UK holiday-makers feel early hit from pound's new Brexit fall

snoop1130

5 hours ago, puipuitom said:

1) As everybody with some insight in economy, finance and forex already forecasted. Still, the mayoralty of pensionario's in Thailand voted for a Brexit according Thai Visa. 'Who burns his bottom, must sit on the blisters"

2) Developing country are no "ape countries" anymore. Look to Thailand and compare that with 30 years ago. Lots of factories built with modern machinery, competing with the "Old Western" economies. Slowly but surely they will arrive close to the Western World, with.. a much stronger own currency. Japan and South Korea went ahead, China followed, and now Malaysia, Thailand, and after Vietnam.

were british non residents allowed to vote in the eu referendum?thought you had to be on the electoral role to qualify?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

After a small recovery, the GBP continues on its path towards "one once"… 

Enjoy your €uro-countries holidays, as next year, it could be only the British shores… ( ok. no need for a Schengen-visa also) 

GBP continue ... down.jpg

No doubt the denizens of the Med countries will be cheering at their good fortune.  People who live in Blackpool, Scarborough and Skeggy are going to be pissed off though.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:57 AM, darksidedog said:

Expats are taking a bigger hit. They are abroad all the time, many with frozen pensions, watching their standard of living declining by the day. Sterling has lost a third of its value since the Brexit vote and by all accounts it is going to get worse before it gets better.

It's not going to get better

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, evadgib said:

But it will get better and might already have started if we'd left on time.

What are you basing your view on? Look at the long term history of the pound. A few peaks and troughs but the trend is down. 

Edited by dode57k

Since the referendum on June 23, 2016, the course is almost steady.
Compared to the dollar, the minus is currently at 18 percent, compared to the euro at around 16 percent.

The money amount M2 of the UK is:

2.433.285 Million or 2.433 billions GBP

2.433 x 0,18 = 437,94 billions loss against $

Or in other words: The Brexit has cost the UK so far 52 years, the EU net contribution.

Of course, no politician voluntarily tells that the UK People.

united-kingdom-money-supply-m2@2x.png.1a02e71bf14160aba5ad244cee54b047.png

2 hours ago, kingdong said:

were british non residents allowed to vote in the eu referendum?thought you had to be on the electoral role to qualify?

UK expats can vote in UK elections (including the EU referendum) up to 15 years after leaving the UK.

The registration process is quite simple, if you were already registered to vote before leaving the UK, but I'm guessing that most didn't bother.

https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:10 PM, worgeordie said:

Is there no good news coming from the UK ?

or is it all doom and gloom,I wonder if there

is a point where buying Sterling could pay off ?

I suppose the only ones that know will be the

speculators,earning money off others misery,

regards Worgeordie

a brexiteer will tell you its all rainbows and gold dust tomorrow, led by the multi millionaire Boris Johnson who won't be affected either way - as for buying sterling - if you're under 30 I would say go for it (and even then its a punt !)

Currency dealers, or speculators as you call them, are making money out of UK Brexit stupidity not misery. Big difference.

Maybe UK holidaymakers should think about taking their summer break in the UK, where the pound is still worth exactly 100 pence and buys just as much as it did before the Brexit vote.

There are plenty of amazing towns, cities, national parks, historical sites, cultural events, and even clean/safe beaches, to match any in the world.

I live in Thailand but, for me and my family, Northumberland and Scotland has been my choice for our annual 3-week+ holiday for many years.

bamburgh-beach165.jpg.b369a50dc9343dc459babd73814da1b6.jpg

Hadrians-Wall-1.jpg.877d408dcd61b737d00f96c85e2ed07a.jpg

image.thumb.png.e559f56c8f35736bd3791593f0adf266.png

image.png.addf7b814c36293827a6203996621a2d.png

1. Bamburgh Castle and beach

2. Hadrian's Wall

3. Edinburgh Castle

4. Berwick upon Tweed

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Maybe UK holidaymakers should think about taking their summer break in the UK, where the pound is still worth exactly 100 pence and buys just as much as it did before the Brexit vote.

There are plenty of amazing towns, cities, national parks, historical sites, cultural events, and even clean/safe beaches, to match any in the world.

I live in Thailand but, for me and my family, Northumberland and Scotland has been my choice for our annual 3-week+ holiday for many years.

bamburgh-beach165.jpg.b369a50dc9343dc459babd73814da1b6.jpg

Hadrians-Wall-1.jpg.877d408dcd61b737d00f96c85e2ed07a.jpg

image.thumb.png.e559f56c8f35736bd3791593f0adf266.png

image.png.addf7b814c36293827a6203996621a2d.png

1. Bamburgh Castle and beach

2. Hadrian's Wall

3. Edinburgh Castle

4. Berwick upon Tweed

Fond memories from my youth,many really beautiful places in the NE and on the borders,

thanks for posting the photos.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

The speculators by and large know nothing more than most of us , they are simply gambling , you or I could do exactly the same if desired.

It also should be noted that some traders will take the long view , ie speculate on Sterlings eventual recovery. You might say they would then be earning money from others happiness.

haha yep the top 1% degree educated brains behind the JP Morgan, Citibank or ALL other world financial institutions of this complex world have no more idea than Thaivisa forum members !! 

You heard it here first folks!

They are earning money from a self inflicted calamity - and good luck to them. Opportunities like that are once in a blue moon. The FTSE100 is a licence to print money with the pound plunging, but then I'm sure TV members knew that already !

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

snip 

Thanks for the great Pictures.
But your message is only partially correct.

From OP:
In July, supermarket chain Tesco increased prices on around 1,000 products, citing cost pressures which included the fall in the value of the pound.
And from other Threat.
Businesses also reported the weaker pound was pushing up the cost of some imports, 

It is logical that the GBP has dropped 18% against the dollar since Brexit and 16% against the Euro,
that imports are becoming more expensive.
And the UK imports more than it exports.

Furthermore, if additional tariffs (WTO) are added, the cost of living will increase within the UK.

The UK is not out yet, but in the case of a no deal Brexit these extra tariffs will raise the price level significantly.

The only question is whether wages will rise so fast in international competition.
That is very unlikely.

The productivity of the UK is rather mediocre (created values per capita). There will be no productivity push.

Also, the economies of scale of mass production will decline if market access shrinks or is hampered.

Enjoy your Scotland vacation, but that your 100 pence can buy exactly the same, I can not support this Statement.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

When was the Euro at 50 Baht? Must be a very long time ago. Since the Brexit the GBP fall much more than every other currency. Also to the Euro and the USD.

2.JPG

It was 33 end of Feb 2002, it did touch 50 for a day or two and was 43-45 for a while and slowly went down to just under 40.this January the best I got was on the day I arrived at Superrich at the airport was 35:85 you know the rest.The euro only touched 50 the same as the pound touched 90.

6 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

UK expats can vote in UK elections (including the EU referendum) up to 15 years after leaving the UK.

The registration process is quite simple, if you were already registered to vote before leaving the UK, but I'm guessing that most didn't bother.

https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

I thought it was 10 years for the referendum.

14 hours ago, Atens4 said:

Bath is simply too strong, hurts exports. at the same time prices goes up, Visa getting expensive.

It's not hurting the people who are buying up the now seemingly cheap assets abroad, including the UK.

Seems the tables are turning. 

The Brexiteers favour turning our country into a tax haven for money launderers, tax evaders and worse...as if it was not already.

One good thing about this Brexit mess that a lot of the old miserable Racist gits I met in Pattaya who was trying to pretend that it was great won't be able to afford to get drunk everyday and have girlfriends the same age as there grandchildren who future they have wiped there <deleted> with it would be funny if the UK wasn't facing certain Doom.

And we ant even come out yet 25 to bhat anyone?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Prepare for the worst , it can and probably will go down much more . Boris is a liar and dreamer .
I was just thinking if Boris is the first PM in history to total balls the UK up before he got the TOP job can anyone confirm this for me.

For some in Britain, the fact that the pound has traditionally bought more than one unit of other currencies around the world, with the exception of some oil states, has been a source of pride.

Really? One must have a very unsatisfactory existence to feel proud of such a trivial occurrence. If one needs currency strength to feel a sense of pride I can’t imagine how little they have achieved. Another trait of patriotism, empty beings.

• Sad 1

What's presently being discussed is just the monetary affect on Sterling abroad. Note also Boris's buddy not supporting the UK in the recent Iran shipping affair. Sign of things to come? Up next the problems of living in and travelling to the favourite living and tourist destinations of the Brits. Dust off your passports and those of your pets and wait for the queues at the ports and the more bollicky Boris gets the more finicky the EU member states will get with regard to foreign tourists. As an outsider I cant see any logical reason to walk away from the largest market in the world in favor of the corner shop. 
And we ant even got the keys for the corner shop yet and we can't Even simply Trade on WTO rules

But hay at least all those pesky foreigners will be gone won't they. Oh no they won't will they I just remembered they ant going anywhere well I suppose they might go when the country is such a mess they won't want to stay shame I won't be able to go with them.