Govt to offer courses on dairy and rice farming

rooster59

Govt to offer courses on dairy and rice farming

By The Nation

800_a1fd349bad86ddc.jpg

The Education Ministry's Office of the Education Council (ONEC) held a workshop on Friday to brainstorm over guidelines for providing vocational courses in rice-growing and dairy-farming to boost the qualifications and competency of workers as part of the government’s “Smart Farmers” programme under its Quick Win strategies.

Somratchaneekorn Ongerb, assistant to the ONEC secretary-general, told the workshop that her agency will initially focus on boosting skills and standards in the rice-growing and dairy-farming industries.

Two vocational courses for the rice-growing industry – standard rice-farm management and rice-processing industry management – will be formulated, while for dairy farming, three courses will be offered, namely milking machine design and system maintenance, raw-milk collection centre management and standard dairy farm management. The courses aim to support demands in the private sector and ensure they meet Thai standards and general good practices. 

She added that the courses and guidelines should be implemented within the 2019 fiscal year.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374559

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-10

27 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

providing vocational courses in rice-growing and dairy-farming to boost the qualifications and competency of workers as part of the government’s “Smart Farmers” programme under its Quick Win strategies.

Ahhh! Who doesn't love a Quick Win! It's been the national strategy for as long as I can remember!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

How about some rain in Surin you morons as Surin Hospital has declared a red flag as there is no water which means the local rice is dead.

As much as people might moan about these people I'm not sure they are to blame for the lack of rain. Maybe for the mismanagement of water and not being prepared for a drought but not because there's no rain.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

How about some rain in Surin you morons as Surin Hospital has declared a red flag as there is no water which means the local rice is dead.

The minister for the environment is at the temple now making merit and praying for rain in Surin! ????

• Sad 1

- Two vocational courses for the rice-growing industry – standard rice-farm management and rice-processing industry management – will be formulated - 

What is standard rice-farm management ?   Perhaps the farmers should go back to the old ways of watching / listening to the weather and plant when it is the right time not wait for a government weather forecast.    The farmer knows his land - or should do - and knows the type of rice suitable for that land.  Unfortunately as in many other countries the big companies demand a rice suitable to them, although lessons are slowly being learnt in other countries that some of the old rice breeds are more tolerant to today's weather.

Who pays for these courses, are they free ?     Who pays for the teachers, is it from government tax, i.e. from the people or, is it the big companies ?    If not the big companies why not ?

And perhaps I should ask similar questions for what is "standard dairy farm management" ?

Having been in farming since I was 15, now in my 70's and in many different countries the partnership between the farm, the farmer and the big companies no longer seems to exist.