Ceiling insullation install project

ElephantEgo

If it's a "normal" ceiling and you just want to lay down batts, it is mostly a matter of finding a couple of small people willing to do it.  A couple of 70cm boards to span the rails would help.  There's some good photos in one of these threads showing how they just get laid between the hangers.  It's relatively straight forward.

43 minutes ago, JakeR said:

I am planning to install insulation for my ceiling and was wondering how to find help or guidance for this? The ceiling and electric is already installed...

I paid local workers to climb up there and install the rolls that I purchased for the job. Its a pain in the ass if done as a retrofit but can still be done. 

Basically dont worry about the electronics and just lay it down between the ceiling supports in such a way there there is no gaps. Its not scientific at this point, you just want coverage. 

Just ask around at the places that sell the insulation if they have installers available, and dont be picky about the end result as long and the coverage is good. 

18 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

A couple of 70cm boards to span the rails would help. 

This. 

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

If it's a "normal" ceiling and you just want to lay down batts, it is mostly a matter of finding a couple of small people willing to do it.  A couple of 70cm boards to span the rails would help.  There's some good photos in one of these threads showing how they just get laid between the hangers.  It's relatively straight forward.

If you see anything like this in the bars, you could be on your way to finding those small people

IMG_20190724_104002.JPG.6ed9ed3ce1f41c9f6f38190111074424.JPG

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thainesss said:

Basically dont worry about the electronics and just lay it down between the ceiling supports in such a way there there is no gaps. Its not scientific at this point, you just want coverage. 

Not in a modern house, we all have hung aluminium frame ceilings, supported by tensioned wires from the roof.

No way you're gonna crawl on that.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not in a modern house, we all have hung aluminium frame ceilings, supported by tensioned wires from the roof.

No way you're gonna crawl on that.

For the billionth time you do not have to crawl on the actual ceiling to install insulation. It takes some nimble, small men to climb up there and move it around. 

3 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

For the billionth time you do not have to crawl on the actual ceiling to install insulation. It takes some nimble, small men to climb up there and move it around. 

and when one of these locals slips a falls through, who's gonna pay?

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

and when one of these locals slips a falls through, who's gonna pay?

No-one because if thats your concern then you wont do it. 

But you can, and its easy, to insulate your ceiling. You just have to ask around and get a quote. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

If you ask a 'chang' to run a new wire or circuit in your roof, do you preface it with who's gonna pay for any damages? 

No need, I run my own wires, aerials, network cables, I can do that balancing on a wall and using a coat hanger.

Edited by BritManToo

On 7/24/2019 at 8:32 AM, JakeR said:

am planning to install insulation for my ceiling and was wondering how to find help or guidance for this? The ceiling and electric is already installed...

What type of ceiling  support  system do you have?

is the roof above it or another floor?

what type of insulation do you want to install?

the cabling will be affected by insulation. as it will impede heat loss from the cable. in an ideal world the cabling would be on top of the insulation.  i am an electrician  and have had quite a bit to do with roof spaces etc. i am not saying you will cannot do it but there are many incidences of roof fires because of this. also there are millions of houses which have install insualtion post cabling with no problems.  

I would assume that you want to use rockwool or similar insulation. have a look on youtube to see the various methods.

Shaemus

@shaemus thanks for your reply. To answer your questions:

The ceiling support is by steel columns and metal cables hanging from the those and horizontal metal supports.

is the roof above it or another floor? The roof is above it.

I think the typical stuff they sell in Thailand that is made by SCG?

Most of our cabling is in yellow PVC pipes but of course I guess there is some leading from those to the actual light fixtures... I suppose if I hire someone who knows what they are doing with experience (such as reffered by homepro) it should all be pretty safe?

I wonder how those fires start in attics? which material is flammable?

On 8/3/2019 at 7:05 AM, JakeR said:

aemus thanks for your reply. To answer your questions:

The ceiling support is by steel columns and metal cables hanging from the those and horizontal metal supports.

is the roof above it or another floor? The roof is above it.

I think the typical stuff they sell in Thailand that is made by SCG?

Most of our cabling is in yellow PVC pipes but of course I guess there is some leading from those to the actual light fixtures... I suppose if I hire someone who knows what they are doing with experience (such as reffered by homepro) it should all be pretty safe?

I wonder how those fires start in attics? which material is flammable?

the roof space will need to be accessed some how and the materials loaded into the space.

i am assuming that you have a pitched roof, the structure of is is made from metal configured in a A shape. the cieling is hung from the horizontal part of the A.

Its good that your cables are in conduit.

the installers or you are going to have to work above the cieling and pusha nd pull the rolls out. you can use a piece of plastic pipe in the centre of the roll to help with pulling. get them straight and the over lap correct if foil backed. 

Shameus