Links To Photos Of Chiang Mai Haze

egeefay

I've been reading a lot about the haze and smoke in the North but have been only able to find a few photos showing how bad it was up there.

Does anyone have any good links to photos showing how bad the air was

What haze and smoke? What bad air? ... Oh, are you talking about those few extra dust particles that got reported in the desperate news seeking world press?

What haze and smoke? What bad air? ... Oh, are you talking about those few extra dust particles that got reported in the desperate news seeking world press?

Huh? :o

Merely responding to a seeker of sensational photos for undisclosed reasons.

I've been reading a lot about the haze and smoke in the North but have been only able to find a few photos showing how bad it was up there.

Sounds like you are saying that all the news about Chiang Mai being declared a disaster area, spraying the downtown area with water, and all the posters on this forum who say they are heading out of town is all untrue.

That's why I was looking for photos.

I read a lot of what is going on but haven't found too many photos to substantiate the thick smoke that everyone is talking about

Do a search on YouTube for Tsunami and you get lots of results. Do a search for Chiang Mai Smoke and you get nothing.

Until I see photos, I'm assuming that you are correct. It's just a media event with no truth to it.

Edited by egeefay

I'm assuming that you are correct. It's just a media event with no truth to it.

I live in Chiangmai and trust me, it's not just a media event but real. Planes diverted to alternate airports because they can't safely see the runway, lot's of people wearing face masks, people in physical distress, etc. If you put this > "chiangmai haze photos" into google you will find plenty of hits and photos. For several days I couldn't see the mountains, actually couldn't see more then a few hundred meters and no sky - just brown everywhere. I've lived here for 14 years and don't recall ever seeing it this bad.

Ok. I did a search and did come up with one site

http://76916.homepagemodules.de/t82f31-CHI...kt-im-Smog.html

But I wasn't impressed.

I've heard people complaining they can't see beyond 100 meters.

None of these photos appear to be that bad.

The impression I've been getting that it's like a thick fog.

If you've ever been in a thick fog, Chiang Mai is "clear" comparison

I notice that the "Nation" is soliciting citizen "reporters" to send in their photos.

Maybe they'll get some photos that substantiate the disaster claims.

Here's the Nation's plea for photos.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/03/15...es_30029193.php

Sounds like they were not able to take any sensational photos worth printing and are looking for readers to submit photos.

From the replies the Nation is getting sandblasted for being too cheap to send a reporter up there to take some stills.

Other than that...people complaining about the haze but no photos.

Perhaps they will get some from readers. I'll keep my eye out on the Nation to see if they publish anything

Funny how a unprecidented "national disaster" can be so "unphotographed"

All I can say is that the moat/ Thapae Gate area looked and felt like normal and if one looked up at Doi Su Thep it seemed to be surrounded by fog which it often is in the wintertime anyway.

I wouldn't have known anything was unusual if it weren't for the pictures on TV that looked nothing like anywhere that I saw around here - maybe it was really LA?

Doesn't do any harm to see photographic evidence for sure.

However the real evidence is in the data published daily by the Pollution Control Dept, which has shown that for 15 straight days Chiang Mai's air has contained above-safe-maximum levels of the most lethal pollutants, the <PM10s.

There is also the record numbers of reports of respiratory illness in CM hospitals.

And there are the foreign govts advising their citizens to stay away from northern Thailand.

And there are the many people who have fled the city, some for good.

I am presently sitting in a motel room in Krabi; my lovely cottage on the rural outskirts of Chiang Mai is empty. I can't go back there because my gf and I were so sick from breathing when we were there.

I'm now looking around for somewhere to live down south. I'll return to CM to pack and move out. This isn't what I wanted or planned to do. I love CM, but it ain't a safe place to live IMO, and I believe the data backs that up.

Attached are two photos we took as we fled Thursday morning - one at the airport on the ground, and the other from the plane.

post-43275-1174187997_thumb.jpg

post-43275-1174188018_thumb.jpg

All I can say is that the moat/ Thapae Gate area looked and felt like normal and if one looked up at Doi Su Thep it seemed to be surrounded by fog which it often is in the wintertime anyway.

I wouldn't have known anything was unusual if it weren't for the pictures on TV that looked nothing like anywhere that I saw around here - maybe it was really LA?

maybe time to get outside and have a look and not sit inside reading books huh?

I've lived in LA and also Shenyang in nothern China and the air in those two places can be bad - Shenyang can make LA look like a tropical paradise by comparison. But have to say the air quality here in CM for the past two weeks has been as bad as anywhere I have ever seen. It's kind of a shame there are no truly representative pictures to demonstrate how bad the air quality is but let there be no doubt, it is appalling.

I ride my bicycle to the gym everyday and swim for half an hour - outside! :o

I ride my bicycle to the gym everyday and swim for half an hour - outside! :o

Ulysses. You will never catch me accusing you of being bright. Normal UG sillyness :-)

Anyway here is a CNN report a few days back about the pollution in CM. In case you missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2ItqhikXxY

The start of it all, March 3, 2007 near Mae Chaem

Chom%20Tong%20Update%20016.jpg

Dave,

In the photo it appears you are just lifting your right leg up to the peg, after a drag race burnout start. It is also apparent you have set the surrounding shrubbery on fire with this reckless display of motorcycle hooliganism. So we have you to blame for this unholy catastrophe....

Regards,

Your Brother In Sin,

Mark