Surin hospital pleads for water as its reserves run out

webfact

Surin hospital pleads for water as its reserves run out

101768.jpg

Water shortages in Thailand’s northeastern province of Surin have reached such a critical level that the provincial hospital has appealed for help from all agencies concerned, while many residents have resorted to buying water from private sources as tap water supply is not meeting the demand.

The Surin provincial hospital has exhausted all its 1.43 million litres of water reserves. The hospital uses between 800,000-1,000,000 litres of water each day, while the current daily supply amounts to just 80,000 litres or just 10 percent of that required.

The Suranaree task force and the provincial rural highway office have been sending water trucks to supply the hospital, but it remains far short of the demand.  Many residents have been providing drinking water to the hospital as well.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/surin-hospital-pleads-for-water-as-its-reserves-run-out/

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I was wondering where do the tankers get their water from?

The reason I ask is related to what happened here in Hua Hin several years ago. We were on the town supply, which was never very good, but one year they took to switching it off every two or three days to conserve the level in the reservoir due to drought. We were having to buy water from the trucks at about 300 Baht a time. I asked my wife to inquire as to where they were getting the water from.........yep, you guessed it..............the local reservoir !!!!

I think maybe your wife got the wrong answer.

it come from the private lake/ pond I think.

Phuket has the water problem now. The hotels buy water from private lake/pond. Many hotel in Phuket now look to buy land with the lake/pond. 

They can not take it from the public reservoir.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Time to invest in desalination plants.  We have had them for years here in Perth as our groundwater and dam supplies are running low. 

Could you explain how desalination plants will help in Surin? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Time to invest in desalination plants.  We have had them for years here in Perth as our groundwater and dam supplies are running low. 

Hmm, yes. However, while Perth is on the coast, Surin and lower Isaan in general is several hundred miles from the Gulf of Thailand. So not so simple as a couple of desalination plants.

What we need up here (I'm next door in Buriram prov.) is better overall water management, which includes digging/dredging deeper reservoirs for catching/collecting more water when it does rain. Also, weaning farmers off of water-intensive crops like rice and mono-culture in general would help but would be almost impossible and would take a real effort on the part of both local and national governments; something Thailand unfortunately lacks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

I think maybe your wife got the wrong answer.

it come from the private lake/ pond I think.

Phuket has the water problem now. The hotels buy water from private lake/pond. Many hotel in Phuket now look to buy land with the lake/pond. 

They can not take it from the public reservoir.

Thank you for your reply, and you could be right, however, in the 25 years I have lived here, if I have learnt only one thing, it is that you can do anything......if the price is right.......

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Thank you for your reply, and you could be right, however, in the 25 years I have lived here, if I have learnt only one thing, it is that you can do anything......if the price is right.......

Reminds me of the time in the 2000’s when China has brownouts on certain days in the cities due to shortage of power. Having dinner with one of the customer , I inquired why his factory always has power while other factories had to invest in generators for brownout days. His friend helpfully provide the answer. His wife worked at the local power company as a high level executive.

• Like 1

Well, there might be some saving potential there, to start with. 

Meanwhile maybe knows-it-all-Prawatch wants to send one of his submarines to Surin to look for water, or send the berthed aircraft carrier from Sattahip for a water reconnaissance mission ........... Wondering how long it takes until they blame that on the Cambodians ..... 

Huay Saneng Reservoir

คณะสงฆ์ร่วมตรวจเยี่ยมและให้กำลังใจ
ทีมขุดเจาะสำรวจน้ำบาดาล เพื่อเพิ่มปริมาณน้ำในอ่างเก็บน้ำห้วยเสนง อาทิพระครูปริยัติกิจธำรง รองเจ้าคณะจังหวัดสุรินทร์ และพระครูศรีสุนทรสรกิจ เจ้าคณะอำเภอลำดวน

#คณะสงฆ์จังหวัดสุรินทร์
#สุรินทร์ขาดแคลนน้ำ...

See More
Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and nature
Image may contain: sky and outdoor
Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting, outdoor and nature
Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and outdoor

สถานการณ์น้ำ ณ อ่างเก็บน้ำห้วยเสนง
และการขุดลอกอ่างในส่วนที่สามารถขุดลอกได้ อยู่ระหว่างดำเนินการครับ ชาวสุรินทร์ต้องติดตามกันอย่างใกล้ชิดต่อไป

#จังหวัดสุรินทร์
#สุรินทร์ขาดแคลนน้ำ...

See More
Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree, outdoor, nature and water
Image may contain: tree, sky, outdoor, nature and water
Image may contain: sky, cloud, ocean, plant, outdoor, nature and water
Image may contain: cloud, sky, outdoor and nature
+10

Edited by khwaibah