Float switch wiring

tdm

Hi,

currently our well pump for the house water supply is fed directly with 2.5mm cable with a plug on the end and plugged into an earthed 3 pin socket with on off switch (wired directly from the safetcut box) I'd like to instal a float switch valve like this one https://www.microlectra.com/p-fanal-jk-m15-2-float-switch-3345 and have a question about the wiring. I believe I need to buy a contactor switch, something like this https://www.monotaro.sg/p/08583312/

but rather than feed this directly from the socket I'd also like to instal a switch that gives me the final option of either leaving the float switch running fully automatically, secondly have the ability to manually switch on the water pump if need be, and finally manually switch the pump off. I guess some kind of 3 way switch or knob type switch between the socket and the contactor switch would be required, does this sound feasible and do you have any recommendations as to type of contactor switch to use as well as which type of 3 way switch and containing box the kit would fit inside,

many thanks for any replies.

tdm

How big is your pump? Up to a horse or so can be switched directly by the float.

For your switching options probably the best way would be two regular switches, one to just bypass the float and another to kill all the power to the pump.

Let us know how big the pump is and we can come up with some suggestion as to the bits you need.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

How big is your pump? Up to a horse or so can be switched directly by the float.

For your switching options probably the best way would be two regular switches, one to just bypass the float and another to kill all the power to the pump.

Let us know how big the pump is and we can come up with some suggestion as to the bits you need.

According to the specs it should be OK up to at least 2 horsepower as it is rated at 10A at 250VAC

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

According to the specs it should be OK up to at least 2 horsepower as it is rated at 10A at 250VAC

You trust the specs? Seriously, we had one like that which was driving our 2 horse river pump. It lasted about 6 months.

With a motor load I wouldn't go over about 50% rated load.

Thanks for all the replies, Crossy the pump is 1hp, the well is about 7metres from the water tank tower which is about 2 metres high, on average the pump sits between 5 to 8 metres below ground. What bits to buy is exactly what I need to know, many thanks.

On 8/2/2019 at 8:22 AM, tdm said:

Any further feedback on this guys, basically looking to find out exactly what parts to buy and best place to purchase, many thanks,

tdm

you can buy pump controller off the shelf or on lazada, loads at global house and similar places. they are sold in the same isle as the electrical enclosures, they normally come with Volt and Amp analogue meters on the front. with stop start auto. well worth checking out

Shaemus

Archived