Engine problems after valve replacement - CBR 250

dictater

For you gear heads out there. I took my 2011 CBR 250 to the local "big Bike" shop in Kanchanaburi in order to have the valves and valve shims replaced. The bike has over 100k kiloometers on it and besides the normal maintenance costs have never had to have anything fixed. I've been careful to never have local mechanics operate on the engines of any of my bikes since early painful experiences but as the valve replacement seems easy enough I dropped it off to this shop that has been good in other ways.  Not so long story made shorter, picked the bike up everything seemed fine for about 5 minutes until I realized the smoke all around me was coming from the burning oil spitting out my engine, yes they didn't seal the gasket. So when they reluctantly fixed that problem then and there, giving me dirty looks as if it was I who had messed up I was on my way soon to find that now on starting the bike stalls, going dead, coming back to life, but then starts right back up. Also has happened a couple of times during riding under low revs. My guess is that the timing is off, as in they didnt set the bike to TDC when they put in the new valves? Any thoughts? I won't take it back, and of course Honda is out of the question so it I think it's on me to fix it. 

Honda dealers here wont even do the shim check, in addition to that the one in Nakhon Pathom who supposedly did the last one I later found out didn't even do the simple work they billed me for like change the air filter so I doubt they bothered to get into the engine. 

For a place that didn't even put a new gasket on, I'd not reckon to go back.

I'd first check all vacuum hoses, perhaps they forgot one, or two? Look for small cuts as well.

I'd have thought that the timing might not be right, what do the spark plugs look like?

Another issue could be your valves are wrongly adjusted. 

43 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Whoever did that job is responsible for it. If they f%$#ed it up then they have to repair it at their own cost.

Yep, you're right. Unfortunately, are there way too many places where these "mechanics" have absolutely no idea about bikes in general. 

If they're really that bad, I'd not risk an engine damage nobody would finally pay for.

Have you ever met one who told you that he/she made something wrong?

My former mechanic made it happen to destroy my engine when I wanted the carbs tuned.

And after he fixed the engine which took a few months, the bike ran only 80 km and the rear cam fell out. Nothing is impossible.

19 hours ago, dictater said:

My guess is that the timing is off, as in they didnt set the bike to TDC when they put in the new valves? Any thoughts?

Drop your ego, admit that you don't know, and take it to a Honda shop.

Your decisions thus far have ruined your bike. 

Archived