Renewal of British Passport when living in Thailand

4 hours ago, transam said:

I believe when I went to Trendy they cut the PP corner off at the time of application, not when the new one was issued..

No, if they did that , that would mean that you would be in Thailand illegally , because you have no valid PP

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

The letter that the Trendy issues you is blank, you have to fill in the details yourself.  But to prove that it is genuine  (and not downloaded) it is lightly embossed with the Embassy seal.

And the old passport does not have its corner cut off until you receive AND

check the new passport.   You are advised not to use the old passport for international travel while waiting for the new one. But not sure what the procedure is if you need to make an emergency trip.

And the whole process takes less than 2 weeks (in my case, and reported by others)

take me three weeks to get new passport,....so quite good but would allow 4 to 5 wks to be on safe side

5 hours ago, NE1 said:

How much does that cost ? Which British Embassy , Bangkok ?  That is one hell of a trip and more expense for people who live up North and down South .

cost me 121.58 p......and the Embassy DOES NOT ISSUE NEW PASSPORTS....Trendy House soi 13 K BKK issue all passports, trendy is an annex of the Brit Embassay...

5 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

No, you keep your passport during the application. Once you have your new passport, you cut the corners yourself.

Please note that you have to get a letter from the British embassy to state that your new passport is genuine to enable you to transfer the stamps from old to new passport. Thai immigration won't do it without this letter.

When you pick up your new passport they give you the letter now. No need to go to the embassy. Depending on your visa if it’s a one year then you transfer. If multiple entry you do it at the border. 

15 minutes ago, essox essox said:

cost me 121.58 p......and the Embassy DOES NOT ISSUE NEW PASSPORTS....Trendy House soi 13 K BKK issue all passports, trendy is an annex of the Brit Embassay...

More if you want a big passport. Right what is the correct format. Down load their new passport page and fill out. You apply for a new passport from trendy giving 2 dates and times. They will contact you to agree said time and date. (Normally a morning time). Your old passport is NOT valid for international travel (they tell you this at trendy) When new one arrives you go again to pick up. That's when they cut the corner off. They give you a slip of paper to give to the local IO and they change the visa's over. That's free.

But if you live in Udon, would suggest you get an agent to do as it'll work out less than half price of doing it yourself. And a lot less aggro. But you will still need to have the form filled out.

Regards IO and new visa stamps would get that done ASAP. Should take them around 15 min:

Edited by fredob43

8 minutes ago, need to escape said:

When you pick up your new passport they give you the letter now. No need to go to the embassy. Depending on your visa if it’s a one year then you transfer. If multiple entry you do it at the border. 

If you have a 'visa' you use both passports until the visa expires, even if the PP has been cut the visa stays valid until enter by/use by date, they just note the details of it in your new PP the first time you leave/re-enter. 

If an extension of stay then those rubber stamps are transferred to your new PP.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, essox essox said:

I was referring to the letter , not the passport .

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

Neither the Embassy nor The Trendy issue any new UK passports.  All UK passports are issued by HMPO in Liverpool, England.  Those for people who applied in Thailand are sent by DHL from Liverpool to The Trendy for collection. 

The Trendy is the name of the office building in soi 13.  Many businesses are located there, and it's also a condo.  VFS operate from there, and they have been contracted by UKVI and HMPO to adminster visa and passport applications from Thailand.  They play no part in the decision making process.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Neither the Embassy nor The Trendy issue any new UK passports.  All UK passports are issued by HMPO in Liverpool, England.  Those for people who applied in Thailand are sent by DHL from Liverpool to The Trendy for collection. 

Trendy's job is to see that all the paperwork is in order then they send it off...

PS. Don't forget to copy EVERY page in your PP....

Key services does all that for you included in their fee...????

• Like 2

Trendy's job is to see that all the paperwork is in order then they send it off...

PS. Don't forget to copy EVERY page in your PP....
Key services does all that for you included in their fee...[emoji4]
ThaiVisa Express (in Pattaya) offer this service as well [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

No, you keep your passport during the application. Once you have your new passport, you cut the corners yourself.

Please note that you have to get a letter from the British embassy to state that your new passport is genuine to enable you to transfer the stamps from old to new passport. Thai immigration won't do it without this letter.

They the Passport Office BKK, cut the corners off when you collect the new one.....making the old passport non void.

• Haha 1

Trendy buildings give you the letter for transferring the stamps, I had my stamps transferred at Suvarnabhumi airport when I left the country, they never asked me for the letter, just gave them the old passport and new passport.

No money asked for and not an issue.

Trendy buildings give you the letter for transferring the stamps, I had my stamps transferred at Suvarnabhumi airport when I left the country, they never asked me for the letter, just gave them the old passport and new passport.
No money asked for and not an issue.
Which stamps? I didn't know passport control officers at the airport could do this. If they can, why do people go to Immigration?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app