American pedestrian killed after being hit by motorcycle north of Bangkok

webfact

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Very sad. Have to be so careful when crossing roads here. Unfortunately most drivers here don't see the importance of being aware of pedestrians when on the roads. 

Or anything else for that matter.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mak25 said:

But also many pedestrians here don't see the importance if being aware of cars/bikes when on the roads.

Just watch the newly arrived Russian tourists in Pattaya. Many of them just walk straight ahead without even bother looking. You really need to use all your senses as a pedestrian here. 

3 hours ago, justin case said:

thainess in action, causing a person to die and run away

but hey, don't you dare hit a dog that bite you or your family, you will end up in jail 

Who causing him to die?

The thai driving on the ROAD.

or the drunk American walking on the ROAD in the dark with no lights walk in the front of a motorbike?

Coming out of my kids private school with a guard controlling the traffic....he waves me out with an SUV stopped and I am turning right.....I hesitated and flying around the SUV totally ignoring the guard is a guy on a scooter with his child.....only my hesitation prevented a nasty accident from happening. From my observations here, especially with scooter riders, is they expect you to avoid them and they don't use their mirrors and don't seem to care about having an accident......overall stupid and lacking in basic intelligence. Harsh? I don't think so.

10 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

They're outside of a university. Blue road markings in Thailand are associated with bicycles and cycle lanes. So there may be is a clue?

I thought this was a pedestrian crossing?

What do bicycles have to do with it - are you saying it's a cycle crossing then? (straight question) The OP didn't mention anything about bicycles.

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

What do bicycles have to do with it - are you saying it's a cycle crossing then?

Nah this is a bicycle and a pedestrian crossing in Ting Tong land. God knows what a blue and white crossing is used for. If you were either of the 2 would you use it?

Image result for blue and white pedestrian crossings buriram thailand

6 hours ago, webfact said:

One motorcycle stopped to allow them to cross but another did not and slammed into Carl causing him to be hit by the taxi. 

It is extremely dangerous to stop and let pedestrians cross, especially if you are on a motorbike (small or big). Other bikes/cars will not stop and rear-end you, or swerve around you, increasing the dangers for the pedestrian even more.

If you are driving a big old truck (or tank), chances of survival increase drastically for yourself and to a lesser extent for the pedestrian, as there still might be idiots passing you left and right.

23 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Nah this is a bicycle and a pedestrian crossing in Ting Tong land. God knows what a blue and white crossing is used for. If you were either of the 2 would you use it?

Image result for blue and white pedestrian crossings buriram thailand

Perhaps these are designed with the colour-blind in mind?

Their mind will no doubt be the last thing that goes through their head when they're hit using the crossing.

A few comments to make here... 

1. Like someone else said.. motorbike hit someone hard enough for that person to fly into another vehicle and the motorbike did not wreck?... sounds fishy 

2. American guy with 24 year old Thai girl, late at night, and only going across the street to get some food? ... ya right.

3. Condolences for the deceased. But I must say that people do need to realize when they are in another country,  Pedestrians may not have "The Right of Way" .. like they do in the USA.  (LOL, this did bug my wife at 1st when we moved here, but she got used to it).

How far could the motorbike that hit Mr. Carl have gone? It had to have had some damage.  I'd hope the BIB would have at least done a quick canvass of the area the bike had driven after hitting the deceased. Maybe check some CCTV ?

8 minutes ago, Xavnel said:

A few comments to make here... 

1. Like someone else said.. motorbike hit someone hard enough for that person to fly into another vehicle and the motorbike did not wreck?... sounds fishy 

2. American guy with 24 year old Thai girl, late at night, and only going across the street to get some food? ... ya right.

3. Condolences for the deceased. But I must say that people do need to realize when they are in another country,  Pedestrians may not have "The Right of Way" .. like they do in the USA.  (LOL, this did bug my wife at 1st when we moved here, but she got used to it).

What does the age of the woman have to do with the accident? Is an older man with a younger woman more deserving of harm or death than anyone else?

40 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps these are designed with the colour-blind in mind?

Nah. If so what would be the point in the colour of the crossing. Just leave it blank. For people with vision problems they use tactile material.

Related image

The soi is not a major road and is in a local shopping/dining area. No crosswalks or protected crossing there but no reason for any vehicle to be at high speed in this area. Sad outcome at such a young age. RIP.

14 hours ago, overherebc said:

The sad/confused emiticons? are the most useless and most misunderstood. 

Better never to use them.

Do they mean I'm confused or sad or, do they mean the poster is confused/sad????

I'm confused. 

And Razek, your post is very close to an insult on another poster.

I think you use it for the first time so i will explane.

If you click sad that means you are sad about what happen in the story someone die i m sad i click sad

If you click Confused mean you

don t agree with what is writen or  you agree about 40% and you are not satisfated with the other 60%

If you click like that mean you have the same opinion. If you click thanks that mean you agreed and you find this opinion very human and reach your heart.

About insult read what transam write.... he said ...chum......

2 hours ago, Razek said:

I think you use it for the first time so i will explane.

If you click sad that means you are sad about what happen in the story someone die i m sad i click sad

If you click Confused mean you

don t agree with what is writen or  you agree about 40% and you are not satisfated with the other 60%

If you click like that mean you have the same opinion. If you click thanks that mean you agreed and you find this opinion very human and reach your heart.

About insult read what transam write.... he said ...chum......

I do thank you so much for the lesson.

Lesson for you.

Chum means friend, or in some cases a load of rotten fish you want to get rid of.

20 hours ago, mike787 said:

2 parties?  Try the entire country.  Nobody does. Hence the high death rates.

Stating that "nobody stops after accidents" is ridiculous because it is, simply, just wrong. 

Death rates on Thai roads have nothing to do with whether those involved stop after accidents, stopping after an accident does not affect the death rate!

Archived