Best fiber optic internet provider?

elektrified

9 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

You only need 25 - 30 Mb/s to stream a HD movie or TV. And to download from a torrent depends on what speed the Seed is sending at.

Sorry, I did not read later answers.

You are probably better off with a cloud seedbox.  always on and you can download directly at higher speed.

6 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

You are probably better off with a cloud seedbox.  always on and you can download directly at higher speed.

Sounds interesting, please explain. I have OneDrive and Google Drive.

Thanks, just Googled it. Will not really be much use for me as I download movies overnight. Speed is no worry.

Edited by wgdanson

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Sounds interesting, please explain. I have OneDrive and Google Drive.

Take a look at something like snthostings.com  a seedbox is pre-configured to do one thing really well 24/7:  upload/download torrents added.    You would add magnet link and/or torrent file to the seedbox.

Also you could create torrents with existing files or by uploading files.

Especially if you use a private tracker, a seedbox is almost a requirement to keep a good seeding ratio.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BestB said:

AIS playbox is a digital box that allows cable TV streaming at fraction of the cable TV costs.

Its pretty much truevisions cable but for few hundred baht per month over few thousand with true.

4 fox movie channels, 4-5 HBO movie channels, fox life, and few other fox channels, blue ants channels and few sports channels, plus all the news of course.

If by UK Farang you mean English speaking person then plenty of English speaking channels, but by UK Farang you mean UK TV, then you get none of it

Thanks. Anything English works ????

13 minutes ago, BestB said:

AIS playbox is a digital box that allows cable TV streaming at fraction of the cable TV costs.

Its pretty much truevisions cable but for few hundred baht per month over few thousand with true.

4 fox movie channels, 4-5 HBO movie channels, fox life, and few other fox channels, blue ants channels and few sports channels, plus all the news of course.

If by UK Farang you mean English speaking person then plenty of English speaking channels, but by UK Farang you mean UK TV, then you get none of it

And if I'm not mistaken, a firmware update that AIS pushed out some time back basically crippled their boxes in terms of being able to install and use regular Android apps as had been allowed originally. Now, it's just the ones that AIS loads themselves.

I've been with 3BB for a few years now after switching from CAT fibre and it's been great, 500/500 speeds. Had an issue recently where the net was dropping out every other day, they came around the same day and switched the router out for a new one, and have no issues since. Think i'm paying like 1,200 THB/ month, highly recommend it. Also when I signed up it was only like 100mbps, when they plans changed, they upgraded us for free.

2019-07-30_13-59-10.jpg

Edited by MarleyMarl
  • Thanks 1

I switched to AIS with the B533 deal 200Mbs, playbox and a free 20Gb/mth SIM card, works well and mostly better than 3BB which I still have till the end of the contract. When I went to cancel 3BB they upped me to 200Mb on a B749 plan, but the way things are going I'll ditch 3BB.

The playbox doesn't have a lot of content, although the SIM card was impressive speed wise, doubt I'd keep them after the promotion period, just the internet package. 

• Like 1

Thanks again for the continued replies. As I expected it's a mixed bag, and as a couple of members pointed out - it really depends on location. When we had 3BB ADSL, we were the last home in the village (last soi, last home who used 3BB) and our speed was terrible.

One thing I have to say is that True customer service is excellent, both on the phone and when the technicians come as well. I will definitely consider their service. I'm willing to give AIS  a shot as well, but I could not return to 3BB.

49 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Correct. But it does include some apps like Netflix, as for the rest, well, it's a TV set-top box running on Android that allows live TV streaming and video on demand.

I can still use my own Android TV box with all of my apps can't I?

3 hours ago, elektrified said:

We had 3BB ADSL for many years.  I did not like their service and how they did business and would not go back to doing business with them.

I have no problems with their service or their IT team, they have consistently upgraded the packages over 10 years.

However, I do despise calling them up on a monthly basis to get them to remove the ‘nag’ screen and throttled connection. It’s always the same, well you haven’t paid yet, wt? It’s not due for another 7 days, “yes sir, but it’s just a reminder” that’s ok, I don’t need reminding, I didn’t need reminding last month or the month before ., they seem to think it’s fine to request payment a week before due date.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And if I'm not mistaken, a firmware update that AIS pushed out some time back basically crippled their boxes in terms of being able to install and use regular Android apps as had been allowed originally. Now, it's just the ones that AIS loads themselves.

No idea , I just use on/off button and up/ down to scroll programs ????????

3 hours ago, Aforek said:

I live in the sticks ; before, I was with 3 BB adsl, and I moved here, came to 3 bb to have fiber, but they never came ; So I went to TOT, a little bit afraid because I have read bad things about them; but I am now with TOT fiber, very satisfied, one time I did a mistake ( reset my modem, every thing stopped ), the engineers came very fast and they told me, never do anything, if problem, you call us ...

I have had the same experience. I had a problem once, and they came within a day, if not the same day. Remarkably good service and I love the connection. I sometimes download a 5GB film in minutes. 

8 hours ago, MarleyMarl said:

I've been with 3BB for a few years now after switching from CAT fibre and it's been great, 500/500 speeds. Had an issue recently where the net was dropping out every other day, they came around the same day and switched the router out for a new one, and have no issues since. Think i'm paying like 1,200 THB/ month, highly recommend it. Also when I signed up it was only like 100mbps, when they plans changed, they upgraded us for free.

2019-07-30_13-59-10.jpg

For about 300 baht more you get 1000Mbps downloads on 3bb.  Download movies in 3 seconds.  I thought I'd posted a speed test but it's gone. 

Edited by marcusarelus