Problem with KrungThai Debit Card

I recently moved provinces and my debit card was issued (3 months ago) in Chon Buri...  the bank account is fine I've used it recently to transfer funds(as recent as yesterday)  but the debit card says 'contact your bank' at the ATM in my new province.  I haven't contacted the bank yet and I can't see why its not working ( It does not say invalid pin and I know the pin was correct)   Do you think this might be some kind of security block due to being out of original province?

Then I decided as I was having problems with the Krungthai bank just transfer my funds to my Kasikorn bank which worked fine... only problem is I forgot the pin for my Kasikorn debit card and entered it wrong 3 times at one ATM then crossed the street and was able to try again 3-4 times at 2 other ATMs but only found the correct pin saved in my email inbox when I got home.  I don't know if my Kasikorn card is  blocked because it still allowed me to try more than 3 times......... I haven't tried again yet with the correct pin for nearly 24 hours ( I will try again later)

None of this is an emergency because I have several other fee free cards to use

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

richiejom Krung Thai are only protecting you from theft/ fraudsters, just contact them and give them your new address.

Good point, yes its good if its just a security block with the KrungThai one...I will contact them soon..I doubt it can be done by phone but the wife will enjoy the trip to the shopping mall

I hope I can retry my Kasikorn card as well because I found the pin for that one.

So much for having 2 banks for backup

Edited by richiejom
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Good point, yes its good if its just a security block with the KrungThai one...I will contact them soon..I doubt it can be done by phone but the wife will enjoy the trip to the shopping mall

I hope I can retry my Kasikorn card as well because I found the pin for that one.

So much for having 2 banks for backup

I would suspect you could visit any KTB branch and show ID to take care of matter,  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I would suspect you could visit any KTB branch and show ID to take care of matter,  

Hopefully yes, but in my experience he will have to deal with his original branch or a branch in the province where his cards were issued. Seven years ago Krung Thai made me go back to my original branch in Bangkok for some reason (I forget), while just recently Bangkok Bank has told me I have to go to a branch in Bangkok province to renew my ATM card (can't be done in Pattaya). The dinosaur age of banking.

*I forgot - Krungthai also wouldn't allow me to transfer my account from Bkk to Pattaya. And their internet service has a 30-day time limit - don't use it for 30 days and you're locked out. Clowns.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Hopefully yes, but in my experience he will have to deal with his original branch or a branch in the province where his cards were issued. Seven years ago Krung Thai made me go back to my original branch in Bangkok for some reason (I forget), while just recently Bangkok Bank has told me I have to go to a branch in Bangkok province to renew my ATM card (can't be done in Pattaya). The dinosaur age of banking.

*I forgot - Krungthai also wouldn't allow me to transfer my account from Bkk to Pattaya. And their internet service has a 30-day time limit - don't use it for 30 days and you're locked out. Clowns.

Hmmm I've never been locked out of my Krungthai and I left it sitting unused for a few months last year but came back to Thailand last October and used it every month since.    However the debit card has stopped working since I moved provinces last month

I left my Kasikorn unused for nearly a year and it picked up straight away after I transferred money to it...but I did notice they took the yearly renewal fee the moment I transferred.  Never had problems using my Kasikorn card in different province

Hope I dont need to go to Pattaya to renew the Krung Thai debit card I only got a replacement 2-3 months ago

Edited by richiejom

50 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Do you think this might be some kind of security block due to being out of original province?

This would be unique.

Of course you can use the ATMs nationwide.

18 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

I forgot - Krungthai also wouldn't allow me to transfer my account from Bkk to Pattaya.

True, but the same for other banks.

Account number is bound/specifies branch.

Close/reopen.

But some banks now have a relaxed policy that allows about all transactions (new bank book, new ATM card, free ATM withdrawal) nationwide. So no urge to "move".

18 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

And their internet service has a 30-day time limit - don't use it for 30 days and you're locked out.

Interesting point. Maybe I should check with Bangkok B, SCB and Kasikorn. Can't tell from experience as I can't sleep well if not having checked for more than two days :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

This would be unique.

Of course you can use the ATMs nationwide.

My Krungthai passbook works to deposit in my new province but it gets a 'inter-region' fee ฿20  ...

which is why I wondered about the debitcard

but my Kasikorn card has worked in new provinces so really dont know whats up with the Krungthai card

I will update this thread with the outcomes in case it helps others

Edited by richiejom

4 minutes ago, richiejom said:

My Krungthai passbook works to deposit in my new province but it gets a 'inter-region' fee ฿20  ...

which is why I wondered about the debitcard

but my Kasikorn card has worked in new provinces so really dont know whats up with the Krungthai card

Not sure if his card is new 6 digit PIN or old 4 - might be some ATM's are not programed yet?

• Like 1

I doubt that moving provinces is what's the issue here. I use my Thai debit cards in typically 3-4 provinces per month, each month when I'm in Thailand. I've also never heard of anyone else running into that kind of problem. Maybe they're phasing out the type of card you're using or there's another issue with your account.

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure if his card is new 6 digit PIN or old 4 - might be some ATM's are not programed yet?

good point, its the new 6 digit one, but I tried 2-3 machines(closeby) and it didn't work...  I'm in an urban area in a city but very few farrang here

Edited by richiejom

2 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I doubt that moving provinces is what's the issue here. I use my Thai debit cards in typically 3-4 provinces per month, each month when I'm in Thailand. I've also never heard of anyone else running into that kind of problem. Maybe they're phasing out the type of card you're using or there's another issue with your account.

its the new 6 digit pin card...maybe the machines are outdated like Lopburi said...I will find out whats wrong

The account is fine, still works for transfers, deposit by passbook...  but brand new 6 digit pin debit card not working

Edited by richiejom

38 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Hmmm I've never been locked out of my Krungthai and I left it sitting unused for a few months last year but came back to Thailand last October and used it every month since.    However the debit card has stopped working since I moved provinces last month

I left my Kasikorn unused for nearly a year and it picked up straight away after I transferred money to it...but I did notice they took the yearly renewal fee the moment I transferred.  Never had problems using my Kasikorn card in different province

Hope I dont need to go to Pattaya to renew the Krung Thai debit card I only got a replacement 2-3 months ago

Pleased to hear it. My experience was 2 years ago - I set up internet banking with Bkk Bank and Krungthai. Went back to my country and after 1 month my Krungthai acct would no longer work - I got a notice saying I hadn't used it for 30 days and to go to my branch to sort it out. I couldn't and so I lost track of the amount of money in it, and that proved fatal, causing me a tragic (for me, anyway) problem. Yes, my fault ultimately. Bkk Bank is fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

richiejom Krung Thai are only protecting you from theft/ fraudsters, just contact them and give them your new address.

Yes, telephone their call centre, they speak English, they are good listeners and this bank has gained a good reputation for being customer focused. 

• Like 1