Pink ID card, very useful

gamini

3 hours ago, billsmart said:

I have a "pink" Thai ID card too, and have found it useful for certain things for which I used to have to show my passport, like checking in hotels, but I didn't know it would be that useful in a hospital.

Thanks for the info...

I gave up trying to get a yellow book/pink ID card after two years but now I know how helpful it could be in a hospital admission scenario I will try again. Thanks for info, much appreciated by me too. BillSmart; you may find you now need to go back to producing your passport when checking into hotels (even if the booking was not in your name). Check-in staff now examine and make photocopies of your extension stamp.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

you may find you now need to go back to producing your passport when checking into hotels (even if the booking was not in your name). Check-in staff now examine and make photocopies of your extension stamp.

This has been my experience too.  Wife cannot check in for us alone anymore it seems and a Thai dri. lic. = mai dai, passport only.

11 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Have used Rama Hospital. Didn't have any problem getting registered.

Actually, it has 2 different grades of service - one for Social Security, and another for paying patients.

Yes; everyone needs to wait. But, on the "premium" floors, the waits are bad, but not quite as bad.

The Social Security cattle yard can be downright scary.

do you mean Ramatibody hospital? There were no premium floors there, 

59 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

This has been my experience too.  Wife cannot check in for us alone anymore it seems and a Thai dri. lic. = mai dai, passport only.

always used Pink card for hotels. no problems

5 hours ago, billsmart said:

I have a "pink" Thai ID card too, and have found it useful for certain things for which I used to have to show my passport, like checking in hotels

Seems that you go to hotels that don't abide by the TM30 rule.

Yeah, pink card is good. I had cut my hand and it needed stitching. I went to the local public hospital, gave my card, got cleaned up in about a hour as I was bleeding everywhere and given a tetanus shot. I was given antibiotics and told to come back every day for cleaning. The pink card saved me a lot of time as they only had to punch in the number they told me. It cost 600 baht and then 50 baht a day to get it cleaned.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

In my experience the pink card is not issued automatically with the yellow TB, you have to request it.

Once you have the yellow TB the pink card takes just minutes to get and is usually free. You need only the yellow TB and your passport.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hello,  I hope someone can answer a few questions. I am 65 and have stayed full-time in Thailand for many years, on a retirement visa .   IF I can get this yellow book and the pink ID card, can I use the Thai hospitals?  I understand that I would Not be covered under the 30 baht scheme.  Did I need to be married to my Thai lady ??  Would the condo I own be acceptable for the yellow book(I got a blue book for my condo years ago).  As private insurance is expensive at my age,  could I just use the Thai hospitals ??  I do have extra money available for medical use if necessary.  Does anyone know where the amphur is located in Pattaya ?  Thanks in advance for any info. 

Recently I left my job and wanted to continue paying into the Social Security program (SSO) to keep the heath cover, I was told over the phone (small local office in Nakornpratom) that this was not possible as I’m a foreigner, but I remembered reading here that it was. As I was in Bangkok the other week, I went to a larger office but told the same story. After my wife explained to a higher member of staff that I have an ID number and house book, the tone changed and got it sorted out in the end. 100% without the pink ID card and yellow book it would have not been possible.

52 minutes ago, how241 said:

Hello,  I hope someone can answer a few questions. I am 65 and have stayed full-time in Thailand for many years, on a retirement visa .   IF I can get this yellow book and the pink ID card, can I use the Thai hospitals?  I understand that I would Not be covered under the 30 baht scheme.  Did I need to be married to my Thai lady ??  Would the condo I own be acceptable for the yellow book(I got a blue book for my condo years ago).  As private insurance is expensive at my age,  could I just use the Thai hospitals ??  I do have extra money available for medical use if necessary.  Does anyone know where the amphur is located in Pattaya ?  Thanks in advance for any info. 

The 30baht gold and SSO cover are 2 different things. If you have worked in thailand you would have paid into SSO, I think youre allowed a gap of 6 months if you change employers. The 30baht plan is only available to citizens.

1 minute ago, SkyNets said:

The 30baht gold and SSO cover are 2 different things. If you have worked in thailand you would have paid into SSO, I think youre allowed a gap of 6 months if you change employers. The 30baht plan is only available to citizens.

I have never worked in Thailand.  I have been on a retirement visa. 

3 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

Aww I see, does your blue book have your name in Thai?

Is that all that is needed to check into a government hospital for treatment is your name in Thai and someone to translate for you?  I don't have a pink card but I have a marriage license where I can show my name in Thai.  Would that work?

6 minutes ago, how241 said:

Yes,  they put your name in Thai on the front top page.

Yeah you can apply for the pink card then, no need for the yellow book.

Just now, MeePeeMai said:

Is that all that is needed to check into a government hospital for treatment is your name in Thai and someone to translate for you?  I don't have a pink card but I have a marriage license where I can show my name in Thai.  Would that work?

Hmm not sure, the pink card 13 digit code is the same as page 2 in the yellow book

10 hours ago, gamini said:

do you mean Ramatibody hospital? There were no premium floors there, 

I meant Ramathibodi Hospital. "Rama" is what everyone, Thai, I know call the place. They refer to the upper floors as "premium", possibly because you don't need to join the herd before getting into a specific queue.

All said, although I had no problem using the facility for a consultation with a specific doctor, from my limited experience, I would really be conflicted if I was requiring any major surgical procedure.

I'm all for saving money. But, ...

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Your BKK bank account, if opened with a passport will have an english script account name, a Pink ID has your name in Thai script. so not a valid ID. The same if you open an account with a pink ID the account name will be in Thai and a passport will not be valid.

If your name is Sean Connery, your name in Thai script wont remotely resemble your engish name, it will probably be the thai characters that sound out Shawn.

But if your bank branch has a branch manager with actual common sense ( as mine does ) they will accept both. My TMB account was opened using my passport as ID. When I obtained my bank guarantee letter earlier this year for my extension of stay my manager saw both my ID card & passport on the employees desk. He instructed the employee to copy the id card and input the ID # into the banks records, so now they will accept either.

17 hours ago, how241 said:

Anyone can use government hospitals on a self pay basis.

You do not have to have anything other than your passport as ID.

16 hours ago, SkyNets said:

Yeah you can apply for the pink card then, no need for the yellow book.

Thanks for all the info.  If I can get this pink ID card with only showing my condo blue book,  with my name in Thai,  then what is the advantage of getting this Yellow house book  ???

On 7/17/2019 at 1:55 PM, connda said:

The one place I've found that it is not useful is Bangkok Bank.  I tried to use it for ID and they would not accept it.  Go figure.  ????

I have no trouble at my Bangkok Bank with the pink ID card, you may find though that they have your passport number recorded for ID purposes and therefore you have to change it over to the ID card number.

44 minutes ago, how241 said:

Thanks for all the info.  If I can get this pink ID card with only showing my condo blue book,  with my name in Thai,  then what is the advantage of getting this Yellow house book  ???

The yellow books are for people who can not get their name in a blue book. Such as a house in your wifes name, she would have the blue one and you would have the yellow. Condos can be owned by a foreigner, but land/house can only belong to a citizen. 

Edit- If you have a kid with a Thai citizen, you can be added to the blue book of a house.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:16 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Pink card?

How does one obtain such a valuable document?

I have one. Maybe get legally married . ( Not a sham bar girl marriage) Thai Immigration is looking for them. Bad idea! Don,t even think about it.

38 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I have no trouble at my Bangkok Bank with the pink ID card, you may find though that they have your passport number recorded for ID purposes and therefore you have to change it over to the ID card number.

Same opened numerous accounts with my ID card alone.

On 7/17/2019 at 1:08 AM, crazykopite said:

The pink card is normally issued with the yellow book maybe that was not the case when you were given you yellow book so I suggest that you take your yellow book with you along with a couple of hundred baht as the card is not free I assume the cost cover the making up of the card you don’t even need a photo and depending on your age you may never have to renew it I think this is if your over 60 

As a follow up and to possibly help others to avoid my mistakes, this is what happened this morning:

Translation problems:

Last week I went to U.S. Embassy 

to get my U.S. Passport Certified / Notarized and a Sworn Statement notarized testifying that I was married in the U.S. $100

Took both to a Translation Service to translate and they took it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be Certified-1 week - B2300 

Today 2019-07-18

Take  the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Certified Documents

to Amphur to Certify Marriage.

The Amphur Officer is almost finished completing the necessary documentation when she noticed that my ‘Surname’ is spelled incorrectly from the spelling on my passport. She then says my Surname on the Land Department Document and Yellow Tabien Baan House Registration Book are also spelled incorrectly.

They put a ‘T’ instead of a ‘G’ on the last letter of my Surname. The Yellow Tabien Baan House Registration Book was acquired in 2010 for my condo purchased in 2003.

So I returned to the Translation Service to have both documents re-translated and Re-Certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: B1700. Will be ready next week.

Then next week it will be back to the Amphur office to correct the 

Yellow Tabien Baan House Registration Book and after that, the Marriage Certification and then go to the Land Department-to correct the spelling of my Surname.

The Amphur Officer got very loud and angry while conversing with my wife, I didn’t understand why because we were both polite, but my wife said she was angry at the translation service and admonished my wife for allowing them to use the wrong spelling other than what was on my passport.

Also would like to wish the OP well in his recovery.

I guess the moral of the story is to double or triple check the spelling of your name with a reputable source when it is on a Thai document in Thai.

Archived