Colonoscopy: procedure and costs

NanLaew

An American buddy of mine, 53 years old and twice-yearly visitor to LOS has been told by his US doctor that he needs to get a colonoscopy. He's seeing prices of around US$3000 to get that done in the US so he's asking about costs over here. A mutual friend reports getting a sedation colonoscopy done at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya recently for 18 k baht.

Any other advice, experiences and cost information would be very welcome. He's due to visit Bangkok and Pattaya again this Fall.

Thanks!

NL

All i know that they hurt you in two places, your bum and your wallet, however, $3,000 is a lot of money, you can do it here in some BKK good hospitals costing anywhere from 20+ k up to 40K just ring around and ask...

Just now, ezzra said:

All i know that they hurt you in two places, your bum and your wallet, however, $3,000 is a lot of money, you can do it here in some BKK good hospitals costing anywhere from 20+ k up to 40K just ring around and ask...

just 'ring around', I'm told that it's 2,000 in Nana Plaza. ????

Seriously, my last one cost 36,000 in Bangkok Bumradgrand Hospital, but that was a while ago and prices have gone up. . 

• Like 1

Your friend would need to prepare himself several days before. I've had plenty of these due to family history.

He would need to stop eating anything with seeds in it at least three days before the procedure. Whole grain breads, tomatoes etc. are no-no's. The day before, he has to do bowel preparation to flush himself out. A major advantage here will be he can use a bum gun instead of abrasive toilet paper.

The procedure itself is under sedation, usually propofol so he will have no memory of it.

$3000 US is expensive. In a private clinic in Australia, it would be $1500 AUD max. Should be even cheaper in Thailand.

I had one at Bumrungrad last year.  All in, it was around 30,000 baht.  Luckily I didn't need any polyps removed, otherwise it would have cost more.  Everything was handled very well, I was heavily sedated and I had no complaints, although the preparation the night before isn't much fun.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I had one at Bumrungrad last year.  All in, it was around 30,000 baht.  Luckily I didn't need any polyps removed, otherwise it would have cost more.  Everything was handled very well, I was heavily sedated and I had no complaints, although the preparation the night before isn't much fun.

It's a lot better than it used to be. Nowadays you have to choke down about 2-3 litres of fluid. My first one was 8 litres.

A couple times a year Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai runs "specials" on health check-ups and procedures like colonoscopies, mammograms, bone density checks, etc.  Usually the special promotions run for about six weeks, but you can purchase the special price coupon and have the procedure later.  This "fine print" is in Thai so you have to make inquiry about the timing restrictions.

Hubby and I keep track of their special promotions and take advantage of them for non-urgent medical needs.  A couple years ago I had a colonoscopy there for 17,000 baht as I recall.  It would have been more if polyp removal was needed.

Perhaps the OP can see his local Bangkok Hospital runs similar special price promotions.

You could find out where an appropriate Consultant's clinic is..go see him/her..then ask him/her to schedule you for a colonoscopy at the Consultants Thai Govt Hospital, and ask him/her to book you a VIP room for 2 nights.
Far cheaper and same result..a good clean out!!!???[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

฿16,000 at Vichaiyut (Bangkok) a little over a year ago.

US healthcare is mostly a big ripoff, but for a few things, there are “centers” popping up that specialize in one thing (MRI, colonoscopy) that cost far far less than going the traditional route.  UCLA wouldn’t quote me a price but said it would be in the Neighborhood of $7,000 (5 years ago).  Through these guys, you can get one for $1075 in many locations around the US.

https://www.cheapcolonoscopy.com/Cities/LosAngeles_CA_colonoscopy.html