Baht to maintain strength despite softening yuan: experts

Baht to maintain strength despite softening yuan: experts

By PHUWIT LIMVIPHUWAT
THE NATION

800_ce7a163929541d2.jpg?v=1565011902

Tim Leelahaphan, Standard Chartered Bank economist.

The depreciation of the yuan against the US Dollar will not significantly impact the baht’s strength, but will cause investor sentiment to drop and leading to an outflow of capital from Thailand’s stock market, market experts and economists agree.

On Monday morning, the yuan depreciated by 7 per cent against the US dollar, marking the first time the renminbi has depreciated against the dollar since May 2008.

“The baht has not depreciated after the yuan’s weakening earlier [Monday] as Thailand’s market is still seen by foreign investors as a safe haven,” said Tim Leelahaphan, Standard Chartered Bank’s economist in an interview with The Nation.

The yuan’s depreciation may cause market sentiment in Thailand to drop briefly, leading to an outflow of capital from the Kingdom’s equity market, he said.

The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) reported a Bt2.6 billion outflow of foreign investment when the market closed on Monday.

However, Tim expects Thailand’s bond market to continue performing strongly.

On Monday, Thailand’s bond market saw in inflow of Bt1.46 billion from foreign companies, according to the Thai Bond Market Association (ThaiBMA).

The yuan’s depreciation, Tim said, will reinforce investors’ sentiment that Thailand is a relatively safe market in which to invest, especially after it’s stability and sovereignty ratings have been improved recently by rating agencies.

The baht was valued at Bt30.8 per US dollar on Monday, according to the Bank of Thailand.

Standard Chartered predicts the baht will remain below Bt31 per US dollar in the upcoming weeks, but expects it to depreciate back to around Bt31 baht by the end of the year.

Mana Nimitvanich, first vice president of Krungthai Bank’s Global Business Development and Strategy Group, said in a separate interview that the yuan’s depreciation will cause the market to worry that the trade war will worsen, leading to outflows from Thailand’s stock market.

Meanwhile, the baht has not been significantly impacted by recent events, he said. The country’s bond market is also expected to continue witnessing inflow as Thailand is still seen as a safe haven.

However, if the market is correct in predicting that the yuan’s depreciation will lead to retaliation from President Trump, further escalating the ongoing trade war, the economic fundamentals of Thailand and other countries in the region will be negatively impacted by Trump’s tariffs.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374278

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-06
  • Sad 2

So I guess that kind of confirms that the Chinese really have stashed their cash here in anticipation of problems back at home.

Is the outflow, the same people doing a bit of an exit into different currencies such as Euro/Aus$/GBP.

19 minutes ago, MartiniMan said:

soon they will lose control of their export market to other nations if that has not already happened

already happening and they don't care... when China and USA started their trade feud a smart country would have depreciated their currency to increase their exports, Thailand didn't bother, Vietnam, Taiwan and Malaysia (just to mention a few) did and investment just poured in... yesterday China again depreciated their currency to increase exports but Thailand still saying not to worry, they really must have a big stack of reserves somewhere, no need for fresh money

19 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

already happening and they don't care... when China and USA started their trade feud a smart country would have depreciated their currency to increase their exports, Thailand didn't bother, Vietnam, Taiwan and Malaysia (just to mention a few) did and investment just poured in... yesterday China again depreciated their currency to increase exports but Thailand still saying not to worry, they really must have a big stack of reserves somewhere, no need for fresh money

Leaving aside currency manipulation as you have suggested has the potential to hammer your exports through sanctions - foreign Investment into Malaysia has been dropping for at least the last 4 years in a row, and I wouldn't be investing in Vietnam with China making noises about blocking their access out across waters China are claiming to be theirs. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Will E Vormer said:

What they arent mentioning are the amount of investors pulling out. Billions of baht daily. 

A very precarious situation, if a sudden situation develops = rush to move from baht to a safer currency 

Interesting times

Foreign Direct Investment in Thailand is expected to be 41000.00 THB Million by the end of this quarter, according to Trading Economics global macro models and analysts expectations. Looking forward, we estimate Foreign Direct Investment in Thailand to stand at 36400.00 in 12 months time. In the long-term, the Thailand Foreign Direct Investment is projected to trend around 24000.00 THB Million in 2020, according to our econometric models.

Trading economics

Where do you get your information?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Now go and check the cash surplus - last time I looked only 7 countries on the planet had higher dollar cash reserves - Thailand even has more than Germany !!

Thailand is a VERY rich country that has enough reserves to ride out storms - that's what makes it a safe haven - and once a country gets that reputation it is very hard to shift it (see yen).

The baht will be strong for many many years to come.

How can this be? I seem to recall a year or 2 ago reading that Thailand reserves were at an all time low. Almost depleted. Your comment makes no sense especially since we all know the leaders are wasting reserves to be a top military force complete with subs haha.. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Now go and check the cash surplus - last time I looked only 7 countries on the planet had higher dollar cash reserves - Thailand even has more than Germany !!

Thailand is a VERY rich country that has enough reserves to ride out storms - that's what makes it a safe haven - and once a country gets that reputation it is very hard to shift it (see yen).

The baht will be strong for many many years to come.

200 billion dollars of foreign reserves doesn't make a country rich.

200 billion dollars of reserves allows them to manipulate their currency.

Loads of off books loans and absolutely no transparency

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dancin Dna 11 said:

So I have my saving here in Thai in Baht, Does anyone recommend swapping it for another currency?

Guaranteed 100% of the Brits in the room would kill to be as smart as you with your savings in Thai baht.  I did the same thing 15 years ago and my British friends warned me about Thai banks being untrustworthy - now who is laughing.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Said a hundred times but no one backs it up with facts or links.  Thailand does not manipulate currency or they would be where China is today - at war with Trump.  You guys are the transparent ones Thai hatred but nothing to back it up.  

I would get banned if I posted a bit of reality

There is no transparency in a junta government, so they can publish what they want

Surely even somebody as myopic as you must ask the question as to why they keep so many foreign reserves??!!

Why do you keep posting the same dribble

Edited by thirdleg
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, thirdleg said:

I would get banned if I posted a bit of reality

There is no transparency in a junta government, so they can publish what they want

Surely even somebody as myopic as you must ask the question as to why they keep so many foreign reserves??!!

Why do you keep posting the same dribble

I know if you posted secret stuff they would ban you?  ????You mean that Thailand is not a currency manipulator?  The US government says they are not and China is.  Who do you believe USA of some person at the local pub? 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Inflammatory posts have been removed.

A post containing a graph with no supporting link has been removed. 

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Edited by metisdead

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I know if you posted secret stuff they would ban you?  ????You mean that Thailand is not a currency manipulator?  The US government says they are not and China is.  Who do you believe USA of some person at the local pub? 

USA don't care if they are making it stronger!!! They care about countries making it weaker

On 8/6/2019 at 10:02 AM, Isaan sailor said:

Thailand's economy considered a safe haven?  LMAO!  With a plunging SET, disappearing tourists, new government based on the former government, falling exports...still think it's a safe haven?  Rather, BoT still drunk on hot money inflows--and does not care about the economy.

Maybe you should send your erudite analysis to the Forex Traders and Investors who are backing the Thai Baht.

They'll no doubt give your opinion due consideration against theirs!

On 8/6/2019 at 8:11 PM, Dancin Dna 11 said:

So I have my saving here in Thai in Baht, Does anyone recommend swapping it for another currency?

No. Unless you have a specific reason too; have very large amounts of money and want to hedge against unfavorable future moves in exchange rates; are an experienced forex trader; or simply like a gamble.