Help translating short message in thai

Mark747

2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I think that we all realise that.

Are you familiar with the parlance of sex workers? I am interested in the expression นอนเป็นเพื่อน . Is นอนกัน not as good a euphemism as sleep with? So what effect does “as a friend” have? 

Would it be appropriate for a “client” as has been suggested here? 

"f#$@ buddy"

1 hour ago, Puwa said:

No it's มึงได้เพื่อนมัน -- you got his friend

Are you guessing? 

Are you thinking that she made the sacrifice of taking someone she did it like for the sake of her friend? 

1 hour ago, Puwa said:

In นอนเป็นเพื่อน the เป็นเพื่อน speaks to her attitude towards the guy-- casual, without expectation or attachment. It doesn't literally have anything to do with friendship. It's very common usage with verbs and isn't specific to the parlance of sex workers.

I don’t disagree with you. 

I was remembering once being told by a man who had been asked by a friend to take me shopping saying พาไปเป็นเพื่อน, I took it to mean out of goodness of heart not as a paid guide. Naturally being more wealthy I would pay for lunch and taxis but not for the service. That was many years ago. 

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

"f#$@ buddy"

this would be เพื่อนนอน

เป็นเพื่อน usually means something like "be a good friend"

If Thais say นอนเป็นเพื่อน in most cases this does indeed mean just sleep, like good friends, not thinking about sex. Because many Thais are afraid of ghosts and don't like to sleep alone.

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

this would be เพื่อนนอน

เป็นเพื่อน usually means something like "be a good friend"

If Thais say นอนเป็นเพื่อน in most cases this does indeed mean just sleep, like good friends, not thinking about sex. Because many Thais are afraid of ghosts and don't like to sleep alone.

I just messaged “นอนเป็นเพื่อน by a Pattaya girl to a farang” to my language friend in Thailand. 

Answer: “Means sex without relationship ,” 

“Or one night stand.” 

This shows how difficult it is to understand language, parlance is all important. 

I have to assume that he knows the parlance and that I was wrong. 

I facetimed and read the whole piece. 

The writer is giving her experience of this ‘john’, OK as a friend but no need to get serious she had him as a one nighter. I take it that these girls are looking for something more permanent. I did mention นอนเป็นสามี and it was not contradicted but I did not labour the point. I know of a girl who explained to her boyfriend why she ran from him in the street, that she had seen her husband! 

What do we think of that expression นอนเป็นสามี ? 

Incidentally มันดีแล้ว according to this source, is ‘it is a good thing,’ not เพื่อน(ของ)มัน ดีแล้ว 

There is only one ‘john’ . 

36 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

This shows how difficult it is to understand language, parlance is all important. 

I have to assume that he knows the parlance and that I was wrong. 

Of course it always depends on the situation and it can mean both.

But i think it's unlikely that after stating that somebody is unattractive, the next sentence would be that she wants to <deleted> with him. Way more likely that it means just friends, no sex (and because the sentence has no pronoun it's not clear if she is even talking about herself, or maybe more like a recommendation to her friend what to do)

Here an example for นอนเป็นเพื่อน

The guy says:

เดี๋ยวผมมานอนเป็นเพื่อนคุณนะ เราจะได้มีอะไรทำกัน

i will sleep with you like friends, then can spend time together

The girl understands:

เดี๋ยวผมมานอนเป็นเพื่อนคุณนะ เราจะได้มีอะไรกัน

i will sleep with you like friends, then we can have sex

So the girl slaps him. Then he clarifies what he said, and the girl says sorry, because นอนเป็นเพื่อน alone isn't seen in a bad way.

At least in case of this video นอนเป็นเพื่อน alone doesn't mean sex, they do understand it like "sleep like friends"

On 7/31/2019 at 8:44 AM, jackdd said:

Of course it always depends on the situation and it can mean both.

But i think it's unlikely that after stating that somebody is unattractive, the next sentence would be that she wants to <deleted> with him. Way more likely that it means just friends, no sex (and because the sentence has no pronoun it's not clear if she is even talking about herself, or maybe more like a recommendation to her friend what to do)

Here an example for นอนเป็นเพื่อน

The guy says:

เดี๋ยวผมมานอนเป็นเพื่อนคุณนะ เราจะได้มีอะไรทำกัน

i will sleep with you like friends, then can spend time together

The girl understands:

เดี๋ยวผมมานอนเป็นเพื่อนคุณนะ เราจะได้มีอะไรกัน

i will sleep with you like friends, then we can have sex

So the girl slaps him. Then he clarifies what he said, and the girl says sorry, because นอนเป็นเพื่อน alone isn't seen in a bad way.

At least in case of this video นอนเป็นเพื่อน alone doesn't mean sex, they do understand it like "sleep like friends"

That certainly confirms what you say, surprising really that two people of opposite sex and of mating age consider sharing a bedroom acceptable. Not many cultures would accept that. 

Also that เราจะได้มีอะไรกัน the equivalent do we might be able to have something together, something being a euphemism, can be made innocuous simply by inserting ทำ. I look forward to the time when I can see how that works! 

Archived