Chances of denied entry at BKK

From late 2017 - March 2019 I was in Thailand on a long extended break from work. i used back to back Tourist visas, each extended and never had a problem getting a tourist visa. I left Thailand in March and returned to the UK for 3 weeks for a wedding, and then fly back to Thailand with the intention of staying only 2 more months. Upon arriving back at BKK (Suvarnahbhumi) my passport was looked at by the immigration officer and I was told this did not look like I was on holiday.

I was questioned for around 10 minutes and they seemed to not believe I was a real tourist. They did not ask to see any proof of funds, but kept asking why I was in Thailand for so long. I was expecting to be rejected entry. I am not sure what happened next but it seemed that by a stroke of luck some kind of disturbance or emergency then seemed to happen with a lot of other immigration officers arriving. After a few minutes myself and the other two people on my flight who waiting to sit down after me were told to all follow a lady who took us to an empty immigration booth and processed our passports with no explanation.

I left Thailand in early June and have been in the UK since. I now plan to return to Thailand for around 10 weeks on a Tourist Visa from London and have a flight booked to Suvarnahbhumi for early September. Which will be 3 months since I left. 

After my previous experience, I thought 3 months out of Thailand would be fine , but after reading the things I have read on Thai Visa today, I am slightly concerned about whether I will given entry. Although I will not have been in Thailand for 3 months, I will still have been in the majority of the time for around 18 months before that. I also lost my passport while in the UK and have had to get a new empty one ( I am not sure if this will look suspicious or not, as I understand that they can see my previous entries on the database anyway). I always enter with around 25000 baht, although It seems from some accounts they still reject people even with this.

Is it likely I will be rejected? and if so is there some way I can minimize the chances of it. 

Any advice or help welcome 

Thanks

Edited by GeraldB22

28 minutes ago, GeraldB22 said:

Is it likely I will be rejected? and if so is there some way I can minimize the chances of it.

Absolute 50-50 call arriving at any Thai airport.

No problem if coming in over a land border, ie. fly into a neighboring country and cross into Thailand at a land border.

There might be a big chance that you are taken in for questioning again. If you fly direct in to Thailand the best you can hope for is luck. Just see to that you have everything they can ask you to provide as return ticket, money and booked hotel as well as some kind of travel plan. However, it´s up to that IO´s and it might not be enough.

Your best choice would be to fly too Mayanmar, Laos or Cambodia and enter Thailand by land border, if you have not done your maximum 2 enterings this year already.
Aviod Poi Pet land border.

They won`t care about the 3 months where you were out. I was out around 2 months myself (similar story to yours) and got grilled---and then passed luckily. My new passport was completely empty, but they printed and listed all my previous visits to Thailand. 

If you can still change your flight, use land borders, even it`s more hassle.

Another option would be to use to small airports, in case you want to save the land border options. For example. Kuala Lumpur -Hat Yai/ Hua Hin with Air Asia. 

If they want to deny you, nothing will help, but it`s always good to bring the work contract with you (if you have one), a proof that you are a house/condo owner in your home country or that you gain income by renting properties out. And the most important thing...if you have some close thai friends/gf whatever...tell them about your plans so that they pick up your phone call, if you run into trouble. Most IO have no interest in discussing with Farangs in English, but they are willing to explain the situation to a native Thai. 

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

There might be a big chance that you are taken in for questioning again. If you fly direct in to Thailand the best you can hope for is luck. Just see to that you have everything they can ask you to provide as return ticket, money and booked hotel as well as some kind of travel plan. However, it´s up to that IO´s and it might not be enough.

Your best choice would be to fly too Mayanmar, Laos or Cambodia and enter Thailand by land border, if you have not done your maximum 2 enterings this year already.

My previous entries into Thailand were:

- late December 2018 (visa run to Laos - my 3rd that year having been in thailand most of 2018) entering and staying until March 2019 when I exited via BKK to London. 

- Late March 2019 I reentrered- Staying until June 2019

Your chances are fairly good (entry from home country after several months away). However, there is a definite chance of a denied entry. As others have implied, if you are not willing to fly to a neighbouring country and enter by land, there is little you can do to improve your chances. Looking clean and well dressed (no need for business attire) will help with some officials.

1 hour ago, GeraldB22 said:

My previous entries into Thailand were:

- late December 2018 (visa run to Laos - my 3rd that year having been in thailand most of 2018) entering and staying until March 2019 when I exited via BKK to London. 

- Late March 2019 I reentrered- Staying until June 2019

Ok, They count per calendar year, so you should be ok to enter by a land border then.

5 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

They won`t care about the 3 months where you were out. I was out around 2 months myself (similar story to yours) and got grilled---and then passed luckily. My new passport was completely empty, but they printed and listed all my previous visits to Thailand. 

If you can still change your flight, use land borders, even it`s more hassle.

Another option would be to use to small airports, in case you want to save the land border options. For example. Kuala Lumpur -Hat Yai/ Hua Hin with Air Asia. 

If they want to deny you, nothing will help, but it`s always good to bring the work contract with you (if you have one), a proof that you are a house/condo owner in your home country or that you gain income by renting properties out. And the most important thing...if you have some close thai friends/gf whatever...tell them about your plans so that they pick up your phone call, if you run into trouble. Most IO have no interest in discussing with Farangs in English, but they are willing to explain the situation to a native Thai. 

Thanks, was there anything in particular you said in your answers that you think helped you pass?

I will take documents such as my ticket for leaving the country (I will be departing to KL in November, from where I will return to the UK a few weeks later)

I did notice last time when queuing for my turn to be questioned that many of the questions did seem around trying to get someone to admit to being there long term for non tourist reasons. The first question they asked the two before me were "Can you speak Thai?" , even though one of the persons replied yes they still continued in English so I thought perhaps that was a red flag for someone not being a tourist.  They also asked about wives, girlfriend, whether any property was owned and if we worked in any way. Seemed like they were looking for any excuse to demonstrate to someone that they are not really on holiday and should have a Visa other than a tourist visa.

I think I was going to be rejected. All I could say was "I am here for a holiday", which he refused to accept. 

Hopefully this time if I provide documents such as travel itinerary, my flight ticket booked for leaving the country and the 20000 baht I might have a stronger case

10 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Two entries per year? You are assuming he will enter under the visa waiver scheme. If he has a valid visa then the two entries limit does not apply.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, TSF said:

Why you coming to Thailand? Do you have a partner/wife here? Do you own things here, like condo/car, have money in a Thai bank. If yes then OK, if not then why bother with the Thai's BS? If you just want a holiday in the tropics, get drunk, get laid, see some exotic sights then go to Cambodia, Vietnam, PIs...why bother with this dump?

I also question this, why put up with all the BS???? Many other places that actually want u there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Two entries per year? You are assuming he will enter under the visa waiver scheme. If he has a valid visa then the two entries limit does not apply.

Yes, I am. Based on that it is exactly what the OP is talking about.

I was ok after 4 years in Thailand I left last July and went back again in may with A new Visa form London.I was only staying a week and had a onwoud ticket she did question me for about 30 seconds but just seemed curious about why I had a visa when she said I am allowed two entries a year, I said i didn't want to take any chances as I was here a long time before. I went to get out my bank statements from my pervious year's to prove I had income then and money in the bank now and she said no problem and she stamped me in without looking at them.I was so happy I forgot to pick up my blutooth headphones.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I also question this, why put up with all the BS???? Many other places that actually want u there.
That's what I thought so this time I went to Thailand for a week then Nepal then Hong Kong, then China and I am now in the Philippines, and have been to Cambodia and Laos recently as well even with the Hassel and Thailand going down Hill it's still better IMO at the moment.That being said I am just hanging about in the Philippines, at the moment waiting to find out when my tenants go and then I am going back to the UK when I get that email I am going to have a party for a week so I was thinking of going back to Thailand but with all The visa hassles I might as well blow my cash here instead.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GeraldB22 said:

I also lost my passport while in the UK and have had to get a new empty one ( I am not sure if this will look suspicious or not, as I understand that they can see my previous entries on the database anyway)

A new passport will help, not hurt you. Both for getting a new tourist visa and for entering the country. That has been my experience. Just because your previous entries are in the computer doesn't mean the IO wants to take the time and go through them - they'll probably just look at your last entry and see that you've been out for 3 months and won't look beyond that. I do highly recommend you get a proper tourist visa and not try to get in exempt though. Overall your chances are good and I wouldn't bother with a land entry - just have cash on you, onward ticket, hotel booking, and avoid DMK and female IOs.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, juice777 said:

That's what I thought so this time I went to Thailand for a week then Nepal then Hong Kong, then China and I am now in the Philippines, and have been to Cambodia and Laos recently as well even with the Hassel and Thailand going down Hill it's still better IMO at the moment.That being said I am just hanging about in the Philippines, at the moment waiting to find out when my tenants go and then I am going back to the UK when I get that email I am going to have a party for a week so I was thinking of going back to Thailand but with all The visa hassles I might as well blow my cash here instead.

Yes, I agree with you. In some regards, Thailand - warts and all - is still a better country to be in than any of the neighboring SEA countries. But the visa/immigration situation is certainly making it less desirable for retirees and expats. As I've said a few times in these threads, most of us are kind of stuck here, we're in relationships, we own things, have invested here, so it's very difficult for us to just up and go. But I no longer recommend Thailand to others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buy the visa from hull immigration before you arrive - this gives you 3 months non-debatable entry you will get instant approval

Prepare 20k baht in your pocket incase asked for proof of cash

Learn some thai, smile and be friendly say you have fallen in love with the country - have a girlfriend - want to learn thai and you love the country

Their training is to look for poor and trouble makers, part of that is looking for people not smiling or in 'holiday mode' because this is a red flag that you are not what you say you are

There is absolutely no reason you cannot enter with tourist visa provided you have bought one before - if you wait for visa on arrival that is a bit iffy because it's like a last minute thing and really just use a 90 day visa before you arrive and you be all good

You can say you plan to do a education visa or open a business and are still doing research on your options - you can explain your girlfriends family plan to do a import export business or something be polite, wear a suit or dress well and be very friendly and open with nothing to hide you will have no problems my friend - manners go a very long way in thai culture

If you have a visa already you will be given entry as it is a legal status - so just buy one in hull its about £25 or so plus a signed envelope very quick and easy

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, I am. Based on that it is exactly what the OP is talking about.

No it's not. The OP said he is arriving  with a single entry tourist visa issued in Britain and has return ticket booked as well. He simply wanted  to know would he be denied at an airport. People responded he could fly to a neighboring country and enter by land border to be on the safe side. There is no twice a year limit if entering at  a land border if you have a valid visa ( he does) There is only twice a calander year limit for visa exempt crossings.

8 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

A new passport will help, not hurt you. Both for getting a new tourist visa and for entering the country. That has been my experience. Just because your previous entries are in the computer doesn't mean the IO wants to take the time and go through them - they'll probably just look at your last entry and see that you've been out for 3 months and won't look beyond that. I do highly recommend you get a proper tourist visa and not try to get in exempt though. Overall your chances are good and I wouldn't bother with a land entry - just have cash on you, onward ticket, hotel booking, and avoid DMK and female IOs.

Yes that is what I will be hoping.  It is my understanding that when they scan the passport upon it being handed to them, they see the previous entry and arrival data of the person regardless of whether the passport is new or not. 

13 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

IF It's That Much of A Dump,Then Why are YOU Still living here ??

He may have come here before all these changes happened, at a time when Thailand was a great country to retire in, then got married, had family, bought house, car, etc, etc.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

The IO at the counter won`t take his/her time for sure. He will call the supervisor or whoever and you have to follow him/her. It`s a 10 sec-task to see how often you have been to Thailand before. And it doesn`t matter, if he gets a proper tourism visa or not in regard to get grilled by a weird IO. Have you ever been in a similar situation? If not it`s just a blabla by giving "maybe suggestions". 

He obviously already has booked his flight, but in his case the extra hassle would be worth. I am doing the same until December, as I won`t go back to Europe before to get my relevant visa. So 2X land border crossings for me to minimize the risk. Am I overcautious? I guess so, but if he gets denied at the airport, he`s on the next flight back to UK and ruined his new passport with the stamp. 

@GeraldB22and as you asked yesterday. The best answer you get give, is that you are visiting your gf (don`t know if you have it here or not) Their profiling is always about illegal work. In my case I told her about passive income and she moved on to my gf and called her. Before she grilled me about detailed questions, she asked my gf afterwards to prove it. How long you know her/what is her job/if its true that we gonna travel every month for a few days etc. She even told her I might be a bad guy and if she knew that I`ve been to Thailand 2 years before I knew her. My gf stayed cool, as she knows all my friends here. So the IO had no reason to deny me, as everything I told her was proven by my gf. 

Your advantage is that you know what might happen and you can be prepared. I didn`t even know this forum here and just stayed cool, as I was terribly tired after the long flight. I didn`t even realize what was going on.

Edited by SpanishExpat

It’s a crap shoot at the moment! I spent a night with 2 other guys recently at Phuket airport, we all had different situations, one (American) had been teaching in Phuket and left to go traveling, when he flew back from Cambodia to gather his belongings and sell his car they denied him entrance, he sat Locked up for 3 days as that was the next flight back to Cambodia, he had loads of funds but they didn’t care. The second was from Australia, he had tried an overland border entry from Laos but got rejected there and told he needed confirmation of his bank account, confirmation of hotel and flight out. He got all that but decided to fly into Phuket because of his bad experience at the land crossing. I was in Immigration at Phuket airport when he came in and he produced all those confirmations plus significant cash but he was rejected. After watching him although I was in the office first I fully expected the IO to start questioning me, but no questions just no entry. I had multiple entry on arrival stamps on my passport but never asked me if I had money or anything. Ages American 30-35 Aussie 50ish me 60. It seemed that they were looking for numbers to appease the higher ups. This was a month ago. Like I say, it’s a crap shoot! Made some new friends but don’t trust immigration!

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

He may have come here before all these changes happened, at a time when Thailand was a great country to retire in, then got married, had family, bought house, car, etc, etc.

Bingo.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2019 at 8:56 AM, SpanishExpat said:

My new passport was completely empty, but they printed and listed all my previous visits to Thailand. 

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but thank you for pointing that out SpanishExpat.

On several occasions where people have said 'get a new passport' - I've said that doesn't work. As soon as your passport details are scanned/entered into the immigration computer, your details are checked and your complete entry and exit history comes up on their screen - no matter what passport you are using.  I believe the system is much like those used in Europe where name, date of birth and place of birth are used to identify you and any other passports you may have used.  In the unlikely event that someone with the same name, date and place of birth comes up but its not you, they can of course revert to the photo.

As an aside, the above does happen. I know a guy that shares name, date of birth and place of birth with me - we even did the same job at one time ????. Very rare though.

Now they've started scanning fingerprints, checks will be even easier in the future.