LAN 7 CABLE

PST

Im actually not sure of the difference between LAN 7 and CAT 7?,,,ive been told I need an LAN 7cable to connect an android box to router, this is for a restaurant and bar

Cat5 supports speeds up to 100Mb/s (100 MHz)

Cat5e supports speeds up to a Gigabit Ethernet (1,000Mb/s) (100 MHz)

Cat6 supports speeds up to 10 Gigabit Ethernet and can be achieved with distance of 37-55 meters or less depending on the grade of the cable and quality of installation. (1,000Mb/s) (250 MHz)

Cat6A supports speeds up to 10 Gigabit Ethernet with distance up to 100 meters (10,000 Mb/s)(500 MHz)

Cat7 & Cat7A support speeds up to 10 Gigabit Ethernet with distance up to 100 meters (10,000 Mb/s)(1000 Mhz)

I use Cat5e between my router and my android box at home.

OK thanks, all I know is the business has 3bb wifi installed, and they run cctv off it, plus an old iptv system, which is a bit hit and miss. A new android box is arriving soon, as current system is 3 years old. Theres is a current LAN/CAT connection, but im not sure whick, its an all blue cable.

Ive been told that as the cable is also 3 years old, I need to get the LAN 7 to stop the stop/starting that occurs now....distance between box and router is approx. 10 metres

Any 5e or better cable will give you 1 Gbit speed (does your android box even have a gigabit port), just don't buy the very cheapest one.

If you go to a slightly reasonable computer shop like JIB, Advice or similar and buy a cable which says Gbit / 1000Mbit/s this will work.

7 hours ago, PST said:

Ive been told that as the cable is also 3 years old, I need to get the LAN 7 to stop the stop/starting that occurs now....distance between box and router is approx. 10 metres

Whoever told you that is an idiot.

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Whoever told you that is an idiot.

ok, thanks for that. So how do I correct the stop/start issue?, it dosent happen all the time, and only on certain channels. The current system is infomir, and is 4 years old, wifi is 3bb, and never an issue when using it from my phone, the cctv also runs off internet.

22 minutes ago, PST said:

ok, thanks for that. So how do I correct the stop/start issue?, it dosent happen all the time, and only on certain channels. The current system is infomir, and is 4 years old, wifi is 3bb, and never an issue when using it from my phone, the cctv also runs off internet.

If the cable was at fault then you would expect to get the buffering on all channels, so that is unlikely to be the cause. But you never know. Can you try another LAN cable of any type (Cat5e will be fine)? Are the channels that cause problems unusual in any way? ie HD instead of SD?

Have you tested the same channel on the phone at the same time as you are getting buffering on the Android box? That would rule out the service provider but there may still be some particular routing issue with the Android box.

If your phone works properly over wifi, have you tried using wifi on your Android box instead of the ethernet connection? Or could it be that your phone is working on 4G and not wifi? That could make a big difference as the problem may just be with 3BB.

Can you do some speed tests from the Android box, to servers both inside and outside of Thailand, and see if the results are stable?

Could you borrow another Android box from someone to test? In my experience Android boxes don't work very well.

the current box as far as I know isn't android, and runs of LAN as running it off normal wifi proved slower. The new android box arrives soon, so I will test it on the current set up and take it from there. Ive done no tests on my phone, as its not my business that the android box is going into, and I don't have the app installed on my phone,, im simply helping the new owner get his new box up and running, as the old box (infomir) is being taken out very soon

9 minutes ago, PST said:

The new android box arrives soon, so I will test it on the current set up and take it from there. Ive done no tests on my phone, as its not my business that the android box is going into, and I don't have the app installed on my phone,, 

OK. I understood from your previous comment that the app/streaming did work on your phone.

Anyway, the new box should help and you will be able to use any LAN cable with it including the existing one (unless of course the existing cable is damaged in some way). If the new box doesn't work properly either, do some speed tests as mentioned previously.

Archived