Big C and an unnerving insurance company phone call.

I returned from the weekly shop today to be informed by my other half that a life insurance company had just called who were running a promotion jointly with Big C and offering an unbelievable deal to my partner because she is still 40 years old, and to be quick before she turns 41 in September........ Their words! We all know there are age bands in the insurance industry, so they were offering nothing special.

I asked where they had got our information from and apparently it was shared by Big C, the information shared was the fact that my KTC card was used frequently at Big C, but the Big C card points were allocated to my partners name, so they called her, as we were marked as very good customers!! ( they obviously looked or were told of the recorded monthly spend, which I actually would consider just average!).

They keep a record of phone numbers when you are a member at Big C, as many here will know. I am still not happy that they have shared this information, if indeed they have.

I asked it to be posted so we can view it all in writing. They were offering 1.5 THB million on her death, private health insurance for accident medical treatment, ( I think that is what they meant) and 2,000 baht per day in cash per stay in hospital. The monthly fee was 589 baht per month. I said it sounded OK, but we needed to see the documents, either by post or even email.

After a number of phone calls back and forth, they asked me for my credit card details, saying they wouldn't take any money until we approved the policy. I declined telling them I had no idea who they were and I was not giving my credit card details over the phone, in Thailand, to anybody. They then asked my partner for her credit card details and she informed them I had again refused to give them.

I was told with all the fraud around, by my bank in the UK and by KTC in Thailand, never to give my credit card details out over a phone and also the bank would never ask for them.

Anybody else recently had this experience or similar please?

Maybe it's just me being over cautious but I am not happy giving bank details over a phone line, in these circumstances, to a person I do not know and have never heard of, no matter how pleasant they sounded.

Very worrying , especially as some of the big stores have been asking for passport details too. It happened to me in Tops and I was going to leave my stuff there unpaid for (all 150 Bts worth of it!!). Only then did she check it through with no passport details !

• Like 1

Faultily enough, they haven't com back to us by email as they said they would yesterday!

You are right, it is worrying and very much a cause for concern especially with the speed fraud can occur.