Swedish "YouTuber" sticks to his guns: Claims cop took 1,000 baht from him

webfact

Swedish "YouTuber" sticks to his guns: Claims cop took 1,000 baht from him

From-Nicklas-Aittamaa.jpg

Picture: Nicklas Aittamaa

The Swedish blogger and YouTuber on a round the world motorcycle tour who says he was fleeced of 1,000 baht after trying to ride on the tollway in Bangkok has provided Thaivisa with a photo of the motorcycle cop who he claims took his money. 

The development in the story comes as police in Bangkok mount their own investigation after initially claiming that no money changed hands

Nicklas Aittamaa told Thaivisa:

"I was fined 1,000 baht on the spot instead of 500 baht at the police station," he claimed. 

Referring to a picture he supplied to Thaivisa he alleged: "The guy driving this motorcycle is the guy who took my money. 

"He is wearing a "tollway police" uniform as is the other guy in the frame.

"This happened on the 7th of May."

Nicklas - described in the Thai media as a YouTuber despite only having followers in the hundreds - promised to supply a "Gopro" video of the transaction shortly. 

"It will take some time before I have access to the footage from my Gopro," he said without explaining further. 

He is now believed to be touring in Malaysia.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-12
  • Like 1

But the fine is 1,000 baht for driving on the expressway. There are signs at just about every entrance. Even if there was no sign where he got on ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. There are no sign saying you can't drive on a sidewalk either. Whether or nor he got a receipt for his infraction is a different storey.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was confused about that as well. There is a big sign before my nearest tollway entrance saying 1000 baht fine for motorcycles so I don’t understand why he was moaning that the fine would only be 500 baht down the police station.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

He wasn't the first and he won't be the last to get fleeced. I got fleeced at for Bt1,000 cash by tollway police. The choice was Bt400 with a receipt and he would keep my license for collection which would mean a 4 hour drive or Bt1,000 cash with no receipt for the express service. He said I changed lanes to fast. Welcome to Thailand.

• Sad 1

I was stopped in Bangkok one time and fined 1,000 baht.

2 minutes later another one tried for another 1,000 baht but I spoke to him in Thai and said, "come on man, I've only got 1,000 and I didn't eat lunch yet."  So he just took 500.  :cheesy:

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Although this guy was clearly in the wrong legally, for driving his bike on the tollway, the law is a ridiculous one to begin with. Nobody has any idea why you cannot drive a big bike on the tollways. Thailand might be the only nation in the world that forbids this. Most nations encourage it, as bikes clearly reduce highway congestion, and riders should be rewarded, rather than penalized for driving them. However, that requires a progressive mindset. It can be argued that Thailand is one of the LEAST progressive nations on earth, and with the current Goombahs continuing to lead the nation, more of the same is to be expected.

One thing I do praise this guy for, is continuing to harass the police on social media. This is a good thing. Anything that can be done to expose the franchisees is positive. They have carte blanche, and it should not be that way. And if anything, the army is there to protect the franchisees, not prosecute them. There is no fight against corruption. Zero. 

The reason that they don't allow it is that, for once, they are acknowledging that the Thai people that ride these bikes are lunatics and can't be trained or trusted to ride safely. For once, they are right to ban them. 

First off, I often see signs at the expressway entrances say “No Motorcycle????“, “฿1000”.

Second, I consider it luck when the police take the money to the station for me.  On the rare occasion over my 20 years here when I had to go to the station to pay, I was less happy.

Boohoo to Mr. Swedish man.  BTW, it only takes 5 mins from GoPro to social media.  I call bullshit on Mr. Swedish man.

• Like 2

the cop was in his right if there is a sign at the toll way stating a 1.000 baht fine for motorbikes on freeway, what the swede needs is a photo or video of the toll way he went through showing no such sign good luck with that

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Reigntax said:

The gopro footage will make it hard to deny. But I'm sure they will find a way.

Simple misunderstanding,  it was a donation to the policeman's widows and orphans fund. Nothing to see here. :tongue:

2 hours ago, twizzian said:

I’ve been here long enough and out on the bike every day.

Never been stopped or robbed by police.

I'll have a stab in the dark, you don't live in Pattaya? Have you never read the endless posts of why people don't return to Thailand? They are fed up with the constant harrassment/corruption by the police, one of the things being motorbikes. Just because you've not been stopped doesn't mean it's not happening. Someone has to win the lottery whatever the odds are.

I only know what I read and prefer not to pass judgement as I am not qualified,  involved, nor am I paying the man's way in life. My own experience with Thai police is not complimentary. There must be honest police out there, but from personal experience, I haven't met him.

Soon to be deported for working in Thailand without a permit (assuming he doesn't have one)....., they'll find a way to get rid of him.

Same as that chicken selling fugitive, the farang singing songs about he Government,  what is wrong with these people <deleted>, PAY THE FINE MOVE ON, no need to draw attention to yourself.

Edited by spoon1967
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Although this guy was clearly in the wrong legally, for driving his bike on the tollway, the law is a ridiculous one to begin with. Nobody has any idea why you cannot drive a big bike on the tollways. Thailand might be the only nation in the world that forbids this. Most nations encourage it, as bikes clearly reduce highway congestion, and riders should be rewarded, rather than penalized for driving them. However, that requires a progressive mindset. It can be argued that Thailand is one of the LEAST progressive nations on earth, and with the current Goombahs continuing to lead the nation, more of the same is to be expected.

One thing I do praise this guy for, is continuing to harass the police on social media. This is a good thing. Anything that can be done to expose the franchisees is positive. They have carte blanche, and it should not be that way. And if anything, the army is there to protect the franchisees, not prosecute them. There is no fight against corruption. Zero. 

Isn't it allowed to drive a motorbike above a certain cylindry? I thought that only scooters 125-150 could not go on highway...otherwise how to do if you have a 500CC or a 1000CC ? This would be pure nonsense ! And the police itself was driving motorbike on the highway it seems...

This is an odd story as one can not get on the tollway without first collecting a card or paying a toll. I got lost once upon a time and ended up at the toll booth on my XJ400 and was immediately met by one of the lane control guys that guided me around the booth. From there I was told to park my bike and was presented to the officer on duty behind a desk in one of those temporary buildings off to the side. He made a note in his log book and told me to get off at the next exit. There was no demand for money..this was at least 10 years ago.. 

Will they magically find some paperwork which says the copper deposited the fine to the police station. Only problem being one copper has already stated that the police officer merely gave a warning and didn’t take any money. 

Anyhoo, if he can supply footage where he paid, will be interesting to see the excuses.