The Final Starter Fix...................

Isaanbiker

Ladies and gents,

Especially on older bikes the wires and cables drop the voltage and if you have a bike where you have to crank it very long, there's a newer and easy solution to it. 

Mike Miller, our member with great knowledge on our "Virago Forum" had spent years to come to the conclusion. Special thanks to him.

ICU's of bigger bikes need constantly 12 volts, not less, or the spark is too weak, or not existent. If the voltage during cranking drops below 10 volts, there's often no spark at the spark plugs. Should anybody have such an issue, connect a voltage Stabilizer to your TCI. Then you'll constantly have 12 volts and your engine will start at the first evolution. 

From Mike Miller: 

Some starters do not engage properly and you can hear nasty sounds when cranking the engine, instead of the engine firing up. It IS a good upgrade, but I wondered WHY the spark was weak on start. So, I hooked up a dual-trace oscilloscope to get a real-time look at the action. What I found was that the juice needed to crank that big piston to top-dead-center for the fire could drop the voltage momentarily to as low as EIGHT VOLTS!
The TCI will not work with less than TEN VOLTS, so, as the piston was getting ready to fire, THE TCI SHUT OFF!
Further, I had noticed that sometimes, as I let off the start button, the bike would then fire. With the info from the trace on the scope, it made perfect sense. Once the voltage came back up, it fired just like kick-starting
Next, I took a small separate battery and used it to juice only the TCI. This kept the voltage to the TCI stable at 12V.

I've taken the info of our Facebook website and you'll see a Yamaha Virago with starter and firing problems. That's gone after connecting the Voltage Stabilizer. 

Here's where you can get one: https://www.ebay.com/i/311627034464?rt=nc&fbclid=IwAR31e2Lsnd4Ys-4ipMuKajea1NNfIKpV70vkfI3fNy6Eff5NUWtdMYNel8g

Should anybody try this fix, please report back. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What does this "stabilizer" actually do?

If the battery and the original regulator is good then they should deliver the voltage and amps you need - without any additional parts.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What does this "stabilizer" actually do?

If the battery and the original regulator is good then they should deliver the voltage and amps you need - without any additional parts.

Please let me try to explain that.

The example shows a Virago with 700 cc that doesn't crank niceley and you might think that there's something wrong with the starter system in general, or a battery problem?

Even when your rectifier, the thing that decides how much juice the battery's getting does a great job, it doesn't help when the TCI doesn't work.

The stabilizer looks very similar to certain rectifiers on the market that are an update for a bike. This " Voltage Stabilizer" basically supplies the full power from the battery to the TCI, the part that controls almost all processes when the engine's running.

This guy was even using highly developed electronic to come to this conclusion, this guy's a genius. 

If there's a voltage drop to only 8 volts at the TCI, while cranking the engine. If the TCI gets less than 8.1...volts, it won't let the coils produce a spark for the spark plugs and the engine doesn't start. 

You give plus directly from the battery to the stabilizer and it gives the full power to the TCI and the bike starts and runs great.

When you're using this stabilizer that in my eyes is not much more than an ordinary relay, you can't do anything wrong. The video isn't a fake one. 

2 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

Bought a jumpstarter, it does do the trick.

I hope you're not talking about your wife being a jump starter. ( I'm seriously kidding)

A jumper cable, starter wire, or whatever you wanna call it, might help to turn the engine around, but if there's no spark it wouldn't run. 

Neither your jump starter trick would work, nor charging the battery, or a new one.

There's no spark in the dark.- Supply your engine management ( TCI) with great food and wine and the bike's good to go. 

Archived