Swindling cabby story goes viral after discovery of "Turbo Switch" under the dash

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Three checks at the DLT revealed nothing wrong until a passing engineer delved deeper and found a switch under the dashboard near the steering wheel.

Lol... a passing engineer... damn farangs.

but one does have to wonder about that.... the DLT inspected the vehicle three times, but a farang has a quick look and oh dear, what do we have here? A rather obvious switch it appears... little wonder the cabbie figured they would find nothing wrong, as the DLT are either on the take or completely useless

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver was fined by the DLT. Back at the police station he told the cops he would remove the switch himself

Which is exactly why it continues to happen.... the DLT are toothless.

He was fined instead of being banned form driving a taxi.

He said he would remove it himself... priceless !

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Which is exactly why it continues to happen.... the DLT are toothless.

He was fined instead of being banned form driving a taxi.

He said he would remove it himself... priceless !

And they believed him

A sickness plagues the land. This is not unique to Thailand, but this is a Thailand forum, so here it is. The lower strata of society sees the upper echelons dipping into the sewer of greed, corruption and dishonesty. It validates and encourages like behavior. Unfortunately, the vaccine is in very short supply.

The driver was fined by the DLT. Back at the police station he told the cops he would remove the switch himself. 

I believe he will remove the manual toggle switch....and then replace it with a bluetooth remote switch hidden deep in the dash.  

Last week we took a cab from BKK airport to the Nana area in BKK. We’ve taken similar trips in the past but this trip was nearly Thb 500. We were rushing to an embassy appointment so didn’t think anything of it at the time. On the way back the trip was less than Thb 300. I know there is a small premium you pay for airport taxis, but I suspect that this must have been the same issue.

Not worried about the Thb 200 but hate to be cheated.

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Would that be the usual 500 THB fine....and as to the switch,i bet he does????

regards worgeordie

Always the same paltry fine and never anything more. They should start jailing these dogs for fraud or theft and get the message out there. Then again, it is only when they steal from the "Rich" that don't need the money that they end up with 40 years or more in jail. Rob the ordinary people and it really doesn't matter.

I dislike no that’s too nice ... Hate taking a taxi. In BKK I take the rail, metro in Shmagi subway. Taxi seem to be be an avenue for frustration most contries ... be it stuck in traffic, charged higher fees. 

US is just as bad and painfully more expensive. Took a taxi once from airport to Corporate offices just outside of Dallas for meeting.

Doing work on the way not really watching simple route. Stop and he says ok here you go. No this is not the right place... sure it is. 

Ir was in the same place the prior 17 years and this isn’t it....

anyway i  try to avoid if at all possible...

1 hour ago, jany123 said:

Lol... a passing engineer... damn farangs.

but one does have to wonder about that.... the DLT inspected the vehicle three times, but a farang has a quick look and oh dear, what do we have here? A rather obvious switch it appears... little wonder the cabbie figured they would find nothing wrong, as the DLT are either on the take or completely useless

May I bring up something here.. after many years I still get suprised how people in this country will blame the "instigator" of the issue.. in this case its the passing engineer... many will see its HIS fault that there is an issue...  is it similar to the "brakes fault" that Patong hill heavy buses and trucks crash?

7 hours ago, Thailand Noobie said:

"Back at the police station he told the cops he would remove the switch himself."

Yeah right LOL

Just instal the switch better place...

How cynical and yet how absolutely true. Incredulous.

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And folks wonder why it is that when I go to Bangkok for any reason, I use the bus and sky train to get down town from DM.

I wouldn't trust a taxi driver there (or anywhere for that matter) for as far I could threw his taxi!

I even did the public transport route to visit Trendy twice not long after I'd fractured my leg and was still limping with a walking stick!

Do they really?

I searched for stories on why Moonlover always takes public transport when visiting Bangkok and all it came up was with a bunch of stories about pikeys. No relation, I'm sure.

"Three checks at the DLT revealed nothing wrong until a passing engineer..."

===========

So 3 checks were made and none of them found a switch that looks like something on which you could easily dislocate your patella, yet (and thankfully) a passing engineer dawdles by after taking a squit (my words, not theirs). That poor taxi driver must be in arrears with his monthly payments to the 'Dodgy Taxi Driver Gods' or something, to have been rumbled like that. Fair cop guv'nor.

55 minutes ago, MartiniMan said:

Time for london style black cabs with verified drivers who have the knowledge to get you home - we pay a small premium but know its a real deal black cab and not some degenerate 

Ha, a "small" premium? who are you kidding?

I often wondered why Thais (particularly Taxi drivers) alternately repeatedly pump the gas pedal and then the brake. I thought it was because they are hopeless at driving.

Then one day I was told that some have such a Turbo switch attached to the brake pedal.

If this taxi has it installed then you can bet your fare most other taxi's have it as well. They love to share the secret ways to increase fares, and it's very unlikely the driver installed it himself, so even if he didn't mention it to other taxi's the guy that installed it would. After all he needs to make a living with the great way to increase fares, so of course he will want to spread the word to get more work...naturally.

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And folks wonder why it is that when I go to Bangkok for any reason, I use the bus and sky train to get down town from DM.

I wouldn't trust a taxi driver there (or anywhere for that matter) for as far I could threw his taxi!

I even did the public transport route to visit Trendy twice not long after I'd fractured my leg and was still limping with a walking stick!

Wie Billy for you, welfare guy

Archived