Immigration Officers being ordered to act in a way which goes against their instinct by treating people as criminals when they know that they are not is deleterious and can only be having a very bad effect on morale.  

Unless, “It is difficult to believe that the other person is telling the truth if, in his position, you would not”. 

• Confused 2

34 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

...Unless, “It is difficult to believe that the other person is telling the truth if, in his position, you would not”. 

From what post did you copy the text you placed between quotation marks? I'd like to look it up in the hope of finding out who "the other person" is.

Where have you got all this from, and what are you really meaning with this thread?

Immigration officers are not ordered to treat people like criminals. The only thing that is given, is to much freedom to make their own individual interpretations of the rules and laws. It´s basically the Immigration Law that is written in a way that gives to wide possibilities to be viewed in different perspectives.

Surely everyone says things that they have heard but they can not be sure that the actual wordage is correct, in that case I put it in quotation marks so that I can not be accused of misquotation. If I knew from whence it came I would have supplied the reference in some way like Churchill said, or to paraphrase Dickens etc. 

This one reminds me of Evil to him who evil thinks. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Where have you got all this from, and what are you really meaning with this thread?

Immigration officers are not ordered to treat people like criminals. The only thing that is given, is to much freedom to make their own individual interpretations of the rules and laws. It´s basically the Immigration Law that is written in a way that gives to wide possibilities to be viewed in different perspectives.

I should have thought that the meaning was self evident. To be given a task by a senior officer is to be ordered, to be given a task which assumes that the subject of your investigation can not be trusted may not be criminal in itself but if it were, the treatment would be little different.  

Immigration officers are given no discretion whatsoever. For example; they are told that an up- to- date passbook of a fixed account has to be shown, they cannot accept the fact of a fixed account because they are told (ordered) that they may not.  If you have no receipt of a report to Immigration you have not reported.  A renewal stamp in a passport is does not count as a a 90 day report.  That a sketch map showing the location of one’s abode is required.  Just look at the number of posts on this forum where people who have been retired in Thailand for many years are still required to adhere to new conditions. 

Perhaps I credit Immigration Officers with more intelligence than they have but I do not think that I do. They have to do the most ridiculous things because they are ordered to and this has to effect their morale.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Immigration Officers being ordered to act in a way which goes against their instinct by treating people as criminals when they know that they are not is deleterious and can only be having a very bad effect on morale.

I would imagine morale to be at an all time low there. Buried under mountains of paperwork and working late every day, having to explain repeatedly to frustrated foreigners why they're now being fined for things that never used to be a problem, having to put up with Indians eating curry on the floor as there aren't enough chairs for people with everything taking twice as long. Immigration staff are as much the victims of the current shambles as the foreigners who are on the receiving end of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Perhaps I credit Immigration Officers with more intelligence than they have but I do not think that I do.

12 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Perhaps I credit the contributor here with too much intelligence! 

You seem to believe that you are the one crediting people with too much or more than they have regarding intelligence. Are you self appointed for that position?

You may be right, knowledge is perhaps a better word. 

It is possible that they do not know that a report is supposed to be recorded, that an address can be found at the post office or how a fixed bank account works. 

The second of your quotes similarly shows a lack of knowledge of english comprehension.  

8 minutes ago, dcnx said:

It’s difficult to browse Thai Visa due to all the ignorance here. I can’t imagine  having to deal with such people in person, every single day, day after day. I’m shocked we don’t have daily news of immigration suicides.

https://brainstats.com/average-iq-by-country.html

Nice eh?  But what people don't realize is 17% is below 85

iq_bell_curve.gif

Edited by marcusarelus

2 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Since this is a thread about immigration policy, a Dr Evil quote is perhaps appropriate:

"Why must I be surrounded by frickin' idiots?"

Just relax.  Who would let an Immigration person upset them?  It'l like expecting a policeman to teach quantum physics.  Not going to happen.  They aren't real bright just let it be.  

12 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Surely everyone says things that they have heard but they can not be sure that the actual wordage is correct, in that case I put it in quotation marks so that I can not be accused of misquotation. If I knew from whence it came I would have supplied the reference in some way like Churchill said, or to paraphrase Dickens etc. 

This one reminds me of Evil to him who evil thinks. 

If anything, I'd say Thailand's Immigration Officers act far more independently than say the UK's, USA's or Australia's.  There are still countless examples of "blind eyes" being turned on the production of some baht, and even the infamous Agents are known to be back in business greasing the wheels for some people!

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If anything, I'd say Thailand's Immigration Officers act far more independently than say the UK's, USA's or Australia's.  There are still countless examples of "blind eyes" being turned on the production of some baht, and even the infamous Agents are known to be back in business greasing the wheels for some people!

Back in business?