British police to investigate leak of ambassador's memos

rooster59

British police to investigate leak of ambassador's memos

2019-07-12T191340Z_1_LYNXNPEF6B1KO_RTROPTP_4_USA-BRITAIN-TRUMP.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's ambassador to the United States Kim Darroch listens as U.S. President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Theresa May hold a joint news conference at the White House in Washington, U.S., January 27, 2017. Picture taken January 27, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - British police on Friday said they had opened an investigation into a leak of confidential memos that led to the resignation of the British ambassador to Washington.

Kim Darroch quit on Wednesday after Donald Trump called him "stupid" and "wacky" following the publication of the confidential memos by a newspaper. In them, Darroch called Trump's administration inept.

London's Metropolitan Police said its counter-terrorism command, which takes national responsibility for investigating allegations of criminal breaches of the Official Secrets Act, was leading the investigation.

"Given the widely reported consequences of that leak I am satisfied that there has been damage caused to UK international relations, and there would be clear public interest in bringing the person or people responsible to justice," Met Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said in a statement.

"I would say to the person or people who did this, the impact of what you have done is obvious. However, you are now also responsible for diverting busy detectives from undertaking their core mission. You can stop this now. Turn yourself in at the earliest opportunity, explain yourself and face the consequences."

Basu added a warning to journalists and publishers that they could be in breach of the law if they published further details from the memos.

"The publication of leaked communications, knowing the damage they have caused or are likely to cause, may also be a criminal matter," he said.

"I would advise all owners, editors and publishers of social and mainstream media not to publish leaked government documents that may already be in their possession, or which may be offered to them, and to turn them over to the police or give them back to their rightful owner, Her Majesty’s Government."

(Reporting By Andrew MacAskill; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-13

• Haha 2

I hope they get the rat soon.

My thoughts go back to where the leak may have occurred and that is the the FO, this could end up with the new PM whoever it be finding his position untenable within days of taking office.  

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I am satisfied that there has been damage caused to UK international relations, and there would be clear public interest in bringing the person or people responsible to justice

Look no further than the 'dip'lomat'sh_t' who made them. True TDS in evidence.

Anybody understand body language of Sir Kim in that picture?  Not sure that Sir Kim's opinion of POTUS is all that secret, seems lots of others already suspected POTUS was inept, etc... You know,  " What He Said ".  ????

8 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

The Rorschach method of news analysis

9 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Anybody understand body language of Sir Kim in that picture?  Not sure that Sir Kim's opinion of POTUS is all that secret, seems lots of others already suspected POTUS was inept, etc... You know,  " What He Said ".  ????

Double Ditto

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"I would say to the person or people who did this, the impact of what you have done is obvious. However, you are now also responsible for diverting busy detectives from undertaking their core mission. You can stop this now. Turn yourself in at the earliest opportunity, explain yourself and face the consequences."

These investigations divert resources and cost a lot of money, Give yourself up and suffer the consequences so you can save as money and trouble. ????

This Commissioner must be some short of FN genius!! I wonder why they have not employed this technique in the past? think of all the money and trouble they could had saved.

8 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

The UK ambassador did absolutely nothing wrong (and nothing out of the ordinary) here. It's the job of an ambassador to give a full and frank assessment of his host country's government. The comments were made (some a couple of years ago now) via secure diplomatic channels and then deliberately leaked by somebody in either the UK government or civil service. 

If there's anybody at fault here, it's the person who leaked these confidential diplomatic cables, not the person who was carrying out his duties in the proper manner. Which is why the UK police have launched a criminal investigation.

It's exactly the same situation as when US diplomatic cables about various governments around the world were disclosed by WikiLeaks back in 2010. One cable for instance described the "thin-skinned and authoritarian personal style" of French president Nicolas Sarkozy. Although several of the leaked cables contained similarly embarrassing statements about foreign governments and heads of state, I don't recall any of the diplomats involved, being criticised for the things they said.