Large amount of laughing gas seized in raids on 14 tourist spots in Bangkok

rooster59

Large amount of laughing gas seized in raids on 14 tourist spots in Bangkok

image_big_5d294bc213615.jpg

(Photo) Food and Drug Administration

Officials from Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and police from the Children’s and Women’s Welfare Division raided 14 tourist spots in Bangkok on Friday night and seized large quantities of nitrous oxide, commonly known as ‘laughing gas’.

FDA secretary-general Dr. Tharet Kratsanairaviwong said that nitrous oxide can be life-threatening if inhaled for a long period of time, noting that the gas is commonly used to sedate patients undergoing a minor operation or used as pain relief by dentists.

It was discovered that the gas was being sold illegally at several night entertainment areas frequented by tourists. Inhaling nitrous oxide produces rapid onset of euphoria and a feeling of floating or excitement for a short period of time. Continued inhalation may cause dizziness, vomiting and disorientation which may, in turn, result in severe injury or death.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/large-amount-of-laughing-gas-seized-in-raids-on-14-tourist-spots-in-bangkok/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-07-14

4 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

nah, i don't believe they care about people's safety. if they did they would ban alcohol and cigarettes too, surely?

must be some other reason.. :coffee1:

Along with driving !

Used to see them selling balloons of Nitrous Oxide on good ‘ole Khao San Road and a few other areas in Bangkok. A balloon’s worth is fairly harmless. Bit of a happy buzz. That’s all. Doesn’t last long. Experienced users will first take a few long deep breaths to get more oxygen in their blood, then exhale and breath as much of the balloon’s nitrous oxide in and hold it for a while, and then blow it back into the balloon. Then a few more deep breaths of regular air to oxygenate the blood again...and repeat until the nitrous oxide is used up and only CO2 in the balloon. Each breathe from the balloon and back into the balloon resulting in lower and lower amount of nitrous oxide in the balloon until it’s all used up. Don’t forget a few deep breaths of air in between, or you could pass out from lack of oxygen. 

No.... I’ve never done it. But know people who have. 

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Large amount of laughing gas seized in raids

Laughing gas can almost always be found Vietnam in the hotels and restaurants and bars frequented by backpackers but it doesn't seem to be in much demand. The Vietnamese authorities don't seem to frown on it nor vaping. 

I was at Khaosan last night and a bar I frequent weekly got nabbed.. Fine of 75k Bht and some others up to 90k Bht.. Why the different fines, nobody knows.. No one has balloons on display, only signs that they offer it. 50 Bht for small and 100 Bht for a large balloon.. Never bought one, but been selling them for years right under the police noses.. Sold directly next door to Chan police but first time any action taken. I heard police from another precinct conducted the raid.. 

Archived