3BB vs True internet

vogie

1 hour ago, friend of siam said:

get a better speed and a. new internet  android tv box that u connect to your current tv set....or a smart tv...

Need a better internet speed to make the above work (and do have a smart tv)..........but that is my point; I can't get it!

By wimax i meant ANY dongle service. I am not familiar with the current offerings but 10 years ago we had CDMA with CAT. Im certain theres some Wimax or worst case you get yourself an unlimited ais package. 12 MBPS should be enough speed to stream, probably even the 4mbps plan as my VPN router slows down to about 3-5mbps(because routers are slow as <deleted>) and netflix works perfectly at 720p.

I don't think its been suggested yet but why not download (torrents) the things you want to watch...yes it's not "real time" but once you have it there is no stuttering or buffering pause rewind watch again and again...you can do this with a "slow" internet connection or a fast connection doesn't matter just takes a bit longer.

34 minutes ago, johng said:

I don't think its been suggested yet but why not download (torrents) the things you want to watch...yes it's not "real time" but once you have it there is no stuttering or buffering pause rewind watch again and again...you can do this with a "slow" internet connection or a fast connection doesn't matter just takes a bit longer.

torrents also come out in top quality about 3mins after airing is over for almost everything. Past decade ive only had some crappy american reality tv that hasnt come out right away.

Having True, AIS and 3BB, I can say that 3BB has best support and is most flexible, AIS is most reliable, and True fastest but with the by far worst support.

Your mileage may vary. My experience is for center of Bangkok.

Forgot to mention: 3BB and AIS will upgrade you to the higher package automatically when it's offered for the same price (or sometimes upgrade you because you pay bills on time) while True will only do that when you complain and show them they have been overcharging you for months - then they'll just drop the price from that moment on.

On 9/4/2019 at 5:55 PM, johng said:

I do that now John and its the only thing that keeps me sane........but the Rugby World Cup is fast looming AND I do like the docos etc (esp wildlife & nature) on the BBC. 

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:30 AM, xylophone said:

because at the moment my Internet is delivered via a landline which 3BB say can only handle a maximum of 25 Mb per second?

I don't know you have ever told us what your package is, but I assume you have the 30/10 VDSL package from 3BB.

The copper lines in your apartment are probably old as well or the 3BB exchange is very far from where you are, which makes that the 30 Mbps is limited to 25 Mbps. That is local speed, so to Europe you will get even less.

Nobody can offer you 100 Mbps over landline simply because copper cable is not capable to transfer that speed.

The only thing you can hope for is that True has an exchange closer to your location, since they have the 50 Mbps VDSL.

Your landlord will probably not be interested to install fiber lines, and even not sure if 3BB is interested if higher than 3rd or 4th floor, but you can ask if they want to install at your own expense.

Count about 10 - 15000 Baht for that.

Forget about Wimax as that is the worst there is.

You can try LineMobile as they have unlimited 4G packaes at 900 Baht per month. They use the Dtac network so your signal on Dtac should be good. You can then buy a SIM enabled router and use it..

https://th.linemobile.com/en/packages

33 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

I don't know you have ever told us what your package is, but I assume you have the 30/10 VDSL package from 3BB.

The copper lines in your apartment are probably old as well or the 3BB exchange is very far from where you are, which makes that the 30 Mbps is limited to 25 Mbps. That is local speed, so to Europe you will get even less.

Nobody can offer you 100 Mbps over landline simply because copper cable is not capable to transfer that speed.

The only thing you can hope for is that True has an exchange closer to your location, since they have the 50 Mbps VDSL.

Your landlord will probably not be interested to install fiber lines, and even not sure if 3BB is interested if higher than 3rd or 4th floor, but you can ask if they want to install at your own expense.

Count about 10 - 15000 Baht for that.

Forget about Wimax as that is the worst there is.

You can try LineMobile as they have unlimited 4G packaes at 900 Baht per month. They use the Dtac network so your signal on Dtac should be good. You can then buy a SIM enabled router and use it..

https://th.linemobile.com/en/packages

Many thanks Pioneer, not only for this post but for other information that you have given me.

You assumed correctly with the package from 3BB and the copper lines here would be about 10 years old and your suggestion, along with a couple from others, that the speed will be even less is spot on.

I have suggested installing fibre at my own cost and really don't mind paying for it, but for some reason he is adamant about not wanting to install it for me? (I am on the first floor by the way).

Your suggestion re True, because they have a 50 Mb per second VDSL, sounds very interesting and I will see if I can follow this up with them here in Patong, although I will have to say that the folks that man the outlet here are just a little short of useless, but I will try it as I have nothing to lose and everything to gain, I hope!

Your link to linemobile is also interesting, although I'm not quite sure how to decipher the info on the website, because they keep talking about telephone calls and so on, and I don't need any of that. In addition I do have an AIS dongle which takes a Sim card, and am wondering if I could use that or maybe even ask for one that handles a lot more capacity and see what happens?

Thank you very much for your assistance, and thanks to the others who have offered it as well, and you have to realise that you are dealing with a 72-year-old fart who is good on some things computerwise and absolutely useless on others!! 

But keep the suggestions coming, and I'm going to try a couple you have put to me on here. Thanks again.

17 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Your link to linemobile is also interesting, although I'm not quite sure how to decipher the info on the website, because they keep talking about telephone calls and so on

The line mobile is a unlimited data plan at maximum speed of 100 Mbps. cost 999 Baht per month and you can cancel any time.

I have customer using it right now. Forget about the dongle as the connection will not be good enough, but buy a 4G router with SIM slot, preferable one with an external antenna connection. Think you can find them around 4000 Baht

To check your signal buy a 1 day Dtac sim and insert in your phone. so you see how the Dtac signal is at your place

have you thought about simply ordering the fiber and having them pass it through your window or under your door if theres a small gap? All they need is a mini spot for a mini wire to get through inside your house somewhere where people won't walk on it. The guy won't even know.

13 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

have you thought about simply ordering the fiber and having them pass it through your window or under your door if theres a small gap? All they need is a mini spot for a mini wire to get through inside your house somewhere where people won't walk on it. The guy won't even know.

Nice thought bp, but am 60 m up a private driveway, and exposed, so not a goer I'm afraid, but thanks again for your feedback and ideas.

49 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

The line mobile is a unlimited data plan at maximum speed of 100 Mbps. cost 999 Baht per month and you can cancel any time.

I have customer using it right now. Forget about the dongle as the connection will not be good enough, but buy a 4G router with SIM slot, preferable one with an external antenna connection. Think you can find them around 4000 Baht

To check your signal buy a 1 day Dtac sim and insert in your phone. so you see how the Dtac signal is at your place

Brilliant Pioneer, apart from the phone aspect.........I use an old Nokia flip phone!! But could get someone else here to try a Dtac sim in their mobile!!

You could be my saviour and if so I will send you a bottle of my finest red wine!!

3 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

Fiber connections are linked to the MAC address of your modem, but you can use it as a router

The reason I ask is that I have an Australian friend who visits Thailand for a few months at a time, would he be able to use it with the Line offer for 1000baht a month. 

Would it need setting up, none of us are that techie minded. Thanks

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

The reason I ask is that I have an Australian friend who visits Thailand for a few months at a time, would he be able to use it with the Line offer for 1000baht a month. 

Would it need setting up, none of us are that techie minded. Thanks

That router is not a a 4G router with SIM card slot.

You can try but I don't think the USB port supports an internet dongle

Archived