Forced to leave every 90 days with Non OA?

I am planning to apply for a Non Imm O-A visa, and understand from the forum that I will get a 1 year permit of stay every time I enter Thailand, provided that a have re-entry permit. Correct? 

But do I have to leave Thailand every 90 days to keep the visa alive or is it sufficient if I report to the local immigration office every 90 days as you would do with a retirement extension?

I believe, the O-A visa does not require the person to leave the country every 90 days. As you said, it starts out as a one year rolling permission to stay. And thus includes the 90-day reporting requirement.

It's the regular O visas that typically require folks to leave the country every 90 days. And thus typically would not include any 90 day reporting requirement.

As for re-entry permit, that allows you to effectively get a 2nd year of permission to stay out of your original one year O-A visa...

Example being, you arrive and stay until just before the expiration date of your visa. Then, before it expires, you leave Thailand and return to Thailand. And as long as the visa is still valid upon your return, you'll get another one year permission to stay. It's during that latter period after the visa itself has expired that the re-entry permit keeps alive your final one year permission to stay.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisinhuahin said:

I am planning to apply for a Non Imm O-A visa, and understand from the forum that I will get a 1 year permit of stay every time I enter Thailand, provided that a have re-entry permit. Correct?

No. Every time you enter using the Non O-A visa you receive a 1 year stay. You don't need a Re-entry Permit.

Once the visa has expired you would need a Re-entry Permit IF you want to

leave and return to the country and protect the remainder of your last 1 year stay permit 

10 minutes ago, chrisinhuahin said:

But do I have to leave Thailand every 90 days to keep the visa alive or is it sufficient if I report to the local immigration office every 90 days as you would do with a retirement extension?

No you don't have to leave. IF you stay longer than 90 days you must report your address ('90 day report'), every 90 days.

15 hours ago, chrisinhuahin said:

A Non-Imm OA Visa obtained in your home/ resident country is a Multiple Entry Visa valid for a year. What you write is not accurate here. During it's validity you can enter Thailand as many times as you like and each time will receive a permit to stay of one year. No re-entry permit required (you have a multiple entry visa). To get the most out of the visa you can re-enter Thailand just before it expires and receive a one year permit to stay. 

Beyond this, to maintain that last Permission of Stay, you will need re-entry permit(s) if you wish to leave and return. The visa will have expired at this time. 

• Like 2

Just to clarify the 90 day reporting requirement - You report if you remain inside Thailand for a continuous 90 days. If you leave before staying 90 days then the 90 day clock resets upon your return. You then report 89 days after the day of your return. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A Non-Imm OA Visa obtained in your home/ resident country is a Multiple Entry Visa valid for a year. What you write is not accurate here. During it's validity you can enter Thailand as many times as you like and each time will receive a permit to stay of one year. No re-entry permit required (you have a multiple entry visa). To get the most out of the visa you can re-enter Thailand just before it expires and receive a one year permit to stay. 

Beyond this, to maintain that last Permission of Stay, you will need re-entry permit(s) if you wish to leave and return. The visa will have expired at this time. 

Reading another post they quoted that you don’t need to leave after 90 Days, just do a 90 Day Report, is this so ?

if you re enter just before it expires do you have to apply some where to get the extra year or do you assume you have another year ?

I have a non o. Its a multi entry 1 year visa based on marriage. Every 90days you have to leave the country and re enter for a further 90days. Solong as you do your last visa run if thats your choice just do your last just within the 1yr timeframe and you will get basically a 1yr+90days.

I have never gone thebimmigration reporting route. Seems annoying so always do runs. Easy and cheap. I live close to the Myanmar border though.

1 minute ago, unamazedloso said:

I have a non o. Its a multi entry 1 year visa based on marriage. Every 90days you have to leave the country and re enter for a further 90days. Solong as you do your last visa run if thats your choice just do your last just within the 1yr timeframe and you will get basically a 1yr+90days.

I have never gone thebimmigration reporting route. Seems annoying so always do runs. Easy and cheap. I live close to the Myanmar border though.

Thanks for the info.

4 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Reading another post they quoted that you don’t need to leave after 90 Days, just do a 90 Day Report, is this so ?

if you re enter just before it expires do you have to apply some where to get the extra year or do you assume you have another year ?

If u re enter just before it expires you get a further 90 days. There is no specific number of times you can or cant leave within that year. 

After your last entry you will need to go back to your home country to get a new multi no o-a visa.

Thats my understanding and what i do.

You can get the multi from other countries consulates but i have never bothered as this seems troublsome.

34 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

There is an O visa and an O-A visa. I don't know about the O visa but I did have an O-A visa.

With and O-A visa you can leave and enter multiple times during that first year. Each time you return to Thailand you get an inked stamp in your passport giving you permission to stay for 1 year. As someone else posted, if you re-enter Thailand toward the end of that first year you will get an inked stamp with permission to stay for 1 year. This effectively gives you 2 years of stay on an O-A visa.

You do a 90-day report to Immigration if you stay inside Thailand for a continuous 90 days. If you leave and re-enter Thailand before 90 days then you reset the 90 day clock and are then due to report 89 days after you just entered.

There is some visa situation that requires that you actually leave every 90 days but I don't know what it is. It is not an O-A visa

38 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

No need to leave the country every 90 days if you have a OA long stay visa. You just do reports to immigration if you stay longer than 90 days.

If you enter the country using the OA visa you will get a admitted until date on your entry stamp that will be one year from the date you enter the country.

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No need to leave the country every 90 days if you have a OA long stay visa. You just do reports to immigration if you stay longer than 90 days.

If you enter the country using the OA visa you will get a admitted until date on your entry stamp that will be one year from the date you enter the country.

So if I re enter a few days before the O-A expires would the Visa be extended for another year and would the stamp show that date in a years time ?

12 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

So if I re enter a few days before the O-A expires would the Visa be extended for another year and would the stamp show that date in a years time ?

Yes. My O-A was issued in February 2017. I made a trip to Cambodia in November 2017. Not knowing much about O-A visas I went to Bangkok Immigration to apply for a 1 year extension in February 2018. They looked at my passport and told me to come back in November which I did. I am now on a 1 year extension and will apply for another this November.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

A visa cannot be extended. You would get a new one year permit to stay shown on the entry stamp.

If you want to travel after it expires you would need a re-entry permit to keep that permit to stay valid.

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Correct, you will have a Permission to stay stamp allowing you to stay up to the date stamped, one year after your entry on the valid OA Visa. 90 day reporting required. 

When you enter at say an airport, you will be given a one year permission to stay stamp from that date. It will say 'Admitted Until'

2 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

I have just recieved an 1 year NON O marriage multi, do I have to leave every 90 days, i thought i had to visit immigration every 90 days, do you know when i can start to apply for the extension which allows me to stay, i was told i have to wait until the last 45-30 days of the visa which will be July 2020??

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

I have just recieved an 1 year NON O marriage multi, do I have to leave every 90 days, i thought i had to visit immigration every 90 days, do you know when i can start to apply for the extension which allows me to stay, i was told i have to wait until the last 45-30 days of the visa which will be July 2020??

You have to leave every 90 days.

Or you can get a 60 days extension at Immigration if you have a Thai spouse or kid.

You can apply for a 12 month extension during the final 30 days (45 at some offices) of any permision to stay.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fishtank said:

You have to leave every 90 days.

Or you can get a 60 days extension at Immigration if you have a Thai spouse or kid.

You can apply for a 12 month extension during the final 30 days (45 at some offices) of any permision to stay.

do you mean i can apply fo extension of stay during the 1st 90 day section, ( Sept this year), i thought i had to wait until end of visa July 2020

Just now, bolt said:

do you mean i can apply fo extension of stay during the 1st 90 day section, ( Sept this year), i thought i had to wait until end of visa July 2020

You can apply during any 90 day permision of stay.

September if you wish.

26 minutes ago, chrisinhuahin said:

I believe that the reason for the confusion - mine as well as others - is that the difference between a 'non O' and a 'non O A' is not fully understood. Ubonjoe, please?

A multi entry Non Imm O Visa. NO LONGER AVAILABLE FROM THE UK, FRANCE or CHINA. Valid 1 year. Can be issued to those married to a Thai, or have Thai family. This Visa allows unlimited 90 day entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’. You cannot make 90 day reports at Immigration, you must leave and re-enter Thailand to obtain another 90 days permission to stay. You can extend each 90 day permission to stay one time by 60 days (at Immigration, 1,900 baht) for the purpose of visiting a Thai wife or child and the relationship is de jure and defacto.

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 17 months with this Visa type with only 3 border crossings.

A multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay). Valid 1 year. Can be issued to those who are over 50 who intend to remain in Thailand for long periods. This Visa allows unlimited 1 year entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’.

If you leave and re-enter just before the ‘enter before’ date of this Visa type you are granted another 1 year permission to stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand during this 2nd year permission to stay period.

This is because when the Visa expires on the ‘enter before’ date, so does the ME facility which is only valid for the duration of the Visas validity (1 year)

You can submit 90 day reports at an Immigration Bureau.

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 24 months with this Visa type.

The requirements for obtaining the above Visas differ from Country to Country and Embassies to Consulates, so check you meet the requirements before making an application. The O-A type Visa for example will only be issued to those holding citizenship or residency status in the Country where they apply.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

A multi entry Non Imm O Visa. NO LONGER AVAILABLE FROM THE UK, FRANCE or CHINA. Valid 1 year. Can be issued to those married to a Thai, or have Thai family. This Visa allows unlimited 90 day entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’. You cannot make 90 day reports at Immigration, you must leave and re-enter Thailand to obtain another 90 days permission to stay. You can extend each 90 day permission to stay one time by 60 days (at Immigration, 1,900 baht) for the purpose of visiting a Thai wife or child and the relationship is de jure and defacto.

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 17 months with this Visa type with only 3 border crossings.

A multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay). Valid 1 year. Can be issued to those who are over 50 who intend to remain in Thailand for long periods. This Visa allows unlimited 1 year entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is ‘used’.

If you leave and re-enter just before the ‘enter before’ date of this Visa type you are granted another 1 year permission to stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand during this 2nd year permission to stay period.

This is because when the Visa expires on the ‘enter before’ date, so does the ME facility which is only valid for the duration of the Visas validity (1 year)

You can submit 90 day reports at an Immigration Bureau.

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 24 months with this Visa type.

The requirements for obtaining the above Visas differ from Country to Country and Embassies to Consulates, so check you meet the requirements before making an application. The O-A type Visa for example will only be issued to those holding citizenship or residency status in the Country where they apply.

Other notable differences - a non O is available to people under 50 years of age and you can work if you have a work permit. On a non O-A you are prohibited from working inside Thailand.

2 hours ago, Martyp said:

Other notable differences - a non O is available to people under 50 years of age and you can work if you have a work permit. On a non O-A you are prohibited from working inside Thailand.

Well, you cannot always work on a Non O (one category being phased out is being a retiree) and you can only get a Non O under certain circumstances (the most common now being having a close Thai family member such as a spouse or child).

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 3:37 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe, the O-A visa does not require the person to leave the country every 90 days. As you said, it starts out as a one year rolling permission to stay. And thus includes the 90-day reporting requirement.

It's the regular O visas that typically require folks to leave the country every 90 days. And thus typically would not include any 90 day reporting requirement.

As for re-entry permit, that allows you to effectively get a 2nd year of permission to stay out of your original one year O-A visa...

Example being, you arrive and stay until just before the expiration date of your visa. Then, before it expires, you leave Thailand and return to Thailand. And as long as the visa is still valid upon your return, you'll get another one year permission to stay. It's during that latter period after the visa itself has expired that the re-entry permit keeps alive your final one year permission to stay.

Good post ,  where would the extra one year permission to stay , be granted.

On arrival at airport immigration , or at my local immigration office.  Thank you.

5 minutes ago, elliss said:

On arrival at airport immigration , or at my local immigration office.  Thank you.

It gets stamped into your passport at customs in the airport. Check to make sure they have done this correctly. Enter your passport number on your arrival card. Open your passport to your visa page

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, elliss said:

For an O-A visa holder with a still valid visa, it would be granted by Immigration at the person's entry point when they arrive to Thailand for their last entry on the still valid visa... Each entry while the visa is still valid results in a further one year permission to stay. But once the visa itself expires, a reentry permit is required to keep alive that added final one year stay permission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, elliss said:

The validity of a Visa and the validity of stay are different.

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

The period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. 

With a Non O-A Visa if you entered on the 'enter before' date displayed on the Visa, which is the last day of the validity of the Visa, you'll still received an admitted until stamp of 1 year in the future.

• Thanks 1