Sterling hits lowest level

Sterling hits lowest level since April 2017 as disorderly Brexit fears grow

PUBLISHED TUE, JUL 16 2019  7:11 AM EDT

KEY POINTS
  • Sterling has extended losses as fears grow that the next U.K. prime minister will accept a no-deal Brexit.
  • Versus the dollar it dipped to $1.2418 on Tuesday, its lowest level since Apr 11, 2017.
  • The pound also weakened to a six-month low versus the euro.
HO: Jeremy Hunt And Boris Johnson
Contenders to be the U.K.’s next leader, Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt (R), take part in the debate “Head To Head” on ITV on July 9, 2019 in Salford, England.
Handout | Getty Images News | Getty Images

The bank’s forecast for sterling-dollar over three months has been lowered to $1.29 and 0.87 pence versus the euro.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/16/sterling-at-2-year-low-versus-dollar-on-disorderly-brexit-fears.html

Boris is a complete player. Will say anything to get what he wants. He wants the power but he's not foolish enough to risk being the PM that drove the UK into a meltdown. A complete <deleted> yes but not a fool. Beware brexiteers

5 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

Boris is a complete player. Will say anything to get what he wants. He wants the power but he's not foolish enough to risk being the PM that drove the UK into a meltdown. A complete wa n ker yes but not a fool. Beware brexiteers

Best of a bad bunch really. If only the <deleted> had walked the day after the referendum it would now be all behind us. Sadly not, but I'm still all for a Hard Brexit. Walk and pay the EU nowt.

It's all about the uncertainty.  The longer those remainer MPs drag out Brexit, the worse it will get for the pound. The latest antics in the HoC where they've effectively stopped us from leaving on 31st Oct have worsened the situation further. 

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

. Sadly not, but I'm still all for a Hard Brexit. Walk and pay the EU nowt.

Dear oh dear still this old chestnut comes up. We owe 81% of the £39 Billion divorce bill in contracted subs to the EU.

We will paying that deal or no deal

18 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

There's more important things than money- getting our country back from the EU bureaucrats being one.

Get yourself down to the food banks and tell their users that. Jobs? Have a tin of ravioli instead.

'Our' country? Not mine, fella.

56 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I've still got the proceeds of a house sale in the UK waiting to transfer to Thailand, at this rate I'm going to be lucky to get enough money for a few nights in a Khao San Road fleapit.

You must be from stoke

Archived