Homemade bombs found near 7-Eleven shop in Nonthaburi

webfact

Homemade bombs found near 7-Eleven shop in Nonthaburi

By THE NATION

800_fea5429321bf10b.jpg?v=1564921949

File photo

Two homemade bombs were found in Pak Kret, northwest of Bangkok, on Sunday but police are linking them to vocational students.

The two "ping-pong" bombs were found at around 2pm in front of a 7-Eleven shop on Tiwanon Road in Nonthaburi province.

Police said they thought that the homemade bombs were made by vocational students for use against their rivals.

Quoting a food vendor, Pak Kret police said the bombs were possibly brought to the scene and hidden by a group of five teenage men who reportedly went to the convenience store on three motorcycles.

The food vendor said two groups were involved in a chase on motorcycles. A loud bang was heard and a used ping pong bomb was later found in the area.

Full story: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374194

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-05

Mustnt be drawn to conclude that this is some extortion racket against 7-Eleven. Everywhere in Thailand is near a 7-eleven shop.

And incidentally - the subject of another article perhaps - Tesco Lotus are building a thousand more stores, destroying traditional Thai Street cuisine with their convenience foods (if you can call it "food").

What exactly is a "ping pong" bomb? Is it a ping pong ball filled with gunpowder? Does it have items added such as BB's to create projectiles upon exploding? Is it an impact device to initiate the explosion or does it use a fuss that you light? How large is the harmful blast zone around the proximity of the explosion? I have searched Google without success to find answers. I am curious because I have been seeing them in the news for over 10 years. 

13 minutes ago, ddotmark said:

What exactly is a "ping pong" bomb? Is it a ping pong ball filled with gunpowder? Does it have items added such as BB's to create projectiles upon exploding? Is it an impact device to initiate the explosion or does it use a fuss that you light? How large is the harmful blast zone around the proximity of the explosion? I have searched Google without success to find answers. I am curious because I have been seeing them in the news for over 10 years. 

I believe they can be hidden on female persons and when required fired with great accuracy. 

53 minutes ago, ddotmark said:

My search suggests that they are called "ping pong" bombs because they are similar in size to a ping pong ball. Link follows. While the article does not explain what is contained in the bomb, the article does offer an interesting perspective on the history of bombings in Thailand, and some interesting comments on the government itself from the Japan Times POV. A worthwhile read.

3 days ago - Small devices — believed to be so-called “ping pong bombs” around the size of a table tennis ball — exploded at several locations across the ...

1 hour ago, saminoz said:

Frikking insane!  Students using bombs against each other for no other reason than they go to different schols!

Morons is too kind a term.

Few years ago two groups from rival schools were at it not far away from our house. Mrs BB was at a fresh market and saw some of them rushing about. They were lobbing ping pong bombs and had own made pen guns as well as the mandatory selection of machetes, large knives and short swords.

Boys will be boys!

1 hour ago, neeray said:

My search suggests that they are called "ping pong" bombs because they are similar in size to a ping pong ball. Link follows. While the article does not explain what is contained in the bomb, the article does offer an interesting perspective on the history of bombings in Thailand, and some interesting comments on the government itself from the Japan Times POV. A worthwhile read.

3 days ago - Small devices — believed to be so-called “ping pong bombs” around the size of a table tennis ball — exploded at several locations across the ...

Would there be another link to the article in the Japan times? I get a Forbidden message when trying to see the article.

1 hour ago, neeray said:

I tried to read above artical and got a forbidden sign so the government not happy

Could it be meant as some kind of Incendiary device?  is a specific type of bomb that aims to injure and cause damage

The word “bomb” is a blanket descriptor for a device designed to explode with a number of different effects. Generally, bombs injure people through shrapnel, or fragmented pieces of debris hurled through the air at high velocities. An incendiary device is a specific type of bomb, one that aims to injure and cause damage by starting a fire. Incendiary devices are filled with flammable chemicals like propane, thermite, and napalm, and can detonate on impact or with a timed detonator.

“Police said they thought that the homemade bombs were made by vocational students for use against their rivals.” Seriously if so wow that’s some pretty rough competition for that school lol. Probably the same group who planted the last bombs really but sometimes kids do really stupid things so I guess it’s possible. I kind of doubt that kids are actually doing it though.

A post covering a different story has been removed, the full report on that other story HERE

Also removed is a troll post in giant fonts, not funny and not need on here thank you

4 hours ago, MartinKal said:

Mustnt be drawn to conclude that this is some extortion racket against 7-Eleven. Everywhere in Thailand is near a 7-eleven shop.

And incidentally - the subject of another article perhaps - Tesco Lotus are building a thousand more stores, destroying traditional Thai Street cuisine with their convenience foods (if you can call it "food").

Very sugary food stopped eating there. I can tell the street stalls ,

no sugar please in food.

39 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I am afraid we are going to be seeing more of this in the future. The nation is very malcontent, with the lack of leadership, and the constant tyranny of the army. Things must and eventually will change. The army needs to go. 

I never knew that the tech school hooligans were that interested in politics....

I could be wrong obviously but judging by the way the election went and how pissed off a lot of Thai people are about the current government situation I think it probably was one of the under ground anti government groups around here that has struck Thailand before in the 2006 coup I believe or later. I really don’t think a few young students did this but it’s always possible I guess.

Even when talking to some of the Thai people I know especially in the younger generation people here are getting angry because of the status of the current government and I really think they lit a short and slow fuse this time or rather again. If I was in charge of National Security in Thailand right now I’d be at least a little concerned. This is how it starts unfortunately.

Archived