U.S. formally withdraws from 1987 nuclear pact with Russia

snoop1130

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

Europe does not need the US to protect it. If anything, they need protection FROM the US.

The idea that some evil empire would attack Europe makes for good movies, but that’s about it.

I think it fair to say that the US is the primary cause of most of the world’s problems and virtually all the world’s wars.

I doubt European governments share your nonsense views.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

I doubt that. What does Russia gain by reneging on the agreement at this point?

As I understand it, they (Russia) have maintained strict compliance.

How do you mean "at this point"? The claim is that they've already breached the agreement, and got themselves an advantage on this front. I've no idea where or how you understood that Russia maintained strict compliance. The OP itself casts doubts on it, and there was quite a lot of detail regarding claims raised.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Morch said:
15 minutes ago, Morch said:
21 minutes ago, Morch said:

NATO seems to agree with the assessments - even if they don't like the outcome and the implications. You may want to check previous topics discussing this, as there were several informative articles linked on the issues (some very detailed).

How do you mean "at this point"? The claim is that they've already breached the agreement, and got themselves an advantage on this front. I've no idea where or how you understood that Russia maintained strict compliance. The OP itself casts doubts on it, and there was quite a lot of detail regarding claims raised.

18 minutes ago, Morch said:

Europe and NATO need to reconcile themselves with the new America. The America that is isolationist, that is not going to spend billions of dollars and sacrifice our soldiers for foreign interests. The America that pares its fingernails. 

• Haha 1

I find your comment quite insulting and you should be ashamed of yourself to link our ancestry (through evolution) with a person like that which would tear up any contract or agreement when it suits him. The credibility of the US has been thrown out the window as how could you trust them anymore because under this baboon (sorry monkeys) no contract or agreement is any guarantee of being honored by the US. 

I am willing to bet the people squeaking about the credibility of the US now, have always felt the US had no credibility.

To be clear, pulling out of an agreement that is not being adhered to is the credible thing to do.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, OtinPattaya said:

I'd say that 90% of this forum is about Brits and Euros s-canning Americans with impunity. And as an American, I am getting pretty damn sick of it.

Just say you are from canada. At least then you may get a bit of respect.

1 hour ago, OtinPattaya said:

As is ALWAYS the case, America has to do what it does, despite negative ramifications, because what is the UK or Europe going to do? Nothing. 

54 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Only the ones that take advantage of the United States of America.  Get it right.

War is a profitable business and companies have no nationalities. 

the United States want to rapidly deploy new mid-range conventional weapons in Asia now that they are no longer bound by the Nuclear Pact

Edited by Opl

Europe and NATO need to reconcile themselves with the new America. The America that is isolationist, that is not going to spend billions of dollars and sacrifice our soldiers for foreign interests. The America that pares its fingernails. 

Europe, NATO and the rest of the world need to pinch their noses and wait for the abomination in the WH to be relegated to the stinkiest part of history's scrap heap.

Once that glorious moment arrives the current isolationist trend will be dialled back considerably/totally reversed.

"The America that pares its fingernails"?? What's that supposed to mean? Are you claiming that the US has gotten more feminine during Trump's "presidency"?

I'd say that 90% of this forum is about Brits and Euros s-canning Americans with impunity. And as an American, I am getting pretty damn sick of it.

This is a forum dedicated to Thailand so I'd say that 90% of this forum is about Thailand.

And as an expat living in Thailand I'm pretty damn OK with that.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 6:36 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

And thereby opens the door to Russia developing new  weapons hitherto banned under the agreement 

That door had already been opened by Russia, that is why POTUS is abandoning the agreement.

Too bad, I really hate to see America spending more money to protect EU from Russia. Long range missiles and submarine launched are all America needs, intermediate range is strictly to protect the EU.

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

That door had already been opened by Russia, that is why POTUS is abandoning the agreement.

Too bad, I really hate to see America spending more money to protect EU from Russia. Long range missiles and submarine launched are all America needs, intermediate range is strictly to protect the EU.

the US president Donald Trump has openly shown its rejection to the possibility of Europe managing its own security policy outside of NATO and the US supervision."

"however the Fund will strengthen the EU's strategic autonomy and technological leadership in defense,”