit, on Siam CC Road. I don't understand why Thai and foreign developers continue to ignore the opportunity for a major mall on the Darkside. The population, both Thai and Farang, is definitely there to support it. ... "If you build it, they will come!" 

Maybe, but they seems to focus on the tourists.

We live quite close to T21 so go there often for lunch/dinner, T21 is all about the restaurants, there are a handful we found very good. 

12 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

I agree....Harbor mall would be doing much much better on the dark side.......The dark side in my opinion is set to really take off......I am sure rents are way way cheaper on the dark side for businesses.....

38 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Never seen a food court in Chilled. They do have a good restaurant there but no customers. The downside of the restaurant is that it has a large outside area and a stage that hosts bands on Friday and Saturday nights. The noise is horrendous and can be heard all over the Darkside, much to the annoyance of the locals.

Eat there ? What with the dire stench half the time ?

I'm really surprised its still going. When I left 8 months ago they had no customers, I really cannot see how they survive. As for the music, I get the feeling that they must have an ad in the local press saying they'll let bands play for free. They'd have better success changing the restaurant to a KFC.

Me and the wife think they should move Mr DIY downstairs and make the upstairs into a cinema for all of us too lazy to pop into town

14 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Maybe, but they seems to focus on the tourists.

We live quite close to T21 so go there often for lunch/dinner, T21 is all about the restaurants, there are a handful we found very good. 

At A PRICE !!!....

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, balo said:
How can you expect them to be busy after Terminal 21 was built? 

It doesn't mean Pattaya is dead, just too many malls right now. 

It was similarly empty before T21

this is why the keep on building condo blocks.....to entice buyers/renters to come to the area then they will fill all the empty malls !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes and I am going to win the lottery !!!!

There's also a good D.I.Y. store in "The Chilled" mall on Khao Noi, about 3 kms east of Sukhumvit. That mall, however, is also missing the boat for overall business. It has a decent Tops market on the first floor; and the aforementioned D.I.Y. is on the second floor. But there are no good fast food shops or chain restaurants, when there is a desperate shortage of those (Carl's Jr. or Burger King, Subway, Santa Fe, Black Canyon, Fuji, etc.) on the Darkside.
They have a food court, but it's a joke. Recently, they've started clogging up the first floor with open racks of cheap clothes and other stuff that's only attractive to very low income Thais. The owners need to wake up to the fact that there are significant numbers of Farangs on the Darkside who would very much like to make use of such businesses without dealing with the ordeal of crossing the RR tracks and Sukhumvit, and getting swallowed up in the west side traffic. 
Sounds like a business opportunity for you and the wife, let us know how it goes

25 minutes ago, patsfangr said:

Yes, Petemoss, the restaurant you mentioned is called "Over The Moon". I've eaten there a few times; but not recently. For some time, they had changed their opening time to 3 PM. I had gone there for lunch in the past, so that ended with the 3PM time. They've now gone back to opening at noon. I would recommend it to anyone. It's a comfortable place, with good service, and good, reasonably priced food. ... But I still believe they'd get a lot more traffic if they convinced some well known fast food chains and restaurants to open there. ... I also agree that the little diner-like restaurant inside Tops is a decent food option. It's similar to the popular diner inside Foodland; though doesn't have nearly as many menu options. ... The food court is on the second floor, opposite the D.I.Y. store, beside the large (and nearly always empty) dim sum + restaurant. 

Let me make it clear that, despite my criticisms, I am very happy that "The Chilled" opened. I visit there at least twice a week; usually to shop at Tops, one of only 2 super markets here on the Darkside. The other is Fresh Market on Siam CC Road, about 1 km from Sukhumvit; and a bit better than Tops, actually. The presence of those two markets saves me a lot of time and frustration, as they serve most of our needs, and minimize the need to deal with crossing the disastrous RR "bypass" intersection and Sukhumvit!

Agree with most of what you say but don't agree about Freshfood. When it first opened, the restaurant did really good food, gay head chef was really friendly and would do anything to accommodate your needs. We ate there nearly every day. Then the powers that be decided to take most of the farang food off the menu. Went from somewhere that was difficult to get a seat to somewhere that is usually empty very quickly. Don't Thais understand "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?

Tops is a better supermarket, more choice and generally cheaper. I never visit Freshfood now.

Also disagree on the bypass, I find crossing from Soi Siam to Pattaya Klang much easier now than it ever has been.

Anyway must go, off to Tops for a few bits and pieces!

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree, probably in the next 50 years it will be popular. People have been talking up the darkside for the last 50 years

Sorry mate but you're talking out of your darkside! :cheesy:

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No, no geoff... it's Harbour Mall that's quiet. The OP hasn't suggested anything about Pattaya.

Yes, why do you have to "walk all the way down to beach road in the sun." ?

How would you get back down to beach road, and central or south pattaya?

It was built in the wrong place ,malls need tourists ,tourists dont go near there ,all of us who use foodland ,drive there ,and most of the traffic into harbour mall are again locals who drive , nothing much worth going there for ,used to go to the supermarket from time to time ,as we used to go to the one on the way to Sri Racha , but both have gone the same way ,closed down .

On 7/9/2019 at 1:28 PM, Dexlowe said:

Singapore, with gogo bars and

I heard about that Orchard Towers...  seemed they had different ethnic groups on each level ....I mean that’s what I heard...

I have never seen it busy and have been there at least a dozen times. Half the retail units are empty of tenants and the other half empty of customers.

Good management would have the place a chance but as it is there is no hope. 30% of the space is given over to play areas - and it a big enough place for 30% to be a lot plus the prices mean local Thais for the most part can’t afford it.

The retail areas are a mess with seemingly little plannng. They need to slash rents and even offer incentives to get back to the tipping point needed for a mall to work - they are a long way away from that.

On 7/9/2019 at 2:00 PM, newnative said:

I hope the management is at least offering steeply reduced rent--or no rent--to hold on to the remaining stores--and thinking of ways to relaunch this sinking ship.

This is Thailand.  The lower the demand the higher the price!

On 7/10/2019 at 10:23 AM, fforest1 said:

I agree....Harbor mall would be doing much much better on the dark side.......The dark side in my opinion is set to really take off....

I have changed my opinion of the DS.  I do not think it is that bad of a place to live.  If you have a motorbike or car and live not far from Sukhumvit.

But, where is it going to take off too? Sorry, I see very slow growth there in the future. Most people I know have never been there and definitely tourists have no interest, which may be a good thing for full-time residents.

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have changed my opinion of the DS.  I do not think it is that bad of a place to live.  If you have a motorbike or car and live not far from Sukhumvit.

But, where is it going to take off too? Sorry, I see very slow growth there in the future. Most people I know have never been there and definitely tourists have no interest, which may be a good thing for full-time residents.

The dark side might as well be on Mars for people with out transportation....If you have a motor bike its not far at all...5-10 minutes away...

Archived