345 for a tin of corned beef

baneko

6 hours ago, manarak said:

take out your phone, price for 1Kg = price / weight in Kg

I can usually do the sums in my head but just saying a turkey costs £75 doesn't tell me what the kilo weight is it a 5kg Turkey or a 10kg or a 15 kg............

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Where is that available ?, used to be able to get Princess Corned beef, in TOPS,RimPing,

and TESCO, but have not seen any for quite a while, Corned beef ,Onion and Potato pies,Mmm.

regards worgeordie

Burirampieman. You can Google him.

Probably need to pay a bout 60 baht for delivery. Order a few tins to make it worth while.

20 hours ago, champers said:

I had a bit of a yearning for some hot smoked salmon. Very nice with lightly pickled cucumber and beetroot with a good quality potato salad. Tops will have it, I reckoned, and sure enough they did at Pattaya's Central Festival food hall. Cost was 360 Baht, more than £9 for 1 piece of salmon. After the smelling salts brought me round I decided to take a pass on the salmon.

I have seen tinned corned beef at under 300 Baht a tin and, because of an endearing love for corned beef and piccallili butties, have sometimes yielded to temptation. Plenty of portions to be had from one tin, so can represent value for money.

And how much was the piccallili? 

Doesn't Yorkies make both Corned Beef and the aforementioned garnish? Well Eileen used to.

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And how much was the piccallili? 

Doesn't Yorkies make both Corned Beef and the aforementioned garnish? Well Eileen used to.

My local Best Supermarket stocks Yorkies pies and pasties, bacon and sausages, but not corned beef. BTW, Yorkies pork sausages are excellent, 198 Baht for 8.

Haywards Piccallili was about 130 Baht for a standard jar, lasts me at least 6 months. By comparison, a big bag of Maltesers costs 135 Baht and lasts me half an hour!

17 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I dont own a factory in Argentina nor a tinning plant.

You must not be British.  My granny's recipe; make a salty curing brine with a little prague powder with pickling spices like mustard seed, allspice berries, coriander seeds, and peppercorns. Then you marinated a beef brisket in the brine, for 5 to 7 days. Once brined, you remove the brisket from the brine and simmer it in water with more pickling spices for several hours until tender.

https://heygrillhey.com/home-cured-corned-beef-pastrami/

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

You must not be British.  My granny's recipe; make a salty curing brine with a little prague powder with pickling spices like mustard seed, allspice berries, coriander seeds, and peppercorns. Then you marinated a beef brisket in the brine, for 5 to 7 days. Once brined, you remove the brisket from the brine and simmer it in water with more pickling spices for several hours until tender.

That sir is not corned beef, I have an Aussie friend who makes the Aus version of Corned Beef, below is the Corned beef we refer to:

corned.jpg

When I tell the Mrs of extortionate  prices ie 8 quid for a fray bentos pie or 30 quid for 6 Japanese strawberry's plus a million other things she says its because it comes a long way but I don't believe her ????

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Corned-Beef-and-Cabbage.jpg

I can assure you sir that the two are like Chalk & Cheese, absolutely no comparison, may I suggest you buy a tin, chill in the fridge for a few hours, cut some thick slices apply to buttered bread cover with HP or Daddies Brown sauce add the other buttered slice and eat, I think you will agree that the tinned version is superior in every way to that tatty imitation you have posted ???? 

corned.jpg

16 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I can assure you sir that the two are like Chalk & Cheese, absolutely no comparison, may I suggest you buy a tin, chill in the fridge for a few hours, cut some thick slices apply to buttered bread cover with HP or Daddies Brown sauce add the other buttered slice and eat, I think you will agree that the tinned version is superior in every way to that tatty imitation you have posted ???? 

corned.jpg

Gramps told me they did that during the blitz and later I did it on long distance sailboat races but never at home.  We always had corned brisket of beef for dinner and made hash the next morning for breakfast.  

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Gramps told me they did that during the blitz and later I did it on long distance sailboat races but never at home.  We always had corned brisket of beef for dinner and made hash the next morning for breakfast.  

I know which hash I prefer for breakfast !     LOL

20 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Corned beef in a tin was war rations when fresh beef was not available.  No one really eats it unless the Germans are bombing do they?  Or on Nelson's ship during the battle of Trafalgar. 

wouldn't pay that for the equivalent weight of real corned beef let alone that crap in a can..

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

and when you eat that you'll never make the mistake of calling the canned crap corned beef again..

2 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Foodland two frozen kippers around 500 grams 693 baht. Medium sized Aussie turnip 280 baht. That is 7 bloody quid

In some tesco you can find 2 frozen mackerel ready to grill for 69 baht

Its next to the frozen squid and frozen fish heads 

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

corned.jpg

I thought this was a foodie thread????

Then someone posts that a tin full of bovine toe nails, testicles and a@@eholes, mixed with a little meat is superior to home made corned beef brisket. 

Must have been mistaken.

3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I thought this was a foodie thread????

Then someone posts that a tin full of bovine toe nails, testicles and a@@eholes, mixed with a little meat is superior to home made corned beef brisket. 

Must have been mistaken.

I have no problem with your comment, a bit like certain fast food outlets so called "Chicken Nuggets" and the ingredients therein, however having been brought up in the UK in the 50's I appreciate things like "OUR" Corned beef compared to yours, the first time I tried your Corned Beef was maybe only 3 years ago, it has absolutely no comparison to our canned bully beef and as I have previously stated they are like chalk and cheese, I prefer mine to yours, it's as simple as that, and not whether one is a heathen for liking something he was brought up on, remember we still had rationing and as a child I played on bomb sites in the middle of London. unlike you guys from USA, Aus & NZ that were shielded from the actual physicality of the war, Yes I know you lost a lot of sons, brothers & fathers as did we and I remember them each and every day almost. Truce.

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have no problem with your comment, a bit like certain fast food outlets so called "Chicken Nuggets" and the ingredients therein, however having been brought up in the UK in the 50's I appreciate things like "OUR" Corned beef compared to yours, the first time I tried your Corned Beef was maybe only 3 years ago, it has absolutely no comparison to our canned bully beef and as I have previously stated they are like chalk and cheese, I prefer mine to yours, it's as simple as that, and not whether one is a heathen for liking something he was brought up on, remember we still had rationing and as a child I played on bomb sites in the middle of London. unlike you guys from USA, Aus & NZ that were shielded from the actual physicality of the war, Yes I know you lost a lot of sons, brothers & fathers as did we and I remember them each and every day almost. Truce.

Not sure what you mean about "ours and yours".

I come from UK.

2 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Not sure what you mean about "ours and yours".

I come from UK.

That was mainly directed towards our U.S. and Commonwealth members who don't seem to have had the pleasure of a tin of bully beef, hence the ours & yours comment, most of them have never tried it and fob it off as crap ???? At least I have had both so feel qualified to comment. ???? 

Just now, Golden Triangle said:

That was mainly directed towards our U.S. and Commonwealth members who don't seem to have had the pleasure of a tin of bully beef, hence the ours & yours comment, most of them have never tried it and fob it off as crap ???? At least I have had both so feel qualified to comment. ???? 

But you were quoting me???

I too have tried both. I also remember the scandal of the Argentinian corned beef in the 80s.

Most processed, canned meat is crap. Let's face it. As are most supermarket bought sausages and burgers, pies and pasties.

Archived