Swindling cabby story goes viral after discovery of "Turbo Switch" under the dash

webfact

Swindling cabby story goes viral after discovery of "Turbo Switch" under the dash

2pm_VI.jpg

Thai caption: Swindling cabby

Every wondered why today's cab journey is much more expensive than yesterday's over the same distance?

A Bangkok couple found out why...and some. 

The couple arrived at Don Muang airport at 1 pm on Tuesday and got a cab to take them home to On Nut (Sukhumvit Soi 77). As usual they requested not to use the expressway.

Everything appeared normal at first as the couple played on their phones until "Khun San" said that around Din Daeng he noticed that the numbers on the meter were blinking strangely. 

It soon emerged that they were being charged for a journey of 25 kilometers - an application check revealed that the journey was just 15 kilometers. The couple refused to pay.

They all went to the police station who said they should go to the Department of Land Transport. On the way there the male driver was very grumpy saying that when they find nothing wrong they will have to pay him 500 baht for his wasted time. 

Three checks at the DLT revealed nothing wrong until a passing engineer delved deeper and found a switch under the dashboard near the steering wheel. Daily News called it a "turbo switch" in their headline.

It was used to rip off passengers by boosting the fare. 

The driver was fined by the DLT. Back at the police station he told the cops he would remove the switch himself. 

The story went viral after appearing on the Facebook page of "Kaew Nutnaree". 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-15

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, webfact said:

The driver was fined by the DLT. Back at the police station he told the cops he would remove the switch himself. 

Would that be the usual 500 THB fine....and as to the switch,i bet he does????

regards worgeordie

The last twice we've arrived at Suvarnabhumi we've experienced the "Turbo switch".

When confronted by my (Thai) wife, there was very little argument from the driver; saying "it must be faulty, I'll only charge you what you normally pay"

I think this is much more common than reported in the press.

43 minutes ago, Thailand Noobie said:

"Back at the police station he told the cops he would remove the switch himself."

Yeah right LOL

Just instal the switch better place...

All meaning there's a 99% chance the switch is still in place and being used regularly. 

Just another sign of how useless the RTP is. 

And folks wonder why it is that when I go to Bangkok for any reason, I use the bus and sky train to get down town from DM.

I wouldn't trust a taxi driver there (or anywhere for that matter) for as far I could threw his taxi!

I even did the public transport route to visit Trendy twice not long after I'd fractured my leg and was still limping with a walking stick!

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

how many more like him , i bet there are quite a few,  when they get chatting, * i know a guy etc* because you can bet its beyond a cabbies knowledge to install this

Yep, there is probably an auto electrician out there earning a few quid from taxi drivers, it will not be a one off....This bloke should lose his license, he knew he was robbing folk, which is theft....

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

how many more like him , i bet there are quite a few,  when they get chatting, * i know a guy etc* because you can bet its beyond a cabbies knowledge to install this

Seems to be rather easy to install...

And they wonder why tourist numbers have dwindled a bit.  The driver will get a 500 baht fine and his identity concealed to save face.  The switch will absolutely stay in place.  And he and 10k others will continue to cheat people and there is no enforcement of existing laws to stop it... but you better file that TM30 on time...  To badly paraphrase Ayn Rand when outright theft is condoned but paperwork violations are treated as felonies you know your civilization is doomed. 

Is there never an end to the way thais try to rip off anybody. Take taxi licence away for life. Crush his taxi. Fine him more than 500 baht and 3 stupid wai's. This is not one of your troll posts you like to block, its from somebody who reads what you post and hates all this corruption every day

Folks here on thaivisa just don't understand Thai culture. The cabby was given a fine for getting caught and besmirching the names of all wallet-returning Thia cabbies. The switch itself is secondary, so he is allowed to remove it himself, someday. 

Archived