Thai media report "Irishman" on 4,000 day overstay - GoFundMe started to help him

webfact

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, RobboR said:

Pretty sure they aren't put on parade like this for all and sundry to see. Then caged in sub human conditions for weeks 

Farangs should not call the police lazy then they would not have to prove they do work.

Maybe better they have a press agency that releases a press statement along with a mug shot... 

Or as the tendency is in the UK now for the local police forces to run a constant news feed via twitter.

As for conditions at the detention centres how bad are they?

The people I feel sorry for are those who do things properly, the right visa's and have to report every 3 months or yearly not knowing if they will get 7 days notice to leave the kingdom. 

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

please explain to me how how someone who appears to have little or no income can be beneficial to Thai society? yet you just trying to justify by running down the Thai's by claiming their system is corrupt, two wrongs do not make it right... 

and what if it were the other way round it was a Thai who had overstayed in the UK or Ireland?

there was a reason I'm sure why he didn't follow any laws in this country including having a valid passport, there might of been a warrant for his arrest back where he came from..

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why are so many berks out here abusing the spirit of the go fund me fund that suppose to help people in real need? why is it that every screw up and a moron thinks that the public is there to bail them out the very shit they, knowingly, put themselves in?...

whether you donate to a Go Fund Me is 'up to you'

He said that things had gone off the rails when both his parents died this year. He promised more details today.

OK, so that accounts for the past year. How about the previous ten years? I would contribute to a go fund me campaign to have him deported, and make sure he can never return. Thai family or not. The laws are in place, and as ex-pats we are expected to obey them. He is just making things more difficult for most of us, who do obey the laws, like them or not. He has stepped so far over the line, it is not even possible to rationalize on any level. Send him home or keep him locked up. 

5 hours ago, Basil B said:

It is not just the overstay, how has he financed himself? was he illegally working? paid his taxes?

Certainly must been a drain on society if he can not find £1,000 without resorting to "Go Fund Me"

Nether mind he can claim benefits when he gets back to Somerset and even more if he brings his kids back with him.

His family won't be allowed to enter UK as he doesn't have money to support them.

23 minutes ago, Thaifly88 said:

whether you donate to a Go Fund Me is 'up to you'

Let's not donate to the gofundme as this would be encouraging others.  Gofundme was not meant for this illegal overstay (there's always a choice).  From the wikipedia: "GoFundMe is an American for-profit crowdfunding platform that allows people to raise money for events ranging from life events such as celebrations and graduations to challenging circumstances like accidents and illnesses."  This would go against the terms of service and acting in good faith of the platform.  People need to be held accountable.

This thread has a bit of entertainment for all.

His citizenship is in doubt making a quandary for the Brits on the forum. They don't know whether to passionately defend one of their own, or tell bog Irish jokes. 

His length of overstay excites different emotions in different people. Some admire his exploit as giving it to the (Thai) man by beating the system for so long. (fellow overstayers?)  Others feel incarceration, deportation and looming long term separation from family is too lenient and he should be tortured.

Some others involve themselves in the intrigue of establishing if his passport is still valid, if he has one at all, or how and from whom he will get another.

How did he get caught after all these years? The mind boggles. Perhaps a dobber?

Then there is the mystery of how he has supported himself and his wife and brood. His monetary problems seem to have started with the recent death of his parents suggesting that how ever far some children roam from home, they never actually leave. Alternatively, perhaps the wife has supported him or he has worked illegally. Who knows - one poster apparently.

One thing for certain, by dodging all those Immigration fees for so long he still didn't manage to save enough to pay his exit penalties and needs others to give him money. A pattern?

Speaking of begging for money, a friend started a fundraiser for him, yet only managed to donate 10 quid of her money to kick it along. Intriguingly, 2 donors with Viet names kicked in 100 quid each. Somebody has now made a post on that site giving his real story, so funds may dry up.

Interestingly contact was made early on with TVF, perhaps he's a member here?

9 minutes ago, crickets said:

They need a week of amnesty where over stayes can hand themselves in with a promise of case by case leniency for ppl with children. 

Like the one they already did just a few years back? If people didn't take the chance back then, they only have themselves to blame. Thai authorities have been more than accommodating.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that things had gone off the rails when both his parents died this year. He promised more details today.

How does a nearly 4200 day overstay relate to the death of his parents "this year," presumably sometime in 2019, e.g., less than the past 200 days?

2 hours ago, RobboR said:

Comparing Thais overstaying in UK is like talking about apples and unicorns. 

Getting locked up in the UK is far Superior to Thailand nice warm cell hot showers and 3 meals a day

6 hours ago, Seismic said:

Strawman argument. But regardless, the man committed a criminal offence under Thai laws, and has been doing so for almost 12 years. His defence that "things went bad in the last year" does not excuse his flaunting of the law for the previous 11.

no, this does not fall under criminal offense,

just like traffic offenses doesnt, unless someone gets killed as a result

Archived