Crackdown! Tourists in Pattaya face jail for riding motorcycles without a licence

Jonathan Fairfield

22 minutes ago, Arkady said:

ime was in the UK that you can get one in a high street AA shop on the spot for a 5 pound fee but you have to send off for them now. 

£7 at any Post Office a year ago.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read this forum daily for some months now, seldom if ever reply because the replies are usually just crap thrown by the peanut gallery... But this OP topic takes the cake- tourists face jail, not a word about Thai people facing the same fate for the same misdemeanour.

So, the Thais have invented *another reason to make tourists feel unwelcome! And, some new reason tomorrow? 

Don’t worry, Thais, I got sick of you and your country long ago. Fact: Too many better choices in Southeast Asia!

9 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

They face a month in jail or a one thousand baht fine.

I say add three more zeros to that fine. That will keep their arrogant butts off the bikes without a license. They can afford it! 

2 hours ago, BestB said:

100% incorrect. Whoever they are just being nice to accept it, legally you must produce your home country DL along with international driving permit.

IDP cost around $50 from memory and nothing but a piece of paper but it is still a formality which one must follow when want to drive in a foreign country 

According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDPis not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are.

14 minutes ago, anexpat said:

I have read this forum daily for some months now, seldom if ever reply because the replies are usually just crap thrown by the peanut gallery... But this OP topic takes the cake- tourists face jail, not a word about Thai people facing the same fate for the same misdemeanour.

So, the Thais have invented *another reason to make tourists feel unwelcome! And, some new reason tomorrow? 

Don’t worry, Thais, I got sick of you and your country long ago. Fact: Too many better choices in Southeast Asia!

RE - Don’t worry, Thais, I got sick of you and your country long ago. Fact: Too many better choices in Southeast Asia!

* With other Words - from the ashes to the fire .. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, rodknock said:

so when are they going to have a crack down on Thai's, most do not have a license!!! how many police have a license???

another joke of the day.

need more in the brown bag!!!!

horse and pony show.

it never ends!!

it is not about law enforcement or safety, it is about one thing only - money and the ability to pay

1 hour ago, Crustyhk said:

According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDPis not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are.

Incorrect one can only drive with his home country license IF there is a direct treaty between his home country and Thailand, otherwise IDP is required.

Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

11 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

tourists who rent motorcycles without a licence

The tourist gets a month in jail but the rental shop gets fined 2000 baht. Maybe it would work better if the weight of punishment was the other way around. But let's get real - enforcement will be sparse if at all and yet another 'crackdown' will disappear with today's wash water.

11 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Simply put they are such dumbsh$ts they honestly believe that fleecing the tourist (because they know a threat of jail will produce a big bung) is the road to short term income gains. They are a state sponsored mafia after all. The long term interests of the country are irrelevant to them, beyond their grasp.

I had this conversation with my Thai Lady about the rental operators being held responsible. In typical Thai fasion they create a money machine for themselves to fleece tourists.(i have to agree that this last season i saw very aggressive driving behaviors from various persons)

So many tourists die on scooters in Phuket im happy to see this because even though many tourists will be fleeced, many tourists also won't die. The motive is money then saving lives, rental companies will only be charged if a tourist dies if at all they will never pay a fine for renting the scooter to a tourist.

For me the message is strong and very clear! Time to find another country to live in, hopefully a country that is not a State run Mafia or atleast not so arrogant about it.

So few get rich while the rest of the Thai people live in fear. This fuels the racism that exists regarding Farangs and Thai Males. I was going to say it creates a false sense of reality but it actually makes it very real considering most Thai's never answer for swarming or even killing a Farang. You see the headlines but we all know its the follow through that matters headlines are for the ignorant. 

My money is leaving Thailand 

every day, one reads about road accidents involving cars and motocylists in thailand, if i've got it right, this means those accidents are caused only by farangs, right? so what about the locals who drive around without helmets, they won't be fined?

This special crackdown doesn't need to happen...   it should be part and parcel of the role of the police to stop and fine anybody who is not complying with the law, re helmet, license and insurance, irrespective of colour or creed. Start confiscating vehicles and you will halve the number of accidents in a day.

13 hours ago, BestB said:

In the mean time , thai are allowed to ride and drive without a license with a 500 baht fine.

such measures needed to be introduced because it is foreigners who are the source of all road fatalities in Thailand????

Not knocking the decision just curious why same law does not apply to locals 

Where did you get that from?  The OP states that the fine is B1000 or jail, as does the Motor Vehicle Act, not B500.  The same law applies to foreigners and locals.

13 hours ago, wendyfromoz said:

what about the people who rent the bikes to unlicenced persons.  Why dont unlicenced thais get prison.

Read the OP, they get fined twice as much!  Prison is an alternative punishment at a courts discretion, it's not mandatory.

13 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Simply put they are such dumbsh$ts they honestly believe that fleecing the tourist (because they know a threat of jail will produce a big bung) is the road to short term income gains. They are a state sponsored mafia after all. The long term interests of the country are irrelevant to them, beyond their grasp.

"Simply put they are such dumbsh$ts…"

Who are and why?  In the OP they are simply quoting the law which states a B1000 fine, same for Thais, or prison.

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

...at least we will be seeing fewer insurance companies skip out of paying hospital bills, as people will be properly licensed and legal on the roads.

In that situation insurers are not "skipping out of paying hospital bills"! They are entirely within their rights not to pay invalid claims.

Pol Maj Arut said that all tourists must be in possession of an international driving licence (or other legal permit) to rent and ride a motorcycle at the resort. 

Khun Arut, there's no such thing as an International driving license. 

Is it only me, or do others also feel a new wave of hate against foreigners in the Land of non existing Smiles? 

The use of "tourists"doesn't change anything. It's a very strange article against foreigners, nothing less. The tone is getting really ridiculous. One month in jail, or 1,000 baht?

Why not one month in jail for the guys who rent bikes to foreigners? What would Thailand look like without the tourists who are now handled like gangsters?

Do they really believe that we're all a bunch of criminals? 

As long as Thais pay their 200 baht when caught without license all seems to be fine. Can't you smell the smell? 

Archived