345 for a tin of corned beef

baneko

3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

But you were quoting me???

I too have tried both. I also remember the scandal of the Argentinian corned beef in the 80s.

Most processed, canned meat is crap. Let's face it. As are most supermarket bought sausages and burgers, pies and pasties.

I was replying to post 57 - yours I think, 

26 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I thought this was a foodie thread????

Then someone posts that a tin full of bovine toe nails, testicles and a@@eholes, mixed with a little meat is superior to home made corned beef brisket. 

Must have been mistaken.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have no problem with your comment, a bit like certain fast food outlets so called "Chicken Nuggets" and the ingredients therein, however having been brought up in the UK in the 50's I appreciate things like "OUR" Corned beef compared to yours, the first time I tried your Corned Beef was maybe only 3 years ago, it has absolutely no comparison to our canned bully beef and as I have previously stated they are like chalk and cheese, I prefer mine to yours, it's as simple as that, and not whether one is a heathen for liking something he was brought up on, remember we still had rationing and as a child I played on bomb sites in the middle of London. unlike you guys from USA, Aus & NZ that were shielded from the actual physicality of the war, Yes I know you lost a lot of sons, brothers & fathers as did we and I remember them each and every day almost. Truce.

American soldiers killed 407,300.  383,700 UK and all it's Crown colonies. I am a disabled VFW Vet.  Do you think I have the right to comment?  

You don't think America had rationing?  Below a care package for Britain and Wales. 

CARE-assistant-for_3475484b.jpg

22 hours ago, faraday said:

Corned beef sandwiches.... sitting on the beach with Mum, Dad & my sister, slight drizzle, cold breeze, after a dip in the refreshing near sub-zero sea:Lovely.

Yes, it really was lovely.

Was it corned beef or spam

47 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

American soldiers killed 407,300.  383,700 UK and all it's Crown colonies. I am a disabled VFW Vet.  Do you think I have the right to comment?  

You don't think America had rationing?  Below a care package for Britain and Wales. 

I believe the gentleman was referring to the  fact that the homeland of the US, Aus and NZ were not  attacked in the same manner as the London blitz which saw many casualties and deaths and lasted a long time.  

The Us did have rationing during the  WW II and  the Corned Beef in a tine was given to US soldiers and was called Spam.   After the war- a standing order in our house was no food in a tin- ever.  Also, rice was forbidden as my father served in Asia  during  the war.

As a child growing up in America, I can r emember my mother making corned beef and cabbage and it was delicious.

IMO- both England and the US have our traditional foods that we crave from time to time.  The problem in Thailand is that the Thais tax everything that is imported and coupled with  bad exchange rates- some of these foods almost become delicacies akin to caviar.

3 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I believe the gentleman was referring to the  fact that the homeland of the US, Aus and NZ were not  attacked in the same manner as the London blitz which saw many casualties and deaths and lasted a long time.  

The Us did have rationing during the  WW II and  the Corned Beef in a tine was given to US soldiers and was called Spam.   After the war- a standing order in our house was no food in a tin- ever.  Also, rice was forbidden as my father served in Asia  during  the war.

As a child growing up in America, I can r emember my mother making corned beef and cabbage and it was delicious.

IMO- both England and the US have our traditional foods that we crave from time to time.  The problem in Thailand is that the Thais tax everything that is imported and coupled with  bad exchange rates- some of these foods almost become delicousies akin to caviar.

Big new Wagyu beef ranch in Surin.  Trying to do cheese in Thailand.  Trying to do wine.  Pattaya and Bangkok no problem getting anything as long as price is not the object.  Many tragic stories from WWII both at home and abroad America lost more soldiers than UK and forever changed the eating habits of Americans.  Pizza one notable example.  An interesting story was how FDR and Eisenhower and Churchill were not going to feed the women and children of France after the D-Day invasion.  And the lady who changed their minds.  

4 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Can you all remembers the days when you could walk into any store and buy anything you wanted without fretting over the price?

That's one of the big reasons I stay in Thailand.  I can eat anywhere I want and tell my wife to order anything she wants.  Rayong not Bangkok.  I can buy any phone I want.  I can tell my driver to drive anywhere I want.  I can stop at the local place and choose any company I want.  I live where I want, had the furniture I want custom made.  I make my own food and buy anything I want to accomplish that.  I cure corned beef and ham.  

One of the nicest things is doing what I want to do and that is priceless.  

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

That's one of the big reasons I stay in Thailand.  I can eat anywhere I want and tell my wife to order anything she wants.  Rayong not Bangkok.  I can buy any phone I want.  I can tell my driver to drive anywhere I want.  I can stop at the local place and choose any company I want.  I live where I want, had the furniture I want custom made.  I make my own food and buy anything I want to accomplish that.  I cure corned beef and ham.  

How is that different to the rest of the world? 

1 hour ago, madmen said:

How is that different to the rest of the world? 

Can't do it in America or Canada.  Can't afford to do it in Japan or the South of France.  Wouldn't want to do it in the UK.  Australia too many snakes to do it.  Too cold to do it in Finland and look at the problems Julian had in Sweden.  It's illegal in most of the Middle East.  Tahiti would be OK but I think there is a visa problem.

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Yup, that's how I bought my Ferrari.

I had a good job when I was 14.  Made big bucks - as much as a plumber.  I banked the cash and bought my first Jaguar at 16 and my dad made me take it back.  America always sucked.  I took 3 black hookers to my all boys catholic school senior prom and Father Maybush (gay child abuser) wouldn't let me in the prom.  America the land of hypocrisy.  

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I had a good job when I was 14.  Made big bucks - as much as a plumber.  I banked the cash and bought my first Jaguar at 16 and my dad made me take it back.  America always sucked.  I took 3 black hookers to my all boys catholic school senior prom and Father Maybush (gay child abuser) wouldn't let me in the prom.  America the land of hypocrisy.  

I can kinda see why Father Maybush wouldn’t let the 3 hookers in......lol

21 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

I can kinda see why Father Maybush wouldn’t let the 3 hookers in......lol

Detroit was changing back then if you look close you can see me to the left of the Supremes the year before my prom.  However canned corned beef was not on the menu,  

debut.jpg

35 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Detroit was changing back then if you look close you can see me to the left of the Supremes the year before my prom.  However canned corned beef was not on the menu,  

debut.jpg

Awesome post. Good looking guy ????

Baby

Baby love, baby love

On 7/28/2019 at 5:30 PM, CharlieH said:

A Turkey !! They wanted (in Dec) £75 in Makro, needless to say I wouldnt pay it.

"Whats the most expensive food you have bought here?" So you didn't buy it !

On 7/28/2019 at 6:02 PM, Gumballl said:

I for one have coin, but 375 baht for corned beef in a can is the topic.

I agree with the OP... just walk away.

i bought some corned beef a few days ago.....159 baht was the price.....dewhirsts was the brand....

On 7/28/2019 at 5:28 PM, baneko said:

Thank <deleted> I have baht and not pounds in the bank. Whats the most expensive food you have bought here?

I DID NOT BUY IT  but the most expensive common item I've seen recently is this maple syrup at a local store.

790 THB is dear IMHO.

A friend suggested it's so expensive because it has the Canadian flag (original) but that hardly justifies the price for me.

I wouldn't pay that much for maple syrup  regardless of its country of origin.  I nevertheless shop at and like the market where I saw this.

979782004_villamaplesurup.thumb.jpeg.62138ee137d97c56c02f6e060194bf1d.jpeg

4 hours ago, essox essox said:

have you all heard OF IMPORT DUTIES???

This is why farang foodstuffs are expensive....its as simple as that......

yeah 300 % on some things, exactly !!

On 7/28/2019 at 7:02 PM, Gumballl said:

I for one have coin, but 375 baht for corned beef in a can is the topic.

I agree with the OP... just walk away.

IIRC a tin of corned beef was about that (maybe even 395) in Villa but I bring mine in from Singapore where it's < s$4 (< 100 THB) a can 

A timely reminder, I'm pretty sure I've run out so will need to bring some back with me on tomorrow's return. 

On 7/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, Don Mega said:

Corned beef in a can... is that the crap called Spam ?

To answer the question though I do like me a Wagyu Tomahawk steak but at Bt.4500 I have had to slow down a bit on them until the AUD bounces back.

Spam is different, you aren't British are you.

On 7/29/2019 at 6:44 PM, marcusarelus said:

marcus,  years ago l too made corned beef at home, simple really.  do use aussie brisket?

corned beef on rhyevbread, large pickel, etc. yum. i may make some this week.

2 hours ago, IraqRon said:

marcus,  years ago l too made corned beef at home, simple really.  do use aussie brisket?

corned beef on rhyevbread, large pickel, etc. yum. i may make some this week.

I think it was Thai French.  The more fat in the brisket the better. 

Archived