Introduce cat in dog household?

We have a dog we rescued. Look left.
He’s settled in for quite some time now, but he used to be known to snap and even bite, and still growls a bit. But he’s got used to people around and is happy enough here and has a big garden two rai. He's very happy when we or the builders arrive now and the missus and I can cuddle him a bit as we're not scared of a little growl
Where we lived previously there were cats belonging to other residents and he seems to get along quite well with them. Both there and here are chickens. He doesn’t chase them and as far as I know has never killed one.
Thing is right now I’m considering getting a cat or two. Is this a good idea after the dogs been here perhaps two years? How would one go about introducing the kittens or cats?  maybe he’d enjoyHaving a friend.
ps
I’ve recently bought a very high-quality sofa secondhand had a great price, but I would prefer it doesn’t get clawed to bits. If one hangs up especially attractive clawing items Is it possible A cat might stick exclusively to that?
All tips welcome

We have 6 rescue cats, 2 at our house and 4 at our resort business and they get along fine with our 2 golden retrievers. The cats which were kittens when rescued quickly got on well with the dogs but older cats took a while to get used to them. Our dogs are under control so they understand when we told them not to bother a new cat, don't force any of the animals onto the others as my wife got bitten by 1 cat when she wouldn't let go of it when 1 of the dogs got inquisitive (she then required a course of anti rabies injections). All the animals are vaccinated. Our youngest cat living at our house relies on the dogs for protection as she was attacked by a tom cat when she was a kitten and all the cats will curl up and sleep with the dogs especially the youngest. If you have any doubts about the dog don't have any cats.

Our youngest cat will scratch the settee and chairs even though there is a scratching post and toys plus assorted trees in the garden. You just have to accept that cats think they are in charge.

Cat&Dog.jpg

Archived