Vietnam SETV recent experiences?

OP, I only know Saigon consulate. Surprised more people don't use it. Small office but often not many people so no huge delays. They are strict but fair. Have all your docs. Apply am and pick up pm next day. They shut strictly for lunch 12-1.00pm. Think they take last app at 11.30am

Enjoy district 1. Great joint.

BTW crab the yellow bus #109 from airport. 20k dong (30baht)

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

The first two replies don't answer his questions - he's asking for recent experience for obtaining a visa there not the requirements. I guess he's asking due to the recent posts and stories about Laos and denials on valid TRs.

I'm not even sure the current situation on Penang or HCM

Edited by Bountyhuntr
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

The first two replies don't answer his questions - he's asking for recent experience for obtaining a visa there not the requirements. I guess he's asking due to the recent posts and stories about Laos and denials on valid TRs.

I'm not even sure the current situation on Penang or HCM

Fair enough comment.  However the OP is making first post. Thinking he does not have many back to back setv and visa exempt.

The OP won't have any trouble obtain setv at Saigon or Hanoi. 

BTW OP, If you need to add something to your paperwork, there is travel agent type place across the road. I used because they wanted to see inward flight to los and my screenshot cell would not cut it. Needed hard copy. Helpful staff there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Easy, simple, get your letter of invitation, and away you go,. Vietnam welcomes tourists, couldn't be easier, 

are you talking for Vietnam or Thailand. .?

cant apply for setv  for Thailand if not in you're own country.

1) Why would he be applying for a visa for Vietnam if he was already there?

2) Just plain wrong.

Sorry Ron.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

BTW crab the yellow bus #109 from airport. 20k dong (30baht)

Good tip, though I've landed in the past on morning flights that get me in around 9.30am or so, which means an SETV application can be put in that same morning - the bus is likely too slow in these circumstances. Previously I used a motorbike taxi outside the airport gates, around $4-5 direct to the embassy, (last did this around 2016).

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

BTW OP, If you need to add something to your paperwork, there is travel agent type place across the road. I used because they wanted to see inward flight to los and my screenshot cell would not cut it. Needed hard copy. Helpful staff there.

They'll also change up other currencies into the USD required for the visa - the embassy themselves directed me across the road to change money. Saigon consulate is strict about ongoing flights, it's a good idea to get a short term simcard before leaving the airport in case any last minute bookings are needed. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if an ATM receipt showing a balance of over 20k is accepted at Ho Chi Minh? Ive heard savannakhet accepts this. (I can show them my ATM card so the numbers match) Or does it need to be an actual bank statement?

Edited by Stanton123

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 4:54 PM, Ron jeremy said:

Easy, simple, get your letter of invitation, and away you go,. Vietnam welcomes tourists, couldn't be easier, 

are you talking for Vietnam or Thailand. .?

cant apply for setv  for Thailand if not in you're own country.

Don't know why this topic is still showing up weeks later, but it is. So, given the questioner is referring to visa in HCMC, I assume for LoS? And since a foreign resident can apply for a Non-O B in HCMC, with minimal documentation - as I do - I should expect a tourist to be no more of an issue.