Thai thief who stole from Japanese tourist at Bangkok airport is arrested

rooster59

Thai thief who stole from Japanese tourist at Bangkok airport is arrested

ea112208cc111f390f7feecd8ba54ad52119496aa65234d152d8675b9851383d.jpg

Image: Siam Rath

The Thai tourist police led by chief Lt-Gen Theeraphon Khupatanon announced the arrest yesterday of a 35 year old thief preying on tourists at Suvarnabhumi airport. 

Suphachai Chaimeuang was arrested in a room in Seri Thai Soi 44 after stealing a black bag from Masahide Kinoshita (name adjusted by Thaivisa) on June 24th. 

A warrant had been issued by the Samut Prakarn court on July 6th. 

The tourist had been waiting for a flight back to Japan on the fourth floor but fell asleep with his bag under a seat.

Suphachai - who had been hanging around the airport since the previous evening - was shown on CCTV getting close then with sleight of hand using his own bag as cover making off with the tourist's bag. 

Inside was 200,000 yen, a phone, computer notebook and valuable documents and other possessions. 

Suphachai then went to the toilets and changed his clothes before leaving the airport.

He admitted to removing the contents of the tourist's bag and dumping it laden with rocks in a canal. 

He has been charged with theft at an airport. 

Source: Siam Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-13

2 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The Thai tourist police led by chief Lt-Gen Theeraphon Khupatanon

It make me feel very safe knowing that a general of police is now chasing lowley thieves for a photo opp, where are the priorities of these people i'd like to know..

"He admitted to removing the contents of the tourist's bag and dumping it laden with rocks in a canal." I think this is a misquote.  I believe it should read stones instead of rocks; because, he had to have some pretty big stones to think he could get away with that in an airport full of security cameras.  

19 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

Don't care who catches the thieves as long as they are caught and brought to justice. 

Thai justice amounts to very little, a fine, a wai and back out on the streets t repeat.

18 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Is this a special category of theft?

Apparently. Our expat group visited an English lady who shoplifted a €2000  purse from duty free at BKK. She was given a 5 year sentence, commuted to 2 years, to be served at Chonburi Women's Prison; having then served 1.5 years and followed by deportation. It appears that there is a special enhancement for theft from an airport and a business with "connections". After talking to her on visiting day(s), she relayed that story, in addition to telling how the police came onboard the aircraft before departure, arrested her, and the entire "designer purse" story. The moral? Don't get drunk before departure and take home a trinket not paid for.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Donaldo said:

Is it really relevant to state the nationality of the victim and alleged perpetrator ? The crime was committed and I don't see the relevance of stating nationalities.

Taking away the nationalities on TV and all you'd be left with would be the speculation.

Now there's an idea...

Rooster

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Taking away the nationalities on TV and all you'd be left with would be the speculation.

Now there's an idea...

Rooster

Hey yes, you could have a button that randomly selects a nationality, under the heading "I think for this story, this perp is..."

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Hey yes, you could have a button that randomly selects a nationality, under the heading "I think for this story, this perp is..."

Fantastic....kind of like interactive news. TV gives you the opportunity to make it up as you go along. 

Oh, hang on that already happens with all the people who never even read the stories before commenting!

Rooster

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2019 at 6:31 PM, Donaldo said:

Is it really relevant to state the nationality of the victim and alleged perpetrator ? The crime was committed and I don't see the relevance of stating nationalities.

They wanted to reassure the public that the stealing was fortunately committed by a Thai -

an occupation in which foreigners are often stealing (no pun intended) jobs from Thai's