Proof of source of income for retirement ext Jomtien

35 minutes ago, Roy Baht said:

I think the Thai Immigration view is that if you can't afford to leave that much money here, earning little or no interest, then you can't afford to live here. They also want you to have readily available cash here in case of an emergency. For example, Thai hospitals have complained about debts accrued from foreign patients lacking cash.

and in an emergency you spend the money and lose your extension !!!!!!!

So it's clearly not for that purpose.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thequietman said:

and in an emergency you spend the money and lose your extension !!!!!!!

So it's clearly not for that purpose.

It's clearly for that purpose. They want people who can't afford to live here to lose their extensions. They just don't want them leaving debt behind.

Edited by Roy Baht
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

But in comparison to Tranferwise, at least with my UK bank, a swift transfer is a very expensive way to transfer money. 

HSBC fee = 4GBP, SCB fee = max 500bht, i don't call that expensive, but thats me.....

The only downside is SCB's crap exchange rate but i can live with that to ensure foreign transactions showing on my SCB statement.

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

HSBC fee = 4GBP, SCB fee = max 500bht, i don't call that expensive, but thats me.....

The only downside is SCB's crap exchange rate but i can live with that to ensure foreign transactions showing on my SCB statement.

I can't live with that - despite paying no fee with HSBC.

I will continue to use Transferwise to get a better result - and will encourage Immigration to understand my monthly transfers of 200,000 Baht.

29 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I can't live with that - despite paying no fee with HSBC.

I will continue to use Transferwise to get a better result - and will encourage Immigration to understand my monthly transfers of 200,000 Baht.

You have my best wishes.....:smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

RBS fee £24 for standard international transfer, up to 5 days, can take 7;  £34 for their 'fast track' transfer, which takes 3 days, so hardly fast.  That's why I use Transferwise.  

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

RBS fee £24 for standard international transfer, up to 5 days, can take 7;  £34 for their 'fast track' transfer, which takes 3 days, so hardly fast.  That's why I use Transferwise.  

and i can quite understand why, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask lol. My Swift transfer i did early July was completed the same day, done at 10am, received at 2pm with the charges as i said. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soisanuk said:

The Bangkok Bank NY Branch is not a retail bank so you cannot open a deposit account with them. However, if you have a Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand, you can transfer funds from your US bank through the Automated Clearing House (ACH) system used by the US Banking system (the NY branch is part of the system with an ACH number - once set up, you send your transfer to your Thai bank account number using the NY Branch ACH routing number - they then, for a fee, send the funds on to Bangkok Bank HQ and the HQ bank deposits it in your account - if a baht account, HQ converts it to baht for a small fee).   

BUT, in the latter part of 2018, things changed.  To set up, you had to use an International ACH transfer (IAT) - which US banks do not offer to retail customers, but some do for commercial accounts.  However, if you had already set up the ACH and were sending domestic ACH transfers, you could continue (April 1, 2019 was supposed to be the deadline, but the NY Branch is still sending domestic ACH transfers as of July and based on another Thaivisa thread, it appears they will continue to do so with the new deadline being the end of August for personal transfers and end of December for Direct Deposits for Gov't pensions.  After which, they will reject domestic ACH transfers and only accept those in IAT format).

As to using 65k per month deposit at Pattaya Immigration in Jomtien, I did my extension renewal in June.  I also had Bangkok Bank Statements for the past 12 months that had been certified by the Bank which was not acceptable (apparently, they don't want to wade through all the transactions to find the foreign deposits to the account - coded FTT.  The Immigration lady I dealt with gave me an example of the type of letter they wanted, which lists only the foreign deposits to the account for the past 12 months (and as mentioned, it was not redacted) - she also said I should go to the Bangkok Branch where I opened the account to get the letter as other Branches could not provide it for the 12 months.  My Branch did provide the letter, but first had to print out "credit advices" for each deposit (fee 500 baht), then they prepared the letter listing the deposits (fee 100 baht) - this took a little over an hour, but I had a lot of foreign source deposits for that period.

I was not asked for copies of my US Bank statements showing my pension deposits, but I did provide an "Annuity Statement" from my pension provider - so it may be they only want your home country bank statements showing pension deposits if you don't have a documents from your pension source showing the monthly amount you receive.  They also wanted a second letter from my bank verifying the account (this the same letter required of those using the 800k on deposit method). I also provided the identity page from my bank passbook and pages showing transactions for the past 12 months.

Absolutely incorrect, been doing it for years.Love how people give advice here when they have never done it themselves.

Do you think I am making this stuff up.

Been doing it for years and still doing it every month.

STOP giving incorrect advice.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

It's clearly for that purpose. They want people who can't afford to live here to lose their extensions. They just don't want them leaving debt behind.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Guy has a house, a car, investments both in Thailand and overseas, but only puts what is required in the bank account for immigration purposes. In an emergency, it is the only quick, liquid cash he has to pay for an operation!

So, he used it and is then told to get the hell out EVEN THOUGH he has paid his hospital bill!

If that makes sense to you, then I am lost for words. ????

• Sad 1

FYI today on the local Thai TV, the Thai expats group was interviewing a lady from Bangkok Bank and going over how to use their bank, what foreign transaction code or the internal bank transaction code and a bank letter that is sometimes used.  This monthly transfer really has to be stopped.  It is an  undue burden on expats that costs time and money.  Transactions fees do add up.  Somebody really needs to approach the immigration officials with some sort of average transaction to be allowed, three months worth of funds every 90 days or whatever.

[emoji106]

4 hours ago, thequietman said:

That makes absolutely no sense.

Guy has a house, a car, investments both in Thailand and overseas, but only puts what is required in the bank account for immigration purposes. In an emergency, it is the only quick, liquid cash he has to pay for an operation!

So, he used it and is then told to get the hell out EVEN THOUGH he has paid his hospital bill!

Yes you would jeopardize your visa to use it during an emergency but you can start the visa process again. For instance, return to your home country for a new O-A visa. Inconvenient but doable.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, thequietman said:

It would only be used in extreme emergencies and Thai immigration laws are written to provide some protection to Thai government, people and businesses not necessarily for the convenience of foreigners.

Getting started with a new non Imm O and eventually an extension would be an inconvenience but it's doable if you are unable to renew your extension because you were unable to maintain the required balance. 

But if you have to dip into that balance for a medical emergency because you don't have other money on hand or insurance, then that money is being used as intended... To allow you to receive medical care and the hospital to be paid for it.

You could pay for medical insurance, but then that might be quite expensive and you'd probably complain because you were paying for insurance but never were involved in a horrific accident or didn't have a heart attack so you never got to use the insurance.

its tough realizing that life can sometimes be a pain in the a$$.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1