"Entry denied because you come too often" - what's the deal?

Hi everybody,

With some confusion I'm reading more and more comments and see more and more threads coming up from people that do enter Thailand several times per year on Visa Exemption (= allowed to stay up to 30 days for most countries) mentioning that...

- they got refused to enter and sent back

or

- got any stamps/comments/marks under their stamp that their next entry will most likely be dienied because "you come too often without proper visa"

or

- are questioned in a "private room" and let in "1 last time" being told next time they have to come with a proper visa.

I don't know what exactly the deal is or if I'm just a super lucky guy but in my passport I have over 20 (!) pages with stamps from Suvarnabhumi airport officers showing my "record" of the past 5-6 years: I never ever had or applied for a Visa, I always present my passport at immigration at Suvarnabhumi airport and get a stamp (Visa Exemption) that allows me to stay up to 30 days. I never ever was questioned about my strange looking passport with tons of stamps and even more the huge entry list the computer must show the officer that checks/scans my passport. I come to Thailand by plane 7-9 times every year and stay between 12-20 days per trip. Never longer (maybe one time 2 or 3 years ago I did stay 25 days) because I need to take care of my business in Europe as well and that for can't afford to stay 4+ weeks.

Just wondering if anyone got an idea why I never faced any issues why other members here do have so many problems while having far less stamps/entries than me over the past months/years?

Cheers,

lemonwaterjoe

Edited by lemonwaterjoe
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

It seems to me that they are more interested in people who repeatedly stay for the full 30 or 60 days than those who come and go very often but only spend a week or two here. The latter are more likely to be real tourists and less likely to be working here.

This is what I was thinking but I read over the past weeks that this also happens to people that were out of the country for months when returning.

2 minutes ago, swissie said:

Again, it's at the discretion of the Immi-Officer. Appearing unshaven, unwashed with flip-flops and wearing a T-shirt that says "Long live Thaksin" will not go unnoticed by any Immi-Officer.

Several members that had such issues while (trying to) enter(ing) Thailand confirmed they were smartly dressed. So I don't think that this is the reason in these cases.

There is no pattern it’s pure random. 

Myself and a friend have been coming for years roughly over the same period and both 2-3 weeks at a time. 

2 years ago I was asked at the airport why I visited so often and next time I came I should get a tourist visa which I did and now have a retirement visa.  

My mate two years on is still on visa exempt and a passport full of stamps. 

• Like 1

I have a METV (multiple entry tourist visa) which allows you to visit for up to 90 days at a time providing you have proof that you receive a state pension.

I visit maybe three times a year for 80 odd days each time and then go back home for two or three months.

I'm just waiting for them to put the kibosh on that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lemonwaterjoe said:

This is what I was thinking but I read over the past weeks that this also happens to people that were out of the country for months when returning.

Several members that had such issues while (trying to) enter(ing) Thailand confirmed they were smartly dressed. So I don't think that this is the reason in these cases.

Look at it with the eyes of a computer fitted with an program to sift out the "fake" ones.... aka profiling...

Your travel history fits the profile of a hard working person that comes to Thailand to relax, fitting the assumption to be a genuine tourist, spending his time and money to relax...

As all the new "problems" came after the authority's need to sift out the bad apples from the good ones ( bad apples that abuse and bend the rules that is) the more likely it becomes that even good apples are subject to close examination and even more frequently to be rejected.

Just read the lines ( and between them ) on all different fora and all the different ( same ) complaints...

As google is your friend with searching using keywords, surely governments use the same tools  to find out what makes people happy... 
The price to pay for free social media...

10 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I have a METV (multiple entry tourist visa) which allows you to visit for up to 90 days at a time providing you have proof that you receive a state pension.

I visit maybe three times a year for 80 odd days each time and then go back home for two or three months.

I'm just waiting for them to put the kibosh on that.

There is no such requirement of showing proof of a state pension for an METV. Most people are NOT retired who get it. You usually have to show a letter saying you are employed ( but since you are not, the embassy or consulate in your home country told you proof of pension was ok) and you need to show about the equivalent of $7000 USD and ticket out of Thailand and some accomodation here ( I just have shown a two week hotel reservation that I cancel because my plans change before I arrive). A few other things like a pic and application are required.  Some consulates have different requirements so always check. 

I also think you are NOT getting 90 days upon arrival with an METV. You are getting 60 days but you are extending that entry by 30 days and going to immigration and paying another 1,900 baht for extension. 

So a lot of your information is wrong. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

There is no such requirement of showing proof of a state pension for an METV. Most people are NOT retired who get it. You usually have to show a letter saying you are employed ( but since you are not, the embassy or consulate in your home country told you proof of pension was ok) and you need to show about the equivalent of $7000 USD and ticket out of Thailand and some accomodation here ( I just have shown a two week hotel reservation that I cancel because my plans change before I arrive). A few other things like a pic and application are required.  Some consulates have different requirements so always check. 

I also think you are NOT getting 90 days upon arrival with an METV. You are getting 60 days but you are extending that entry by 30 days and going to immigration and paying another 1,900 baht for extension. 

So a lot of your information is wrong. 

Mine is a non-imm O category multiple entry visa. I'm looking at the entry in my passport this very minute.

The latest entry stamp in my passport is dated 27th Nov 18 and is valid till 24th Feb by which time I have to leave the LOS. Which by my calculation is 90 days or as near as dammit.

It cost me 125 quid from the Thai Embassy in London. It was valid from 21.2.18 to 20.2.19. and without doubt I had to show a letter from the pension people that I receive a state pension.

I've never had to show any funds or evidence of accommodation in the years that I've been using this type of visa. I've never once had to visit immigration nor pay 1900 baht. 

Is that going to change?

2 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

Has anyone on a Non-Imm "O" marriage visa ever had any trouble at the BKK airports? Or is it just the tourist visas and visa-exempt?

I have been questioned once or twice, but (touch wood) have always been let in.

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Mine is a non-imm O category multiple entry visa. I'm looking at the entry in my passport this very minute.

The latest entry stamp in my passport is dated 27th Nov 18 and is valid till 24th Feb by which time I have to leave the LOS. Which by my calculation is 90 days or as near as dammit.

It cost me 125 quid from the Thai Embassy in London. It was valid from 21.2.18 to 20.2.19. and without doubt I had to show a letter from the pension people that I receive a state pension.

I've never had to show any funds or evidence of accommodation in the years that I've been using this type of visa. I've never once had to visit immigration nor pay 1900 baht. 

Is that going to change?

The Non Imm O and METV are completely different animals with completely different requirements. The ability to get a Non O multiple entry with state pension in the UK is a special concession just for UK pensioners. There is nothing equivalent in most countries. There is a chance it could be withdrawn in the future, but we must hope not.

• Like 1

Currently in Buenos Aires and trying to get to the USA.  The whole world controversies on Visa's including our great leader Trump is or does just give me or us something to do or talk about.  I am in the middle of a mess as I feel in love with a beautiful Thai woman.  I would like to take her to the USA on ANY TYPE VISA and there is a lot of history..........but not sure why I am even posting or writing this as I really like the KISS theory or the Visas for Dummies books..........  but obviously there is a lot of time, money and employment going on - who would of thunk it?  Obviously not this 66 year old idiot.   Had a nice expereince at the Uruguay Embassy here but not sure of the results as it is all in Spansih and the Cruise Line just like so many do not want to get involved in Visas then we have all these companies and people making a living off of these crazy to interpret requirements that are subject to subjectivety of the individual and the attitudes or life expereinces on that particular day and moment.........go figure.........why can't we all just get along?   Had a very nice evening last night sharing culture and food and drink with others and then wake up today trying to figure where I can go and how and why is it so <deleted> difficult?  Check out the Facebook Page and the Youtube videos or not, it is a little like the old Peyton Place or Dallas or ..........just getting a bit too old and tired at times........... Steve Wilner and Tarn Lano - but nicknames and Thailand are another story for another day.......

18 hours ago, lemonwaterjoe said:

I come to Thailand by plane 7-9 times every year and stay between 12-20 days per trip. Never longer (

You answered your own question .

You do not live here on tourist visas , you are considered a normal tourist only staying for a few weeks, so no reason to question you . 

The immigration are looking for people working illegally or criminals. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, lemonwaterjoe said:

You can also search for terms like "denied" or "refused" and several topics will come up.

But they have a history of staying in Thailand for months , not 2 weeks at a time.  

It's a big difference.