NO, NO, NO Thai customer service.

Billpro785

26 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

I have literally reached a point in Thailand where I can no longer ask shop staff if they have something

I agree - I have stopped asking, much better for me to determine whether they have what I need or not by looking myself. Had all kinds of problems at Mr DIY when trying to buy a drill bit for drilling into metal when I had to fit new hinges to our bathroom door.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

It is not just in shops or tourist areas.Recently had a short break at Mon Bridge.Went into clean modern looking restaurant at about 7pm.My Thai partner ordered for both of us(different meals).She received hers,20 mins later,I had still not received mine.

We could not see the person who took our order so she asked another person(In Thai)where was my meal.

She went away and came back a few mins later "no hab".No apology,explanation.When we left to pay the bill,I expected some form of apology,or discount,nothing!

If that had happened in the western world,I would probably had the manager apologising and some form of explanation(new staff,busy etc)and even an offer of some form of discount as a service recovery. 

Off topic but....

I'm heading to Pilok next week for a look and was thinking about going up to Mon Bridge for a look, would you say it's worth seeing or not?

Thanks.

Well worth it,accommodation is a bit expensive by Thai standards and the breakfasts do not cater for non Thais.You have to get up about 5.30am for the monk alms ceremony .The scenery is breathtaking,especially at sunset.It is 98% Thai people very few farangs.

Dont bother with the river trip to see the "sunken" temple.There are two nice temples on the Mon side of the bridge.Easy to drive to.

The evening market on the Thai side(about 1km from the bridge)is about 90% food and is very good and cheap.

Be aware, the only 7/11 by the market does not sell alcohol because it is near a school but they will tell you where the hole in the wall shops do sell it.

If you are thinking about a side trip to the Three Pagoda pass,dont bother,its three, metre or so concrete pagodas with some tatty market stalls selling tat and fake whiskey.from Myanmar

Edited by CeeGee

Well worth it,accommodation is a bit expensive by Thai standards and the breakfasts do not cater for non Thais.You have to get up about 5.30am for the monk alms ceremony .The scenery is breathtaking,especially at sunset.It is 98% Thai people very few farangs.
Dont bother with the river trip to see the "sunken" temple.There are two nice temples on the Mon side of the bridge.Easy to drive to.
The evening market on the Thai side(about 1km from the bridge)is about 90% food and is very good and cheap.
Be aware, the only 7/11 by the market does not sell alcohol because it is near a school but they will tell you where the hole in the wall shops do sell it.
If you are thinking about a side trip to the Three Pagoda pass,dont bother,its three, metre or so concrete pagodas with some tatty market stalls selling tat and fake whiskey.from Myanmar

Excellent, thanks for that.

Did you go to Pilok?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Thai Hardware store.

First surrounded by 10 people

Do you have a screwdriver? "No hab, here is a hammer".

No thanks, so When are you getting more screwdrivers? "Two week"

Next day dozens on display.

Have you not heard of Home Pro?  

• Like 1

Had my glasses fixed for the 4th time free (I'm rough on glasses) in 2 years nothing but smiles.

Nice ladies they give me orange juice while I wait and ask me if I have a wife.  Thai service.  Never in America or Canada has any girl glasses tech in a short skirt asked me if I had a wife and winked at me.  You guys can have the service in the West.  I'll take Thailand.

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Excellent, thanks for that.

Did you go to Pilok?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No we had a four day trip from Pattaya,Kanchanaburi,Mon Village and ending up seeing family in Nakhon Sawan.That was enough driving for me.The drive from Kanchaburi to Mon through the mountains was spectacular,apart from the Thai drivers who have no idea how to drive in those conditions,saw about six four by fours who had failed to take the bends at the correct speed.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CeeGee said:

It is not just in shops or tourist areas.Recently had a short break at Mon Bridge.Went into clean modern looking restaurant at about 7pm.My Thai partner ordered for both of us(different meals).She received hers,20 mins later,I had still not received mine.

We could not see the person who took our order so she asked another person(In Thai)where was my meal.

She went away and came back a few mins later "no hab".No apology,explanation.When we left to pay the bill,I expected some form of apology,or discount,nothing!

If that had happened in the western world,I would probably had the manager apologising and some form of explanation(new staff,busy etc)and even an offer of some form of discount as a service recovery. 

i have a old mate a decade plus in thailand and we went for and english breakfast one morning, His treat.

he was not at all rich and it meant a lot to treat me breakfast that day.

we were in a small side soi in the outskirts of KSR  when we ordered. The staff asked what drink I wanted, I say no drink please as free ice water was available and my friend ordered coffee.

ten minutes later  his food came but not mine, I waited, 5-10 minutes and nothing, the food never came....

My friends exact words were " I just wanna go somewhere people are civilised".

and he was right.

Edited by Pattayabeerbacon
  • Like 1

I also think it has to do with the Farang.

My south african friend, Hard as nails, couldn't get served anywhere he went because his attitude and tone was to harsh. 

all he got was "No hab , no hab" 

There is alot of artificial smiles and friendliness in thailand, The thai world is superficial, even if miserable they are supposed to act happy and smiley.

When im down i will sit at a bar looking miserable and some tart often will come and stir the  pot , "Hey mister why you not smile?",

Edited by Pattayabeerbacon

the biggest problem I have is the fact they refuse to answer any emails done in english, several businesses have lost our custom due to being ignorant, this applies to big companies as well

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:08 PM, Tayaout said:

From experience it means they don't understand. Instead of saying they don't understand they say don't have or no. For example I went to buy 1 whole chicken from some vendor that sell only chicken. I ask Khai noung and he said don't have. I point the chicken and he give me 1/2 chicken... 

Perhaps, based on your experience, you should improve your Thai language skills.

21 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Thai Hardware store.

First surrounded by 10 people

Do you have a screwdriver? "No hab, here is a hammer".

No thanks, so When are you getting more screwdrivers? "Two week"

Next day dozens on display.

"Do you have a screwdriver? "No hab, here is a hammer".

Whenever someone takes the piss out of Thais by posting something such as "no hab" as a quoted response you can bet the rest of the story is exaggerated also or a fairy tale.

Or the equivalent,  "mai mee", followed by offering another distantly related object. This story was not intended to be factual I think its funny for shopkeepers to offer something different instead but they can't just seem to say no directly. Happened many times.

Recently I wanted a USB-type C adapter for my chromebook.  Must have went to 6 shops in Chiangmai all proffered other adapter standards in exchange AS IF that would be of use.

If you think Thai people don't say "no hab", mai mee, or "up to you" you don't really live in Thailand. 

Edited by Date Masamune
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2019 at 6:38 PM, marcusarelus said:

Had my glasses fixed for the 4th time free (I'm rough on glasses) in 2 years nothing but smiles.

Nice ladies they give me orange juice while I wait and ask me if I have a wife.  Thai service.  Never in America or Canada has any girl glasses tech in a short skirt asked me if I had a wife and winked at me.  You guys can have the service in the West.  I'll take Thailand.

Lol that's charming, or a little too charming!

• Haha 1

Yes it is the OP in that little has changed.

However customer service in Thailand is quite appalling.

It is often confused with other aspects of a product.... e.g. it's price.

Thailand pays such low wages that it is still possible to get people to work for a pittance - e.g. in the tourist or service industries or in garages where labour costs are barely visible.

How ver the something goes awry, that is when you realise the short comings of customer service in Thailand - they just can't come up with the goods.

The first few phrases you hear are 

"no have " or "cannot".

This actually means they just don't WANT to be bothered.....if pushed the situation often just degenerates and customers get more and more angry.........in Thailand there is no concept of fair trade, anything is balanced I favour of the vendor and caveat emptor rules. It IS changing slowly - very slowly  - as Thai incomes increase and businesses realise they have to adopt modern business practices if they are ever to stay in business.

It isn't however a brick wall..... no matter how much the business or vendor like to protest - I find I get a solution 9 times out of ten.

• 1 month later...
From experience it means they don't understand. Instead of saying they don't understand they say don't have or no. For example I went to buy 1 whole chicken from some vendor that sell only chicken. I ask Khai noung and he said don't have. I point the chicken and he give me 1/2 chicken... 
Totally understandable, as you asked for an egg and didn't use a classifier. . .

Sent from my SM-T385 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1