on line banking UK banks

1 hour ago, Essex Reject said:

Gone a bit over my head all of this. I have kept a UK acc all the while I have been over here which I am thankful for as hopefully I'm going back in the not too distant future. I don't use it for any transactions as such just to check if money has come in and out of the account. So will I need all this new gear just to login and check the account?

Yes you will, some banks including First Direct have already implemented this.

Lloyds Bank have been using a similar form of secondary authorisation for years now, but only when setting up a new recipient on line for you to send money to. After setting up a first time transaction on line they give you a code number on your PC/mobile screen, then they phone you and you have to put that code number in using your phone/Skype keypad with that phone call to authorise the transfer.

Assuming you have more than one phone number registered with the bank, when they are going to make the phone call to you all registered numbers come up on the screen and they ask you which number you want them to use.

You only have to do that once at the moment, all transfers go through in the normal way after that.

I should imagine it will be a similar system but you will have to do it every time with all transactions after the 14th Sept.

In the recent message I had from Lloyds about this new system they also said, if you use fingerprint recognition (like you can do to log on to their mobile app) they would recognise and accept that, although that wasn't entirely clear so I guess I'll have to wait to see if the fingerprint option also refers to the second security phase.

Personally, I have three phone numbers registered on my Lloyds account, a SKYPE UK landline number, a GiffGaff UK mobile number and my Thailand mobile number. As I've set up new recipients in the past, in turn I've selected all three phone numbers (just to check) and they all work. The Thai mobile and Skype (which is effectively a virtual number) numbers are both acceptable to the Lloyds system as well as the standard GiffGaff mobile number, at least at the moment. 

14 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Lloyds Bank have been using a similar form of secondary authorisation for years now, but only when setting up a new recipient on line for you to send money to. After setting up a first time transaction on line they give you a code number on your PC/mobile screen, then they phone you and you have to put that code number in using your phone/Skype keypad with that phone call to authorise the transfer.

Assuming you have more than one phone number registered with the bank, when they are going to make the phone call to you all registered numbers come up on the screen and they ask you which number you want them to use.

You only have to do that once at the moment, all transfers go through in the normal way after that.

I should imagine it will be a similar system but you will have to do it every time with all transactions after the 14th Sept.

In the recent message I had from Lloyds about this new system they also said, if you use fingerprint recognition (like you can do to log on to their mobile app) they would recognise and accept that, although that wasn't entirely clear so I guess I'll have to wait to see if the fingerprint option also refers to the second security phase.

Personally, I have three phone numbers registered on my Lloyds account, a SKYPE UK landline number, a GiffGaff UK mobile number and my Thailand mobile number. As I've set up new recipients in the past, in turn I've selected all three phone numbers (just to check) and they all work. The Thai mobile and Skype (which is effectively a virtual number) numbers are both acceptable to the Lloyds system as well as the standard GiffGaff mobile number, at least at the moment. 

Hi  Sumrit
Yes thx for that and have just reread the letter sent from LLoyds (have u rec'd got mine 2 days a  go) but it states if you use your own computer/tablet for Internet Banking, then we will ask you to trust it when you log on for extra security.
States th mobile Banking App which I have not got and
Make sure your telephone numbers up to date and if we do not recognise the computer you are using we will text you passcode to confirm it is really you.
I don't have a mobile or landline but use my wife's number.
we shall all see how  it all pans out but it is getting increasingly much harder to stay here in thailand.
IMHO it will cause a lot of problems but hers hoping not too much for all of us.

Edited by john west
correct last sentence

3 minutes ago, john west said:

Hi  Sumrit
Yes thx for that and have just reread the letter sent from LLoyds (have u rec'd got mine 2 days a  go) but it states if you use your own computer/tablet for Internet Banking, then we will ask you to trust it when you log on for extra security.
States th mobile Banking App which I have not got and
Make sure your telephone numbers up to date and if we do not recognise the computer you are using we will text you passcode to confirm it is really you.
I don't have a mobile or landline but use my wife's number.
we shall all see how  it all pans out but it is getting increasingly much harder to stay here in thailand.
IMHO it will cause a lot of problems but hers hoping too much for all of us.

Yes, I remember reading that bit now. I very rarely use my laptop for banking, it's much quicker and easier to use my mobile so I'll just have to wait and see if they recognise that, and if there's a text message option to send the code. I agree though, it is getting increasingly much harder to stay here in Thailand. IMHO it will cause a lot of problems but here's hoping too much for all of us.  

17 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Yes, I remember reading that bit now. I very rarely use my laptop for banking, it's much quicker and easier to use my mobile so I'll just have to wait and see if they recognise that, and if there's a text message option to send the code. I agree though, it is getting increasingly much harder to stay here in Thailand. IMHO it will cause a lot of problems but here's hoping too much for all of us.  

hI mATE  It appears you do not use your system vi on line computer but just make sure in your personal details that they have your correct mobile/ landline which i don't have but will use my Wife's We will all find out soon enough.
Choke Dee

Edited by john west