Visa on arrival for an Irish national to Visit Vietnam via Don mueng airport

I recently booked a five day holiday for me and the mrs to Ho Chi Min city. Hotel, flight etc when I tried to check in at Don Mueng they said that I couldn't get a visa on arrival in Vietnam. the Mrs was fine but I would have to apply on line beforehand or re book the flight. Plus give them a chunk of money to sort it out for me. I checked online beforehand and it looked ok to get a visa on arrival anyone else had this problem.

I visited Vietnam from Thailand (Oz citizen) for the first time in April.

I don't know what are the rules for the Irish visiting VN, but for me and my friends in Oz it was quite clear on the relevant VN government websites that (1) you have to apply in advance on the websites, with photo & p/p details etc, (2) await clearance email with letter to say you can go (3) submit letter to VN Immigration on arrival to receive visitor visa.

OP, you've written this thread, but you had no time to Google the visa regulations of Vietnam?

it's a very easy and painless process. Thais do not need a visa for up to 30 days. 

How long does it take to apply an E-visa?

Your waiting time will depend on what case you choose. There are three options:

• Standard Processing Time: 5 business days.
  • Rush Processing: 4 business days.
  • Super Rush Processing: 2 business days.

How long is the validity of Vietnam e-Visa?

The Vietnam e-Visa has the validity of 30 days after your arrival. In addition, it is a single entry visa and allows for a maximum stay of 30 days.

https://vietnamembassy-thailand.org/e-visa-and-things-you-need-to-know/