Australian man arrested for stalking compatriot - more Thais fined for not reporting foreigners at their addresses

rooster59

19 hours ago, drbeach said:

Indeed. The immigrant route is a possibility, though not easy to get, not impossible either. High net worth individuals and those with connections who have exceeded the basic criteria needed to apply can apply for citizenship (a much better choice than permanent residency).

However, most of the expats here I've spoken to have expressed reluctance to apply for citizenship, for some bizarre reason. I see no reason not to go for it, if you're eligible and choose to stay here long-term given Thailand allows (or at least tolerates) dual citizenship. For me it's a non-brainer.

No, they block it espescially for HNWI.

It's not possible to get citizenship without working a crap thai job for 3 years at least, there's no investment route to citizenship here like most other countries have a la USA,UK and Co.

I would have to give up my elite visa and work a shitty job for 3 years with no guarantee to ever get citizenship - whats the point? Same for Investment visa people, Smart Visa owners, Retirees and co - we have absolutely no chance to apply, no matter how much money we have, even tho we might pay more taxes than someone working here.

Edited by ThomasThBKK
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Most of us have strong feelings about the TM30, but are aware the Thai authorities don't give a stuff about foreigners thoughts.

However, all this fining of Thais for not reporting guests might just cause a revolt against the idiocy.

Exactly what I was thinking. It is turning into quite a cash cow for Immigration, and I wonder how long it will be before we see an enraged netizen headline about it.

Thirty two off topic posts and replies have been removed. Stay on topic:

Australian man arrested for stalking compatriot - more Thais fined for not reporting foreigners at their addresses

• Like 1

I know this bloke as well.
He hails from Wheelabarraback but he's actually a Kiwi who's name is Trev........bro!
He had been previously kicked out of Dragabagalong for stealing lady's underwear from their clotheslines.