Taxi meter manipulation: how to report it?

onlycw

We have been taking the same route (to and from the airport). Last time, the meter was somehow manually manipulated by the driver.

There was plenty of time to count seconds and check the speed/ At slower speeds, the intervals were sometimes shorter. In addition, 

the driver added 100 THB when I was distracted for about half a minute.

Upon arrival, the fare was xxx THB higher than usual. And then the driver played the old "

i have only 200 THB change" game.

Q: Who to report this to? The DLT's Hotline speaks no English...

AoT? Tourist Police?

The meter looked different from the other meters I've seen over the years. Perhaps a homemade device? 

A few years ago i had the world's fastest meter. Wish now i had made a video. The normal 250 baht fare at most was 660 baht then the ass wanted a tip on top of that. I just kept walking. NEVER put your bags in the trunk . Always have ready to leave. The pink taxi's are by far the worst the green are the best.

Have been using taxi for 50 years (when meters were hat racks) and since they came into use have not had more than a handful that may have been fast - and even then it was only about 20% more total fare (which would be a normal tip in most countries).  At the extremely low price and convenience of taxi service in Bangkok can not get that excited about the few bad apples, but would expect to only pay what on meter if felt it was fast.  Normally would provide small change/tip.  It is probably best not to get on the hit list of the few that use such systems.

5 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

A few years ago i had the world's fastest meter. Wish now i had made a video. The normal 250 baht fare at most was 660 baht then the ass wanted a tip on top of that. I just kept walking. NEVER put your bags in the trunk . Always have ready to leave. The pink taxi's are by far the worst the green are the best.

So its the taxi color that identifies the issue not the driver. LOL

Usually you will see the fare change before leaving the general airport area. I had this happen a few years ago and when I got to the destination I told the driver I knew meter was not right and he had 2 choices...either accept the normal fare or I would pay based on meter but would report him. He took the normal fare.

2 hours ago, legend49 said:

So its the taxi color that identifies the issue not the driver. LOL

You get good and bad with every colour. 

In 15 yrs in Bangkok I had very few bad ones - less than 10. Nothing to worry about and not worth any hassle for a few Baht.

9 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Start by contacting the Tourist Police

call centre 1155

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/1155TPB/

that won't work. DLT have an app you can download for free specifically for the purpose of reporting shonky taxis or in the event you get a really good one to give them a wrap. The app has provision within it to take a pic, so you can take a photo of the meter, and the drivers credentials whilst in the cab, and even better yet the driver.  When I was living in BKK i reported several taxis for different reasons and some of them got fined, some lost their license and the 2 that ripped me off were made to refund the rip off amount in person at the nearest DLT to where I was living.  So some things do actually work as intended. I even had one occurrence where my mobile fell out of my pocket and it got left in the taxi unbeknown to me. I contacted DLT, they contacted the driver and he denerd that the phone was left in his taxi. Unfortunately for him, I was able to trace the whereabouts of my phone using GPS, and as DLT gave me the tgaxi drivers phone # so my partner could speak to him, I was able to track his phone too. We went to DLT and showed them the tracking for both phones which were in identical locations. DLT contacted the driver and told him he needed to come in immediately. About 15 minutes later he fronted, and again denied that he had the phone. He was asked where his phone was and he took it from his pocket. We then started the GPS tracking again and lo & behold both phones were showing as being at the DLT office. He continued to deny having the phone despite the GPS saying otherwise. DLT called the police and when they arrived and searched him, my phone was in his pocket. I got my phone back and he was arrested. DLT cancelled his taxi drivers license, and as he was the owner of the taxi they also cancelled his vehicle taxi registration on the spot. Don't know what the police did to him, but as far as I'm concerned DLT does act on complaints about taxi drivers submitted via the app.

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

that won't work. 

Yes it will. At the minimum, the Taxi Driver will cave in and you will get a free ride, while he seeks a less prepared, probably Chinese, victim.

*Snap picture of Taxi ID card with phone* "I call Police"......

Maybe Im overly anal, but if I am cabbing it and dont know the best way to get there, I run Google Maps as we drive. Eliminates those silly surprises. And maybe Im overly tolerant because I dont whinge over a 30 baht excess fare. Maybe because I normally tip anyway, just not to the scrote who just jacked me.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:26 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Start by contacting the Tourist Police

call centre 1155

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/1155TPB/

16 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

that won't work. DLT have an app you can download for free specifically for the purpose of reporting shonky taxis or in the event you get a really good one to give them a wrap. The app has provision within it to take a pic, so you can take a photo of the meter, and the drivers credentials whilst in the cab, and even better yet the driver.  When I was living in BKK i reported several taxis for different reasons and some of them got fined, some lost their license and the 2 that ripped me off were made to refund the rip off amount in person at the nearest DLT to where I was living.  So some things do actually work as intended. I even had one occurrence where my mobile fell out of my pocket and it got left in the taxi unbeknown to me. I contacted DLT, they contacted the driver and he denerd that the phone was left in his taxi. Unfortunately for him, I was able to trace the whereabouts of my phone using GPS, and as DLT gave me the tgaxi drivers phone # so my partner could speak to him, I was able to track his phone too. We went to DLT and showed them the tracking for both phones which were in identical locations. DLT contacted the driver and told him he needed to come in immediately. About 15 minutes later he fronted, and again denied that he had the phone. He was asked where his phone was and he took it from his pocket. We then started the GPS tracking again and lo & behold both phones were showing as being at the DLT office. He continued to deny having the phone despite the GPS saying otherwise. DLT called the police and when they arrived and searched him, my phone was in his pocket. I got my phone back and he was arrested. DLT cancelled his taxi drivers license, and as he was the owner of the taxi they also cancelled his vehicle taxi registration on the spot. Don't know what the police did to him, but as far as I'm concerned DLT does act on complaints about taxi drivers submitted via the app.

How nice. It took the 4th and 8th post to try and answer the main purpose of the original subject. You were both informative to me.  I am much like lopburi3.  Use taxis all the time, but only rarely is there an obvious tamper meter. Now I know what to do.

17 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

What is the app?

6 hours ago, elgenon said:

What is the app?

The original app is no longer available. The replacement app is called DLT Check In Plus. It's available for android phones in Play Store ( just checked my phone ). Don't know if it's available for Apple phones.

I've reached AoT after there was no response to a message to the Tourist Police.

That meter ran in 1-Baht increments and resebled more a CB rig than the usual meter. In addition, it jumpoed in 1-Baht-increments instead of the usual 2-Baht steps. And the distance was not shown.

1 hour ago, onlycw said:

I've reached AoT after there was no response to a message to the Tourist Police.

That meter ran in 1-Baht increments and resebled more a CB rig than the usual meter. In addition, it jumpoed in 1-Baht-increments instead of the usual 2-Baht steps. And the distance was not shown.

So much for paying a surcharge to get a 'safe' taxi at the airport! By the way, tried to get DLT check in plus via the play store, nothing there. I assume the only ways to report is (like you suggest) via AoT, the Tourist Police or call the DLT. There is also an option via their website (http://ins.dlt.go.th/cmpweb/), only in Thai but google can translate, asks for very detailed information.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:55 AM, TigerandDog said:

The original app is no longer available. The replacement app is called DLT Check In Plus. It's available for android phones in Play Store ( just checked my phone ). Don't know if it's available for Apple phones.

I didn't see anything in Apple. If you should check a friend's Apple and find it please let me know. Thanks.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:22 AM, lopburi3 said:

Have been using taxi for 50 years (when meters were hat racks) and since they came into use have not had more than a handful that may have been fast - and even then it was only about 20% more total fare (which would be a normal tip in most countries).  At the extremely low price and convenience of taxi service in Bangkok can not get that excited about the few bad apples, but would expect to only pay what on meter if felt it was fast.  Normally would provide small change/tip.  It is probably best not to get on the hit list of the few that use such systems.

A few bad apples?  A whole orchard I would say. They are scammers extraordinary. Try to get one to even use the meter, especially after 10pm.  Try to get a reasonable fare from the Grand Palace back to Central Bangkok, impossible.  It must be one of the very worst big City taxi services in the World. It has got noticeably worse in the last 15 years. 

Archived