Tourist Visa in HCM

Hi! Can someone help me with my situation.

I live in Ayutthaya and I'm currently holding a Non-B visa, however, my employer failed to process my work permit on time. Now, they asked me to check if I can extend my Non-b visa, is it possible?

If I can't, the second option is for me to go back to Tourist Visa, and I'm thinking about getting it in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. I'm planning to go there by plane to save time, but return here by land travel all the way to Cambodia-Thailand border in Koh Kong.
Question is, how sure is it that I can get a tourist visa in HCM? Given that I have lived in Thailand since April last year.

Also, if I do get a tourist visa from HCM, will there be any problem entering Thailand through the border?

Thank you.

Edited by Panpan

As long as you have the possibility to show cash if asked and have all other documents that might be asked for it sounds like a good idea.

I have not heard of any possibility to extend a business visa without providing a work permit, but that I will rest in the hands of other posters.

37 minutes ago, Panpan said:

extend my Non-b visa, is it possible?

I would think you need a WP to extent a non b. But if you go back to Tourist visa, you are legally not allowed to work. And when the WP has been processed you need to switch to NON-B again? Can a WP be issued if you are on a Tourist visa?

There is no extension you can get without a work permit and supporting documents from your employer.

If you employer could get the application for the work permit done to get a work permit application approval letter from the DOE you could apply for a new non-b visa at a embassy or consulate.

If you go out for a tourist visa you might be able to do a change of visa status application to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category B) entry at immigration.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you employer could get the application for the work permit done to get a work permit application approval letter from the DOE you could apply for a new non-b visa at a embassy or consulate.

I'm afraid this won't do as my Non-B will expire this 29th of July and she just told me yesterday that I can't apply for work permit yet since the immigration asked them for more documents and they can't finish it by the time my Non-b expires

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you go out for a tourist visa you might be able to do a change of visa status application to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category B) entry at immigration.

I'm planning to just get a two-month tourist visa, do I still need to do a change of visa status?

2 minutes ago, Panpan said:

I'm planning to just get a two-month tourist visa, do I still need to do a change of visa status?

Before you will be able to work again, your tourist entry needs to be converted to a non immigrant entry, and a work permit issued. It seems your company is not very good with paperwork, so applying for a Non B (with the lesser paperwork required) at a consulate outside Thailand may be easier than the conversion in country.

20 minutes ago, Panpan said:

I'm afraid this won't do as my Non-B will expire this 29th of July and she just told me yesterday that I can't apply for work permit yet since the immigration asked them for more documents and they can't finish it by the time my Non-b expires

Immigration has nothing to do with work permits being issued. The application is done at the Department Of Employment which is part of the Labor Ministry.

You should ask your employer to to contact them about trying  to have application accepted and approval letter so you can get a new non- b visa.

You have almost no time since the 29th is a holiday.

To get a little more time for them get the application done and the approval letter you could apply for an extension, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country after it is denied.

• Like 1

If you have to do the visa run remember HCMC requires visa payment in USD so get some before travel (very hard to legally obtain in HCMC from reports I have read - only two sources mentioned).  

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If you have to do the visa run remember HCMC requires visa payment in USD so get some before travel (very hard to legally obtain in HCMC from reports I have read - only two sources mentioned).  

Just to add the US notes have to be almost new, clean etc. Well dog-eared notes won't be accepted.

Yes, get them before you leave Thailand.

Don't know if Penang is still good or not for a single B if you have the right paperwork.

Edited by overherebc