August 16, 20197 yr Aetna (BUPA previously) just upped my premium from 55,000 to 79,000 (I'm 61). I had one claim this year after many years no claim. Has anyone else experienced that? I am on 1m cover, Platnimum IPD only Edited August 16, 20197 yr by BobBKK
August 16, 20197 yr I believe they work with age bands. All insurers raise premiums as you age. Some do it yearly, some do it in 5 year age bands. Likely you jumped an age band hence the big increase. If so, little or no increase for the next few years and then in about 5 years another big increase, and so on. But call them to find out for sure. 79K at age 61 is not an unusual premium, though slightly lower can be found. That said, now would be the time to change insurers if you want to, as that gets harder and harder to do as you age.
August 16, 20197 yr Author 42 minutes ago, Sheryl said: I believe they work with age bands. All insurers raise premiums as you age. Some do it yearly, some do it in 5 year age bands. Likely you jumped an age band hence the big increase. If so, little or no increase for the next few years and then in about 5 years another big increase, and so on. But call them to find out for sure. 79K at age 61 is not an unusual premium, though slightly lower can be found. That said, now would be the time to change insurers if you want to, as that gets harder and harder to do as you age. Thanks! I am considering swapping to LMG as they offer 16m cover and Aetna only 1m for similar premiums.
August 16, 20197 yr Actually, there is no age band. The 5 year bands that is for Life Insurance. Aetna health insurance raises the rates each year you age. Mine has gone up about 10 percent each year and never made a claim. So, expect another increase next year. Edited August 16, 20197 yr by bkk6060
August 16, 20197 yr Author 37 minutes ago, bkk6060 said: Actually, there is no age band. The 5 year bands that is for Life Insurance. Aetna health insurance raises the rates each year you age. Mine has gone up about 10 percent each year and never made a claim. So, expect another increase next year. Sorry I rechecked there are bands with Aetna. Im now in the 61-65 (see attached). I have done the research and for 79,884 I get 1m cover but for 66k with AA/LMG I get 3m cover so Im jumping ship. Edited August 16, 20197 yr by BobBKK
August 16, 20197 yr Author 56 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said: If that is 1m baht cover that is rubbish I know I'm changing to 'April' and for less get 3m cover (66,000).
August 16, 20197 yr I know I'm changing to 'April' and for less get 3m cover (66,000).I looked at April Thailand, the 16m cover is also lower premiums relative to other companies but they go further back for pre existing and exclude
August 16, 20197 yr Author 12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said: 24 minutes ago, BobBKK said: I know I'm changing to 'April' and for less get 3m cover (66,000). I looked at April Thailand, the 16m cover is also lower premiums relative to other companies but they go further back for pre existing and exclude Im off to hospital now to get a 'it's cured' report lol. I think if you have that evidence they dont exclude... but we'll see ????
August 16, 20197 yr Im off to hospital now to get a 'it's cured' report lol. I think if you have that evidence they dont exclude... but we'll see [emoji846] Let us know how you get on with April, I'm still thinking about using them
August 16, 20197 yr 2 hours ago, BobBKK said: Sorry I rechecked there are bands with Aetna. Im now in the 61-65 (see attached). I have done the research and for 79,884 I get 1m cover but for 66k with AA/LMG I get 3m cover so Im jumping ship. Ok, just trying to explain my experience. I believe that band however changes/ increases each year. I have had Aetna 5 years and like I said, an increase each year. Just for info if you change companies several have a 2 year window. In other words they may be more prone to deny a claim with the "pre existing" if you make one in the first 2 years. I know Aetna has this policy. Just check all the fine print and ask a lot of questions. Good luck. And good for you for being responsible and getting insurance. Edited August 16, 20197 yr by bkk6060
August 16, 20197 yr 8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said: 8 hours ago, BobBKK said: I know I'm changing to 'April' and for less get 3m cover (66,000). I looked at April Thailand, the 16m cover is also lower premiums relative to other companies but they go further back for pre existing and exclude Considered April International? That is what I have. Comes under French insurance regs rather than Thai which is a definite plus. Claims processed by same office.
August 16, 20197 yr 6 hours ago, bkk6060 said: Ok, just trying to explain my experience. I believe that band however changes/ increases each year. I have had Aetna 5 years and like I said, an increase each year. Just for info if you change companies several have a 2 year window. In other words they may be more prone to deny a claim with the "pre existing" if you make one in the first 2 years. I know Aetna has this policy. Just check all the fine print and ask a lot of questions. Good luck. And good for you for being responsible and getting insurance. Annual changes with Aetna would be inflationary. The age increases are in 5 year bands.
August 16, 20197 yr Considered April International? That is what I have. Comes under French insurance regs rather than Thai which is a definite plus. Claims processed by same office.i considered both April Thailand and April Intl France. April Thailand is a lot cheaper but obviously some downsides
August 17, 20197 yr Author 15 hours ago, Sheryl said: Considered April International? That is what I have. Comes under French insurance regs rather than Thai which is a definite plus. Claims processed by same office. Yes I have decided to go with April (underwritten, as you know, by Liberty). 3m cover for 20k less. Did you go for 3m or 16m? 16m just seems OTT and quite a bit more expensive.
August 17, 20197 yr Yes I have decided to go with April (underwritten, as you know, by Liberty). 3m cover for 20k less. Did you go for 3m or 16m? 16m just seems OTT and quite a bit more expensive.I have April International not April Thailand. The limit is USD 1 million per year.For policy with limit in Thai baht: 1) check if that limit is per event or per year. If per year definitely go for 16. If per event you could go for 3 though I have seen cases where single hospital bill exceeded that (not many tho). 2) check to see if there are other differences in the 2 policies, usually a policy with a higher limit will also cover more things. In patticular look at cover for outpatient cancer treatment and dialysis.Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
Create an account or sign in to comment